1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Breaking and entering

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by beastlytaco, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Oct 30, 2008 at 9:05 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    If a person has the balls to get past these they are gonna take some lead cas they mean buisness!!:D

outdoors and bike 009.jpg

2. Oct 30, 2008 at 9:08 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

do i have a taser? absolutely
    would i continue to hit someone with it until the police arrive? absolutely NOT

we have an officer who used to work for my dept in the middle of an investigation now that hit someone 6 times with the taser...the guy is now claiming excessive force and all kinds of medical issues stemming from the tasing...

in reality the cop did the guy a favor and kept him from swallowing a couple bags of crack...which kept him alive...but now he has nerve damage etc which he claims are from the tasing

again...if someone breaks into my house i see 2 options
    1. get my family etc OUT without confrontation and call authorities
    2. shoot to kill because there was confrontation and my family's life/safety was in danger

ive been hit with a taser

at this point...you could put the taser to my forehead and i'm not backing down...but i'd for damn sure back down from a firearm

3. Oct 30, 2008 at 9:17 AM
    Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin,NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD V6 4x4
    metra ipod
    He should of let him swallow the shit. "To serve and protect" You cant protect everyone and especially one's that are going to do what they want anyway. Now it's going to court and there's a possibilty that the crack head will get money fuck that.

4. Oct 30, 2008 at 9:50 AM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    Proximity Mines.. activate them at night.. then when someone.. anyone comes in the yard.. BOOM!!!.. it will also work to keep teenagers from breaking curfew, if they know they gotta be home by 11 or boom they will sure as hell get home on time

5. Oct 30, 2008 at 10:16 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    well said!

6. Oct 30, 2008 at 10:19 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    yeah get a stolen one so when you kill the next dirtbag and dump him in the woods you are safe

7. Oct 30, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    Tigerfan, have you seen the new civilian Taser C2 (kind of a stupid qestion as I'm sure you have)? Supposedly it's a 30 second ride. I had 5 and that was enough for me. And if you use it and it's justified, Taser International will replace either the taser or the head, depending on the circumstances.

We're waiting for the 12 gauge taser cartidge to be released so we can experiment with them.

8. Oct 30, 2008 at 12:41 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

i've seen that...5 seconds was more than enough for me too...i dont know the specs but im betting its a bit "less" than the police issue x26...regardless...30 seconds of immobility would suck...

i thought the 12ga taser was out already? ive seen videos on it for almost a year now i think

9. Oct 30, 2008 at 12:51 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    another note...

should someone break in and you choose confrontation (for whatever reason)

understand that even pointing/presenting a firearm is considered deadly force and you better be able to back up and articulate why you felt deadly force necessary

basically...if you pull it out you'd damn well better be ready to use it...and assume youre going to have to...

theres no point in even owning a gun for home defense if youre not comfortable with the fact that you may, in fact, have to shoot and kill someone with it

10. Oct 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    Zebra

Zebra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 2.7L 4x2 Reg. Cab 5-speed
    Volant ram air and CAI setup, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pioneer DEH-3900MP
  11. Oct 30, 2008 at 2:25 PM
    Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franklin,NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD V6 4x4
    metra ipod

That's why I said get a Tazer

12. Oct 30, 2008 at 4:34 PM
    stucksucksnayota

stucksucksnayota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    14 Taco 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    OEM roof rack, Shorty antenna (eBay), soft tonneau cover, K&N drop in air filter, bed mat, interior LED lights, 5100's, MT tires to come soon!!!
    Ok so Ive been reading this thread and I know that the laws are diffrent in each state and maybe im missing something but. If someone beaks into the house and I pull the gun out kill his ass I could probably go to jail. Or if I pepper him with bird shot and he lives he will probably sue me for his medical bills and stuff of that nature? I asking that as a question because I have always heard if they are in your house which IMO they are probably in some way endangering you or your family then you can kill them and not get in trouble for it with the law? But the more I think about how everything is these days if you did that you would probably get put in jail 2.

3 scenarios what should we do

1. You hear a noise (say something falling over) in your living room so you get your pistol just in case you walk in there and the robber is walking around looking for stuff to steal. What do you do?

2. Same a 1 but the guy sees you and starts to approach you and stuff. I think its obvious that you take the shot to kill.

3. What if you walk in on a robber and he doesn't notice you but you see he has a gun or knife on him that he could use and hurt or kill you or a family member what do u do?

