1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Taco sold to me with a 149k km. Turns out it's 149k miles. What can I do?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by SlimDigg, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    Hollywood22

Hollywood22 Wranglin the Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Generation X
    OME Lift, LR UCA's
    I haven't read this entire post, but don't settle for this b/s. Although you and/or the garage should have picked up that it was an American vehicle. The vendor should have done his homework and known. I find it hard to believe that he didn't know this.

I would contact the dealer and have him refund you the money. He will have no trouble selling that vehicle.

If he refuses, take him to small claims court. It costs very little to conduct a trial in small claims court and the standard of guilt is way less than in criminal court. I would also speak to the dealership that sold the vehicle to him. Find out whether they new it was American and whether they told him.

Until then have fun in your new ride. After all it is still a Taco.

Good Luck man.

2. Sep 17, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Wow! that's a 56,418 mile diffrence. From what the ad said.

3. Sep 17, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Well it appears to be a very nice truck. It is a Limited (color matched bumpers and flares indicate this, if I am not mistaken) and appears to have cruise control, etc., so it looks loaded and would fetch a premium value exclusive of other issues.

So did the inspection include the rusty frame check (rusty frame replacement issue) and are there any other maint. records with it? Assuming you keep the truck, make sure your dad gets them if he can. Assuming a V6, timing belt change is due every 90k MILES, so it should have been done already.

4. Sep 17, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    Hambone155

Hambone155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    omaha
    Vehicle:
    Causing Butthurt is my job
    port and polish intake manifold, supercharger, pulley for charger, lifted, tires, deckplate, (doing full engine build)
    take it back and tell um its bs!

5. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg [OP] We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    the bracket holding the gas tank was cracked (replaced), and the front upper ball joints were replaced. The ball joints could have waited but I just wanted to get it done. Other than that they say she's pretty sound. Probably have to get a new muffler but i was thinking of doing the exhaust anyways. Timing belt was done earlier in it's life.

The only records that came with the truck was a manual for the aftermarket car starter, keyless entry, and i think my old man said 2 bill of sales, one from the private seller for me, and his from before that at from the dealership. Also, oil change sticker and timing belt sticker on the engine.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend doing to a high mileage vehicle? I'm gonna seafoam it, then a good wash, clay, polish, wax. Was also wanting synthetic fluids, would that be a no no after running regular (i'm assuming) for so long?

6. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Oh, you had the upper ball joints replaced. OK, good, but run the VIN on totoyaowners.com to see if the LBJ recall (limited batch of factory flawed parts) has been done on it. If one fails, it is potentially deadly. This affects mainly 01s and maybe some 02s, if I am not mistaken. I just had mine done. You will get a free alignment out of it, too.

You can run the synthetic, but it may knock loose some deposits, so you may want to do a shorter change interval initially or just change the filter again after 1000 miles or so to get the particulates out. You could also run a partial-synthetic blend initially, and transition to full synth eventually.

You should grease all the driveline zerks and swap out the diff and transfer oils just for gaining familiarity with (and confidence in) your truck headed into winter. Swap out the coolant, too. Use the pink Toyota stuff from the dealer. And inspect all the other fluids for condition.

Check the shocks. If they are original (I think blue Tocikos on this truck), they are probably shot and should be replaced for better handling and control. Could be a safety issue. Go drive it in some crappy, bumpy highway fast in curves to see how it behaves...

Pull a plug and check the gap and burn. If OK, leave them. If you need new ones, go with only the factory Densos. They are cheap and correct.

Edit: And go get it on the dirt (not pavement) and make sure the 4wd and diff lock are fully functional. Are you familar with 4WD in general?

7. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma

That Dodge in the back ground looks pretty sweet.

8. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    I'd be slamming synthetic in it as soon as possible. If you take care of it it will last forever.

9. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg [OP] We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    I am total noob when it comes to vehicles, this is the first one i've actually wanted to take pride in.

10. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Well cool, it is a vehicle worth taking pride in. Welcome! Start searching....you can find all that info on this site! We'll turn you into a grease monkey in no time.

Here's a good place to start:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...-compiled-list-helpful-links.html#post1820599

Also google "spark plug burn" and you should find a nice color guide with pictures and descriptions. But I bet you'll find it has no issues and is burning a nice cinnamon brown. But if the gaps are too large/worn, putting new plugs in with the correct gap is the best performance "mod" you can do...btw, plugs change interval is 30k MILES, you'll have to translate to Kanaydiun units...;)

The truck should have an owner's manual for correct 4WD and diff lock operation. Study and practice before you need it. It is not AWD...

11. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg [OP] We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    ya ive been all over this website, learning everything I can. No manual though...gonna have to look it up online. I'll probably buy one if I see one.

12. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Cool.

1. You might be able to scare up a Candian owner's manual from the local Toyota dealer or order it. Possibly the maintenance schedule, too.

2. If you register on toyotaownersonline.com, I believe you can download the maintenance schedule/interval info...that will be key for KM rather than mile intervals, if they provide the info. Otherwise, get out your calculator...

3. Buy the Haynes maint. manual. It ain't great, because it applies to early Tundras and 4 Runners, too, but it is good enough for basic stuff.

4. Download the 2003 FSM:

13. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    ou81truck

ou81truck Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    Ventshades,Shorty Antenna,WeatherTech Liners
    Judge Judy!!!!!

14. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    crazyasu45

crazyasu45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB 4X4 TRD SPORT
    3" SUSPENSION LIFT
    Buhahahaha!!!

15. Sep 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg [OP] We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    I cant register on this website as I live in canada and it only accepts american address. Tried registering with clubtoyota.com (the canadian equivalent), had to phone them, then they basically said you can't join until the vehicle has been registered where I live.

16. Sep 19, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    whitetacoma1

whitetacoma1 White Tacoma 4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 and 1997 tacoma 4x4
    3" toytec Lift front OME 885s and AAL in the back
    didnt you do a car fax it would have shown when it entered canada. I bought a Audi A4 from the usa and it showed it.

17. Sep 20, 2010 at 2:50 AM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    Call your local news channel investigation line.

18. Oct 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    Chris D.

Chris D. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma RZN150 turbo
    2RZ-FE Turbo Intercooled, standalone........... Exactly 150% more power to the wheels than stock at the wheels. Supra transmission, 4 linked rear, QA1 coilovers all around, S-Runner rear sway bar, Corbeau bucket seats, forged 5 spoke 17x9 wheels, Wilwood 12.19" 4 piston brakes, Ford 9" rear end (early bronco) 31 spline, full floater, big bearing, 3.50 gears, trac-lock. fully functioning air conditioning and cruise control....

The vin # would be a dead giveaway of it being a US or CDN market vehicle..
    I'd get the money back..
    fraud is fraud even if they say they had no idea.. come on, give me a break.. ;) lol

If your accepting the anal rape, more power (and less money) to ya!

19. Oct 12, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Gee, what a helpful post. I'm sure the OP will appreciate it.

20. Oct 13, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    arizonataco

arizonataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix Arizona
    Firestone Airbags ARE Camper Shell
    Sorry about your situation.

Would you please post the name and address of the dealer so other people will know were NOT to buy there next vehicle?
    There is some Federal Law about not being actual mileage KM/M that might be your salvation. Also,if your in USA contact your states Attorney General and Corperation Commision

Good luck and you still have a nice vehicle!

Mike

Products Discussed in

To Top