1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icom F121 2meter Radio / Repeater Use?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by rzimm001, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Sep 26, 2010 at 12:45 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I just purchased an Icom f-121 race radio along with the software and cable to program it. I am trying to get on a couple local repeaters and haven't been having any luck. The software allows you to do tone control and I entered in the tones that were listed on the Socal Repeater List. Still can't get a response from the repeater. Any ideas? This radio is suppose to have tone control so it should be able to get on a repeater right? I entered in the rx #, the tx # (offset -0.600), and the tone. Help:confused:

2. Sep 26, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
  3. Sep 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
  4. Sep 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    N3ZAT

N3ZAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Coatesville,Pa.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    saws up front/TC UCA/rear AAL
    what is the call sign ?

5. Sep 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    145.220 pl 103.5

I finally managed to get on the repeater. Possibly a low battery or high swr was contributing to my difficulties. Now the radio works flawlessly and I'm very happy with the addition.

IMG_2169.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg

6. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    thebrendanimal

thebrendanimal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Centreville, VA
    I'm about to install my Yaesu 2 meter radio, hopefully below the new Pioneer single deck stereo I just got. How did you get faceplate with the two separate boxes to make that installation? Did you have to cut it yourself?

7. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    That's a single DIN adapter and it comes with the two compartments. I have my yaesu installed exactly the same way. There was no cutting necessary for my install..

8. Dec 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    BenMara

BenMara That Asian RedNeck

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Belton/Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SCed
    TRD Blower, Ham Radio, DBA T2 Rotors
  9. Dec 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
  10. Dec 29, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:

11. Dec 29, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    thebrendanimal

thebrendanimal New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    Centreville, VA
    Thanks, I just looked up the single DIN adapter. I'll order it once I shop it a bit, and get the install going. I'm excited about this, thanks again.

12. Dec 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    You'll love it. Best mod I've done to my truck yet. Post some pics when you finish.

13. Dec 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I would like to learn how to use repeaters. Haven't put any effort into learning it. How hard is it?

14. Dec 29, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Most repeaters have what's called a tone. More or less it's like a password that you transmit when your on the frequency used by a repeater. Without the tone, the repeater will not re-transmit your signal. With the tone, your effective range is nearly quadrupled by the repeater. Pretty awesome. I have Santiago peak, palomar, wildomar and the ridgeline repeater programmed into my radio. It's not something you can just use at your leisure though. Some repeaters are private. Others are open but you don't want to hog the frequency because other people may want to use it.

15. Dec 29, 2011 at 10:39 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    My owners manual should explain it right?

16. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Yes. The manual should lay it all out for you. My radio was not really intended to be adjusted without the aid of a computer program so my directions didn't discuss repeaters or tones. Fortunately the computer software I bought later did.

17. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:15 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I will look into it. Thanks man. And that's a clean install. I like the look.

18. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:20 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:

I had to make a few behind the scenes modifications though. I had to cut out out a portion of the din (back side) to allow room for the heat sink. Second mod is a 12v cooling fan (from radioshack) that kicks on when the radio is turned on. I had some problems with the radio getting super hot due to poor ventilation in the dash. Now with the fan it never overheats.

19. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Nice. I put mine in that change tray behind the two main cup holders. I have a double din radio so no room there.

20. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    programming a repeater pair by hand is a pain..doesnt matter what radio you have. but programming a radio with good software can be done in minutes with no effort!!!

repeaters expand coverage immensely..we all grasp that concept. but heres a good example. with just my 5watt handheld with the stock antenna im able to talk to peeps in big bear on the big bear lake repeater..and that's hitting it from Monrovia. i can also hit the Catalina Island repeater from my house with my handhelds. gets better then that, get on the right linked repeater system and you can talk to any where in the US

Products Discussed in

To Top