1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD 4x4 Sport Tow Hook

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jet, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    Jet

Jet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jet
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport
    Can someone please tell me what the tow hook looking device on the first pic is (drivers side)? If it is a tow hook can it be used for "recoverey" too? My Owner's Manual says the 2nd pic is a towing eyelet and can be used for towing on pavement at slows speed so I am assuming the eyelet should not be used for recoverey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    cant tell from pic if the driver side is bolted (and if so, how many and to what) or welded; the pax side looks like one bolt and no key (which would not help much any way). My gut feeling when comparing to my 09 TRD OR is: you should try NO recovery on pax side and it better not be a real bad situation on the driver side. Unless things have changed a lot from 09 to 11 I think you are seeing a diff between the Sport and the Off Road versions.

3. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    Cummins

Cummins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Winchester, Ky
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    I am no expert but the first looks like a tow hook of some type and the second is a tie down use for transport.

Robert

4. Oct 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    To strap it down in a shipping container. You can "recover" using it but you can take off the small tow hook and put on a TRD offroad. I did it before I had my bumper. Used it a few times and it was worth it. 10 minutes to swap out the tow hooks.

[​IMG]

5. Oct 22, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Jet

Jet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jet
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Sport
    The the steel loop (pic below) is shown on both the offroad and sport graphics in the owners manual but never defined. It's for shipping, okay makes since. So I need to pick up a tow hook. Unless I can find one off an offroad guess I'll pick one up at the parts store?

[​IMG]

6. Aug 21, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    Syphrum

Syphrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thousand Oaks
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCLB
    BFF Hybrid Front Bumper BFF High Clearance Rear Bumper - soon HomerTaco Grill BAMF Sliders CMC - soon Bilstein 6112/5160 Dakar Leaf Pack - medium Total Chaos UCAs OEM LCAs - thanks @gunny1005 ! Retrofit Smoked Projector Fronts/LED Rears - soon - thanks @LSC15 ! WeatherTech Floormats Sony Touch Receiver
    Preparing to install a Hybrid Tube Brute Force Fab (Shout out to Billy!) and the "Steel Loop" pictured above is in the way.

How did y'all remove this? Assume my options are grind or cut with a torch.

7. Aug 22, 2017 at 6:30 AM
    Syphrum

Syphrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thousand Oaks
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCLB
    BFF Hybrid Front Bumper BFF High Clearance Rear Bumper - soon HomerTaco Grill BAMF Sliders CMC - soon Bilstein 6112/5160 Dakar Leaf Pack - medium Total Chaos UCAs OEM LCAs - thanks @gunny1005 ! Retrofit Smoked Projector Fronts/LED Rears - soon - thanks @LSC15 ! WeatherTech Floormats Sony Touch Receiver
    Bueller? Anyone?

Several threads talk about BFF/Billy. None of them specifically mention the removal of the "steel loop" or drivers side factory tow loop.

Thanks TW!

Products Discussed in

To Top