1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

weird pop, and weird steering...?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by drifter, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    drifter

drifter [OP] moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    Ok, today I got stuck in a little bit of mud. I had to be pulled out backwards 5-10 feet. After getting towed out, I took off and started to leave. After 15 feet or so I heard this loud pop. I kept driving and briefly checked under the truck to see if everything was ok when I stopped a few minutes later. I didn't see anything except some mud jammed between the skid plate and the rack-and-pinion stuff.
    [​IMG]
    Later on, while backing out of a parking space, I noticed my front tires were about straight on, and my steering wheel was 45 degrees off center or so. Once I started driving it went back to normal, but it will still do it if I stop and turn the wheel some. Is this normal?

2. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    No, thats not normal.

3. Oct 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM
    drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    dang, now i'm scared.

4. Oct 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    get it checked out asap. last thing you want to happen while driving down the interstate is for your steering let go

5. Oct 9, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    shoot

about a year ago I had the rack and pinion repaired, or something like that. I don't think it could've been anything I did in the mud. I turned the wheels in the mud back and forth some...

I checked the slop between the wheel and the shaft down at the firewall...there's a slight amount of movement. My steering wheel tilts if that helps any...been reading some stuff on steering problems, so I thought I'd add that in their.

Products Discussed in

To Top