1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NECESSARY Rant

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by saf023, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Oct 4, 2010 at 3:25 AM
    saf023

saf023 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    When low air pressure in my spare kicked off the dash tire pressure warning light the first time I'm the dummy that didn't flip the spare over so I would have to drop it in order to put air in it. That was my fault.

I like my truck - a lot. What I don't like is the piece of crap extension tool with the "hook" on the end that the Toyota engineers give you to lower the spare. Slipping the ~3' extension tool into the little cutout and trying to align the hook into the slot of the lowering mechanism has to take the prize for the most Mickey Mouse POS I've seen on an otherwise well engineered truck.

God help the person that needs the spare on the side of a dark road one night. I was in a well lite garage and the only way I could get the hook coupled with the slot was to crawl under the truck, reach my arm over the spare tire (that has 15K miles of road dirt on it) and blindly align the two pieces by feel.

WHAT A CRAP DESIGN. TOYOTA, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR --- AND PASS THE COUPLE OF DOLLARS ON TO THE CONSUMER AND PROVIDE A DECENT DESIGN TO SAFELY AND EASILY ACCESS THE SPARE!

Rant over...

2. Oct 4, 2010 at 3:34 AM
    Cogge89

Cogge89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, Kicker ZX400.1 Amp, Kicker CVT 10" Sub. Light Racing UCAs, Front OME Shocks with 885x Coils, Rear OME Shocks with Dakar Leaf Pack, Engine Cover Paint Job, 265/70/17 Duratracs.
    I practice putting that tool into that hole at night with my girlfriend. I tell her that it's for our safety, we may need to get the spare tire out sometime. She looks confused for a moment, but eventually gives in.

3. Oct 4, 2010 at 3:35 AM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    put a little white paint on the adapter under the truck so its easier to see. My dodge was like that too. Its common.

4. Oct 4, 2010 at 3:37 AM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    This sort of mechanism is pretty standard on other trucks, too. One thing you can do is get the McGard spare tire lock. It comes with a little cylinder you gently tap in place over the part that turns in the lowering mecnahism. It also has a "key" part that snaps onto your existing spare tire crank rod. I think it is a little easier to get the key into the socket blindly than the OEM rod end in the slot. Plus it gives you a little security.

5. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I get it.

6. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Get a flashlight and put it in your glove box.

7. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:30 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    [​IMG]

And I've used that spare lower contraption a few times between this truck and the one on my last truck too....and didn't take all that much work for me. For the amount of times that I have used the spare- I'd rather not spend more money for an automatic electronic spare lowering and install device....

8. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    :laugh:

9. Oct 4, 2010 at 5:03 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    I painted that socket part black and then took a yellow paint marker and painted just the edge bright yellow with several coats of a paint pen. Posted it on another thread already. Should be in the cheap MODS section.
    I think I figured out why the tire seeming hangs with the valve up instead of down. It has to do with the shape of the rim and the amount of mud that will fit up there if it's valve stem down. A lot more mud. I think it hangs the way it does for drainage to tell you the truth.

Everybody should take the spare off and put it back on at least once before you have to do it on the side of the road. It's a little bit tricky the first time you do it for sure. Second time is a charm.

10. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2. I've got one of those you have to shake to get a charge. They're not overly bright but you don't have to worry about batteries if you're really in a bind.

11. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    x3. It makes it soooo much easier even in bright daylight.

12. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    I bought a spare tire inflation hose at camping world.It screws on your spare tire and then I drilled a hole in the bracket for my trailer plug and mounted the other end there.Works great.If you mount your spare valve down it makes the tire hang lower under the truck.

13. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    so you can practice jerking it while getting sub optimal light all at the same time! :rolleyes:

those shake lights are about as usefull as these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoJ9XDH-eO8&feature=related

get a real flashlight! Maglight

14. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    haha the shake weight! unreal.... the person who made it is prob rich too... wtf

15. Oct 5, 2010 at 6:49 AM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    Sorry -- my GMC 1500 Z71 was a bigger PIA especially since the instructions list a procedure that is not anything like what you actually need to do to change the tire. As a result I wast 30 min on the side of a mountain on a rock infested climb trying to make something work that was not needed.

16. Oct 5, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I don't think the soccer mom's could figure out how to lower the spare...I smell a recall :eek:

17. Oct 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Whats so difficult about putting air in the spare tire?

18. Oct 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    i dont get it either. i have never dropped my spare and have pput air in there and checked the air pressure :notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top