This may seen kind of dumb that im asking these questions but the way the world is getting I would rather know then to be left in the dark

13. Oct 30, 2008 at 5:18 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Years ago, I had a guy break into my house. I happened to be sleeping on the sofa (fell asleep watcching TV, WIfey didnt make me sleep there). I heard a noise out side of my door and it woke me. I was a little dazed comming from a sound sleep, and I thought "wouldnt that be funny if someone was breaking in?" I keep a fire arm within reach at all times, as a kid we were burglerized 7 times, and once my Dad was attacked and the Asshole broke his neck. At that instant, my door came flying in with some Dickwad standing there. Next thing I knew, I had my Smith & Wesson model 60 pointing somewhere near his head. He took off runing, and I gave chase, in my underwear, while screaming for someone to call the cops. He out ran me, but the ops caught him. I identifed him, and off he went to the Pokey. 8 hours later, I was STILL shakeing. I was scared shitless. Littlerally. I didnt poop for 2 days. Had that guy taken 1/2 step tward me, I would have popped his head like a grape. BUT, It was one of the most intense few seconds of my life. So far.

14. Oct 30, 2008 at 5:21 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    People dont realize how scary that shit is gun or not!!!!!

15. Oct 30, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    slimsdepot

slimsdepot slimsdepot.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    I personally have a Browning Hi Power 9mm with hollow points waitin for any intruder. I also agree with tacomaman. I don't shoot to maim. If someone is breaking into my house... there gonna get it!

16. Oct 30, 2008 at 6:07 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    the laws vary from state to state as to whether or not you can or cant shoot etc etc...regardless tho it will come down to how well you articulate the reasoning behind shooting him

now...just because you have the firearm and the guy is coming thru your door...that doesnt mean just pop him in the head immediately

always attempt to assess the situation at hand

in scenario 1: choose the least amount of confrontation as possible...return to your room quietly and shut the door and wait for the bastard to walk thru the door

2: announce that you will shoot him if he takes another step forward...if he so chooses...or if he makes any menacing moves or you can identify if he has a weapon...THEN take the shot (if you can safely do so and not have a round go past him into the kids room etc)

3:if you walk in and see him but he doesnt know youre there...again...least amount of confrontation as possible...get back out of the house and call the cops...be sure to get a good look at him if he tries to leave

17. Oct 30, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i think for civilian purposes...tasers have their place...however home defense is not one of them...

i feel comfortable enough with mine to use it for such but only because as soon as he hits the ground im going to have him in handcuffs...

18. Oct 30, 2008 at 6:14 PM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i'm a pretty light sleeper and you have to come up hardwood stairs to my room...and my dog sleeps even lighter than me...she may not bite anyone but she'll make a racket in her crate if someone is coming up the stairs...

my stairs also turn in the middle

unless someone is RUNNING up the stairs...i have enough time to retrieve one of my shotguns/handguns/baseball bat/taser+cuffs that i choose to use

lately here tho most home invasions are being done in broad daylight while people are away at work

we've had something like 40-45 in the past 2 months in one section of columbia alone...

if i encounter someone breaking into my house...its a good chance that i'll be happening upon them in the act because i get off around 2 in the afternoon usually

that would be a bad time for that jackass as i'll still be in uniform with all my tools at my disposal

19. Nov 2, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    Some great info here and some not so good. I'm not about to weed through 4pages to point it all out.

To answer the man's question: I need to ask a few questions 1st.
    1.Do you have any formal trainging with firearms?
    2. Are there children in the house?
    3. Are you positive that if the time came to use the firearm, you will, with the full intent to eliminate the threat?
    4. What is your budget?

Now, if you have no formal training stick with a revolver. If you do and can with out pause, clear a ftf, stovepipe, fte, then your options really come are endless.

If there are children in the house where will the firearm be stored?

If you can't fully comit to destroying the threat, do not introduce a firearm into the situation.

As far as budget goes, go onto www.gunbroker.com and type your price range and see some of your options. I'm not saying buy there, just see what guns are in the price range you have.

My opinion on a Great home, car defense gun is the Taurus Judge. 5 rounds of .410 or 45lc.

My opinion comes from 9yrs of military and 4 yrs leo. Check your local laws to see if you have any duty to retreat. In FL we have the King of the Castle doctrine and we have no duty to retreat.
    Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top