1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare tire used full-time?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Joey_Buttafuoco, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Sep 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    Joey_Buttafuoco

Joey_Buttafuoco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Watertown, Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg. Cab 4x4 Silver
    avid offroad light-bar, URD short-throw shifter, fj steelies, 265-70/17 firestone destination a/t's, magnaflow 10425, tonneau cover, rear diff. breather mod, stubby antenna, debadged, weathertech digitalfit floormats, seat belt chime disabled, mudflap delete, buncha stickers
    Is there any reason the spare tire (the black steelie w/ multiple holes) can't be used for normal daily driving indefinately? The tire on the rim is the exact same as what is on the stock silver 5-spoke steel wheel, so I know the tire is not the limiting factor. Perhaps the black steel wheel is thinner because it is a spare and would not hold up to potholes etc.?

Let me know your thoughts...

The reason I am asking is that I really prefer the look of the base black steel wheel on the base fj cruiser, but here in New England every FJ has the alloy wheels and I cannot find anything for sale (Ive been checking craigslist, fj cruiser forum buy/sell threads, etc). Since our spare tire is so similiar in looks (i know ours is 16 vs the fj's 17) i came up with an idea...

If it seems that besides looks, there is no difference between the two types of steel wheels then here is my plan. Since Im sure that Im in the minority preferring the look of the spare tire, I would see if I could get 4 members to trade there spare for one of my stock steel wheels. I think it would be a win/win, they would have a matching set of 5 wheels, and i would have the same, but with the 5 black steelies..............am i crazy?

they would be going on this...
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 20, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    You might look to see if you can find some sort of dress-up for the "spare" wheels. Dog-dish hubcap or something.

3. Sep 20, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
  4. Sep 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM
    trd7

trd7 4wd tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl auto
    AEM air intake
    his looks good^

Products Discussed in