1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CoreyJon's Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Coreyjon, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sep 23, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon [OP] Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    I live in the North East, and I like to go and play even when the weather turns for the worse, I especially like to play in the snow. I'm not trying to build the ultimate Mall Crawler, or the next Baja Winner (Not that I wouldn't like a truck like that). My goals are a bit more modest. I'm looking for 2" or so overall lift, with a level to very slightly nose down (not the inch there is now) with a firmer more responsive suspension which may make up for the softer All-Weather tires I'm experimenting with now. It's equal parts look as it is utility.

Parts/Mods:
    1) 165/70R17 Nokian WRg2 All-Weather tires on TRD Sport wheels

Parts ordered/about to order:
    1) Billstein 5100 front and rear
    2) Wheelers Off-Road 1.5" 3-Leaf progressive rate AAL

Long Term:
    1) Really looking at that Avid Light Bar
    2) BHLM
    3) Satoshi Grill
    4) Ultra gauge or Scan gauge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nokian WRg2 All-Weather Tire Review:

[​IMG]

I got the Nokians mounted today and so far these things stick to the ground like tank treads, so since there are always trade offs here is what I've found. On dry asphalt these things grip, but because of the softer nature of tread compound they are not as responsive as the Dunlops were (although they were like slicks - could whip the rear end around any turn with almost no effort). They seem to have balanced without any problems (there are no weights on the rear tires), and they ride very quite. I'm running 38 Psi in the front and rear for now. I'll definitely update this once I hit some weather.

Now that I've got the 165/70R17's on there - the truck already looks much better, the tires fill out the wheel wells, and it looks almost like this was the way the truck was supposed to come.

2. Oct 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    T0y0ta05

T0y0ta05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Sport DC Tacoma
    Bone stock other than new floor mats.
    I was looking at the same exact tires this time last year as a replacement to the OEM tires, but forturnately I had enough tread left to go another year. However, I remember those tires being really expensive. I believe around $185 out the door so I'd be curious what you paid and where you got them. I also wonder how well they will wear/last given the softer tread compound used for the additional grip. On a side note, why did you go with the taller tire (70)? I suspect they didn't make our OEM size (65) at the time of your purchase? Checking their website shows our size in there though. http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11955&group=2.01&name=Nokian+WRG2+SUV FWIW, I think your tire size above should be 265 and not 165? Last question, did you consider the SUV tire from Nokian as well? I suspect they are cheaper? http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11883&group=2.01.02&name=Nokian+WR+SUV

3. Oct 9, 2010 at 4:00 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    are they 265 or 165

Products Discussed in

To Top