1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Creeking noise after Rear Spring TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SilverTacoZack, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Oct 26, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    So, less than one week after my rear spring TSB was completed, I just started getting a hardcore creeking sound that comes from my driver side leaf pack. If i jump up and down on the tailgate area, it produces the sound. Is there some easy way to check/fix this, or should i just take it back to the dealer and have them deal with it?

2. Oct 26, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd take it in to have them work on it since you still have warranty.

3. Oct 26, 2010 at 4:43 AM
    Jimsc

Jimsc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab
    Aries Nerf Bars, Cargo Seperator
    WD-40

4. Oct 26, 2010 at 4:56 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    NO...WD-40 attracts dirt and road junk which given time will work it's way between the springs and continue the noises.

If he wants to do it himself....
    Pressure washer and some teflon or lithium style grease. Gotta jack up the truck and clean the springs out real well. Then pack the grease with a brush or something like that. Maybe wrap it with tape or a coat of paint and then see how it works.
    Also seen photos of someone putting bike tire tubes between the springs to stop rubs spots.

5. Oct 26, 2010 at 2:43 PM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    Well guys, I think I figured out the problem. I went to investigate the leaf packs, and saw that they already had the little pads between the leafs (like the TSB for the squeeky leafs) done to them. I guess the new TSB leaf packs come with that already done. Anyways, I kept looking for the real source of the noise and figured out the two bolts that hold the rear leaf hanger in were backwards! This is causing the end of the bolt to rub against the truck. Check out the damage the bolt did as the leaf hanger moved, just 4 days after the TSB was installed in the pic attached. I'm definitely going to the dealer to get this fixed tomorrow. Is this gonna damage the truck in any significant way in the mean time? Do I need to get them to sand/paint the affected metal to prevent rust?

012.jpg

6. Oct 26, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    I would be taking that back quick and getting that fixed

7. Oct 26, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    Oh yeah, definitely. I'm gonna be driving it real careful until tomorrow when I take it to the dealer.

8. Oct 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Steig

Steig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    That stinks, take it back and make them repair it.

Products Discussed in

To Top