1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Those with camper tops!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by whitetaco02, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Oct 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    whitetaco02

whitetaco02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Tinted windows, stainless steel drop hitch, rear TSB, Marathon seat covers in Realtree AP camo, low profile chrome toolbox, husky liners front and back, debadged

Seriously doubt it!

2. Oct 23, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    High-Gear

High-Gear Zombie Killer

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, DR / Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg UCA, TSB with AAL, Walker Evans 2.0 reservoir rear shocks, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt 10K Comp Winch, ARE Camper Shell, Con-Ferr Safari Rack, 4 KC Highlights on rack, 2 KC Rallye 800 on Bumper Armortech Off Road plate rear bumper. Firestone Airbags in rear, with Firestone compressor.

I dive and ride a mountain bike as well. I have a hitch mount bike carrier, to use on trips and such, but all you have to do is cut down a 2x4 and mount a cleat with a skewer to it: http://automotiveairfilters.co.cc/thule-821-low-rider-bicycle-fork-mount
    then pop off the front wheel and set the forks into the mount. back tire to toward the cab, forks toward the tailgate. You should be able to fit two bikes in the shell.

I also scuba dive and use the camper to haul my gear in a secure manner, and with the tinted windows what is out of sight is out of mind. I purchased a dyno-Lock so the tailgate locks along with the other doors via the keyfob. Also it saves quite a bit in hotel costs. If you figure $75 a night or $150 a weekend you'll pay for the camper shell in 7 trips.

3. Oct 23, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    High-Gear

High-Gear Zombie Killer

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, DR / Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg UCA, TSB with AAL, Walker Evans 2.0 reservoir rear shocks, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt 10K Comp Winch, ARE Camper Shell, Con-Ferr Safari Rack, 4 KC Highlights on rack, 2 KC Rallye 800 on Bumper Armortech Off Road plate rear bumper. Firestone Airbags in rear, with Firestone compressor.
    [​IMG]

I purchased a Con-Ferr rack that someone had on a Suburban. I think they are now Off Road Unlimited. I cut a foot out of the middle of it from 5'wide x 6.5 long so it is now 4' wide x 6.5' long, and gusseted and rewelded it. I then built an "H" style frame from 2" square steel tubing to mount to the feet, and support more weight in the basket. You can see the front of the frame in the pic above.

One of these days I'm gonna do a build thread.

4. Oct 23, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    yarik83

yarik83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yuri
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Lift kit, weight distribution hitch. Camper shell. Kayak Rack.
    I used to take have a front fork mount.. well I still do. I have yakima bike rack for 2 bikes. Reason why I dont particularly like it is because I have to put the front wheel on every time. It takes me 10 minutes to get to the trail so I need to load my bike into the truck... take off the front wheel... drive for 10 minutes... put it back in... after doing that 3 times per week since April I got rather tired of it and made myself a fancy shmancy pvc pipe bike rack. http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/goodies/TruckbedBikeRack.htm

That is partly why I dont particularly look forward to backtracking.

5. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    ninjacougar

ninjacougar New Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Do you use this homemade setup with the shell on??

Products Discussed in

To Top