1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

**ARB LOCKER**

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sandman427, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 7, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
  2. Oct 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    it wasnt an arb, and if i stopped and engaged it it wouldnt have broken. one whhel spinning faster than the other and then engaging the locker puts a serious shock on the system...

my wrong decision was flipping the switch while my foot was on the gas...;)

3. Oct 7, 2010 at 10:33 PM
    eight3one_offroad

eight3one_offroad Honey your two French Fries short of a Happy Meal.

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 with a few things.
    Optima Red Top 34R, OME 885 / N140S + 5100 rear, TSB leaf pack, Camburg Ball Joint UCA, Wheelers Diff drop, AEM Brute Force Intake with filter wrap, Summit Super Turbo muffler, Llumar 5% tint, Pioneer single din head unit, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in stock location, Sonar LED tails. Sway Bar removal. Charcoal filter delete. Stant 11509 Locking Gas Cap.
    So now you want to do high speed desert runs and then climb hills now?

OH AMIR...

4. Oct 8, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    yup... and then crawl the pyramids when i visit my family in egypt haha... but the reason y i ask is that the hill climbs dont look "bad" so to speak as long as you not rock crawling right??... then again im not a super pro off roader like some of u guys...

5. Oct 8, 2010 at 4:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Nobody can tell you what you can or can't do with your pre-runner. That's something you'll have to get out there and try some things.

Don't make asssumptions that with the ARB, you're suddenly soooo much more capable. With ARB, you are more capable, but...... you still need to be careful.

I've seen guys run trails with 2WD and they usually end up using a lot of momentum & throttle to get through obstacles. Now that you have an ARB, you shouldn't need the extra throttle....However.... be forwarned, you'll probably end up trying even harder obstacles and using momentum & throttle while being locked. That - 2WD + throttle + locked = damage.

It's one thing to have 4WD and all 4 wheels are sharing the 'load' to get you through obstacles. With only 2WD - that rear axle has ALL the load put on it and when you lock it up, that's an extreme amount of load.

Use it wisely.... and if you're gonna tackle extreme obstacles, get yourself some spare axle shafts and prepare yourself in how to replace them on the trails.

6. Oct 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
    another thing that 4X4 Tacomas have over the prerunners is 4Lo
    That also helps in hill climbing

7. Oct 8, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Amir,

ARB is the way to go.

Auto lockers can have terrible on road characteristics, and they require wheel spin before locking up, which means being on the throttle. In the rocks that is a terrible proposition.

Just be careful with the hill climbing, because you'll be putting a lot of strain on the transmission.

8. Oct 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    yea for sure... there is always gonna be pros and cons to mods to the truck u just have to live with it i guess..... thanks again for all the insight...
    yup... good point...
    chase your truck is bad ass NUFF SAID lol.... haha but i get what u mean though that u have to use the throttle sparingly....

9. Oct 8, 2010 at 12:22 PM
    TacomaDan

TacomaDan Don't go off ninjin

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Woodland, CA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma Fully Not Loaded
    Love, Cobra 29 LTD BT CB w/ A2000 Highgear antenna, FOX/Fabtech Coilovers, Magnaflow
    Janster. You are indeed a wise person. I def agree with the statement you made. Lockers make you want to do crazier stuff and bein 2wd you need to be super careful because all that strain is put on the rear end. So you have 2 wheels pushing a 2 ton vehicle. It can get crazy for sure...

10. Oct 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    eight3one_offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    Optima Red Top 34R, OME 885 / N140S + 5100 rear, TSB leaf pack, Camburg Ball Joint UCA, Wheelers Diff drop, AEM Brute Force Intake with filter wrap, Summit Super Turbo muffler, Llumar 5% tint, Pioneer single din head unit, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fogs in stock location, Sonar LED tails. Sway Bar removal. Charcoal filter delete. Stant 11509 Locking Gas Cap.
    Your a cool guy now AMIR!

I don't think I know another Egyptian who is so into off roading.

:)

11. Oct 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    a no slip is a good lunchbox locker. ive heard good things about the street manners and they are only $410 on rocky-road.com

12. Oct 9, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    thanks bro...!!Cuz there probably into vneck affliction t shirts and 3 series Beamers lol... Ay but I just pulled the trigger today... I ordered my 4:56 gears and locker today... 2000$ out the Door and includes install... Gotta wait a week and half cuz the compressor is on back order... DAMN IT LOL...

13. Oct 9, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    How much... PM If u need???

14. Oct 12, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    thom

thom I am so there

Member:
    First Name:
    Thom
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    95' Tacoma
    is the no slip a locker or just limited slip?

15. Oct 12, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What exactly are you referring to?

Those words in general can refer to a different type of locker depending on the 'brand'. There are soooooo many different traction devices and they all work differently and are called different things.

16. Oct 12, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    No slip is a locker. Not a limited slip.

No slip is a "street friendly" locker made by powertrax.

Same as a lockright but the no slip has a cushioned actuator so it's quieter.

17. Oct 13, 2010 at 12:32 AM
    eight3one_offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    You got that right AMIR! they like driving bimmers and V necks to show there hairy chest. Reminds me of Armenian! haha. Don't worry your a cooler Egyptian offroader. No worries we got to pay to play :)

- Rich

Products Discussed in

To Top