1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

police radar and tinted windows.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ckeeton, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sep 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :eek: sorry Jeff just kidding. I know you are a fair police officer

2. Sep 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non

This may be true but if you get a really cheapo (free in a magazine) radar it will pick up radar 3 states over. I had an old radar that never missed a cop... Ever..... I am not too sure what the deal was with it but it could detect some unreal distances. I had it up until I was pulled for speeding in town (55 in a 35..... And before you start on m e about the speeding which I never really do. It's a 300 foot section of road that you exit onto from a 55mph and enter onto a 55mph right after the section of 35mph) Long story longer the cop that stopped me actually broke that old radar detector. It had been moved from vehicle to vehicle and I was showing it to the officer that stopped me (because he noticed I put on brakes almost the exact same time he nailed me) So he wanted to see what kind of radar it was, much to his surprise it was a no name cheapo job, and while he was looking at it hep lightly pushed on the power supply and it popped into the unit making it a paper weight. :D Yep all that for not much reward at all :confused:. JOE>

3. Sep 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Hey Susan, check out the Impulse Red Color Combo thread and let us know what cool things you've done to your taco with colors and mods and such!

4. Sep 10, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Gosh .... that's a tough luck story ...... :rolleyes:

5. Sep 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Before I was a police officer I had a Valentine One and it could detect instant on being used over a mile ahead of me and had an instant on alert. Basically it would give me a low level signal, then silence, a moderate level signal, then silence, finally aan instant on trigger. So I rarely got tickets and I drove 100mph as my standard cruising speed. However, when you speed that much you still get 3-4 tickets a year. Almost prevented my becoming an officer.

Long story short... it did not matter if I was in the untinted Corvette C5 or the tinted Infinity G35, the radar worked the same.

6. Sep 10, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    yup

:thumbsup:

7. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Ha ha I wonder if it is the same as mine :D
    I bought mine for my 90 miles one way commute to work driving chip'ed Tdi.
    That thing never missed a trooper. Plus it had "hide" mode so it was not in plain sight. Best investment ever. :)
    Its been in the box for past few years

8. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:42 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    I thought instant-on was/is pushing the limits of the technology (i.e., I thought that it was/is unreliable)?

Anyone?

[EDIT: By "instant-on", I'm referring to the MPH Industries models Bee III and Enforcer on K and Ka bands in POP mode.]

9. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Aren't they all instant on at this point? Its just point and click. The only solution is to have detector sensitive enough to pickup signal from far when they use against other cars.
    Laser one is the hardest one but I would assume by now all detectors are handling that too.

10. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:52 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Laser = f**k'd. Instant-on = suspect, imo. And regarding "are they all instant on at this point", I dunno...hopefully a LEO will chime in and give us citizens some insight.:notsure:

11. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    never got a speeding ticket since my V1 has been installed...:D

12. Sep 10, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Laser is harder for detector but not impossible. Good detector will detect soon enough.

13. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:00 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Eh...I've got the best, imho (V1), and it can never be soon enough.:) If I remember correctly, the V1 manual indicates that you're basically screwed if shot w/Laser. Who knows...never had a non-junk Laser signal (so far as I'm aware, only GMC/Chevy/Cadi tail lights have ever set off my Laser warning).

14. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    V1 is good but never was the best for laser. Dont know why? you would think with sensors outside it should be able to detect laser sooner but I think people mounted them too low to the ground to pickup laser.

15. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    But when you have a detector that detects instant-on... :D

Yes, the only thing saving you (and there is still a chance) are laser jammers. Yes, I have had them and they work. But only to certain distances. I have seen my friends' citations and the most common range the LEOs use the lasers are at distances of about 800-1200 feet (extremely rough estimate). That is the perfect distance for a laser jammer because you are basically a speck in the distance and it is hard for the LEO to get your speed. So if you have jammers, this is perfect. Any shorter distance and it's game over.

Also, the V1 has been proven to be the best at picking up stray signals of laser (cars in front of you getting lasered and your V1 picks it up to basically say you could possibly be next).

I have only gotten 2 tickets. 2nd month of driving. And about 2 years ago when I turned my V1 off to slowly drive past an accident and forgot to turn it back on for the rest of the drive.

Now that I have gotten smarter about things, I sold my V1, and just do 1-8 mph over. I hope you LEOs don't mind :D

16. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:30 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Jammer = illegal, no? No thanks dude.:)

17. Sep 10, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
  18. Sep 11, 2010 at 4:10 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    out of curiosity...how does your detector detect something thats not there?

19. Sep 11, 2010 at 5:32 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    I think you all are getting confused by the term "instant on".

If you are running radar, the unit is always "on" - meaning it is powered up.
    HOWEVER, that does not mean that it is sending out radar signals.

The term is called putting the unit on "hold", it can instantly be taken off hold and a radar speed given on the target vehicle.

If a unit is on "hold"....NO DETECTOR...let me repeat...NO DETECTOR will give any warning...because there is no signal being sent from the radar unit.

Once a signal is sent and the detector goes off...its too late, you can't slow down faster than a radio wave travels.

^--- This applies for Car-Mounted Radar Units.

All LIDAR units are hand-held, you pull the trigger...you send the laser beam.
    No trigger pull = no laser beam sent.

If some department out there still uses a handheld RADAR unit, it may be the same way as LIDAR...but i am not sure because our department doesn't even own any.

Radar tickets are a dime a dozen...we don't have to be sneaky with them, i can sit in my favorite hole and keep my radar on (sending out signals) and within 4 minutes i'll have someone going 15+ over the speed limit.

Check out the video of how hold works.

O and BTW this "instant on" stuff has pretty much been around forever, even the old dinosaur units in our crappy old cars that take up half the dash have a hold function.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnmY-dOyQRk

20. Sep 11, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    A detector that detects "instant on", means it has high sensitivity, so it will pick up a very weak k band....aka: hopefully someone getting clocked in front of you....if no one is getting clocked then there is no "instant on" protection because there is no weak signal for it to pick up.

If you are a victim of "instant on", and you are the target vehicle...its too late.

Products Discussed in

To Top