1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

tires/spacers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Reaver, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM
    Reaver

Reaver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 DLX
    I've got a stock 95 2.7L 4x4 ext cab manual tacoma and I want to give it a bit more of an aggressive look so I thought I'd start easy with some wheel spacers and tires. I don't have a lift kit on this thing and I don't plan on doing one for now so lets work with the stock suspension, etc. What spacer brands do you guys recommend, is there any difference really? How much is too much on the spacers, I've seen 1.5" and 2", etc. At some point I'm guessing it's probably not good for the load to be distributed so far out...What about tires? And before anyone says anything yes, I used the search button, people were asking about tires for the 3" or 6" lift and so forth and for their specific application. My application would be that I want the tires to look pretty aggressive, ready to do some offroad, but especially ready for the coming snow, but not too crazy either, this is my daily driver and I do have a limited budget. Let's say $800 total on everything, and I'd prefer the tires don't rub but if it's VERY little amount of rubbing for a stock suspension I guess that's alright too. Thank you very much ahead of time :)

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 12:51 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    For wheels spacers I've heard good things about spidertrax.
    http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2293/.f

You can fit a 31x10.5 tire with stock suspension. It will scrape a body panel a bit when you are turning and compressing. IE, going up the bump pulling into the driveway or onto some streets, if there is a dip for water runoff. It isn't bad though.

EDIT: The downside is the tire will be wider then the fenders, so you will throw stuff onto the side of your truck.
    EDIT2: The extra tire width makes these trucks handle awesome in the snow/ice though.

3. Oct 27, 2010 at 12:53 AM
    Reaver

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 DLX
    Not to sound like too much of a cheap ass but those spacers are a bit pricey, no? I mean it's $100 for a pair of them, so $200 for the whole truck :p

Any recommendations on specific tires?

4. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:05 AM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Yeah, they are kinda pricey. IMO, unless your lifting and need them to correct tire tuck, skip the spacers.

I'd just get some decent all-terrain tires. Most of the tires that look really aggressive are mud tires, and they kinda suck in the snow/ice.

That being said, I did drive on nearly bald 31x10.5 mud tires all last winter without any problem. The width helps a lot.

5. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:08 AM
    Reaver

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 DLX
    Yeah I was afraid of that, can't have your cake and eat it too I guess.

I guess I'll go with functionality over the look cause it's a good 3.5 hour drive to my girlfriends parents place and we've gotta get there over the winter :p

is there anything better than tirerack for tires?

6. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:12 AM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Not that I know of, but I kinda suck at shopping. :)

I tend to go, "oooh shiny", and buy stuff.

7. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:14 AM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Here's a pic of mine with 31x10.5 tires and no lift... At least I don't think I had done the lift at this point....
    [​IMG]
    IMO, the larger tires make a pretty big difference. :)

EDIT: If your interested, these are the exact tires I've got on now.
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO&partnum=105SR5ATAKORWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
    Really depends on what you want, those are supposed to be good offroad as well.

EDIT2: I guess this is my night for editing. You can also mount a full sized spare at this tire size in the stock location, no mods needed.

8. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:33 AM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
  9. Oct 27, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    Reaver

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 DLX
    Any idea what these tires are?

DSC00222.jpg

10. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Looks like the old BFG MT KM (not KM2). If thats what it is, cant really get those anymore, unless you want 255/75R17 (32x10).

11. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    Reaver

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    95 4x4 DLX
    figures...find a pair of tires I really like and they don't make them in my size anymore :(

Products Discussed in

To Top