1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A few nerf bar questions

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Hal, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Hal

Hal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    I'm looking to get nerf bars but noticed a couple of things when I'm looking around online..

Are black bars lower quality than stainless? They always seem significantly less expensive than stainless. I'm not taking my truck rock climbing or anything though, they'd just be for cosmetic purposes and there's the added bonus of my short girlfriend not complaining about stepping up 2 feet anymore.

Also, the prices for nerf bars always have "/pr" attached and I can't think of what it means. Does it mean it is $250 per bar if a price says $250 /pr?

And finally, is there any real difference between quality of different nerf bar makers? Westin and Aries seem to be popular. I'm in Mississippi most of the year, and South Carolina some, so I rarely see snow if at all, I don't think that road salt would be much of a corrosion factor.

If there are answers to this already I apologize, I searched but couldn't find them.

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    I can help out with a few things. /pr means "per pair". Stainless is going to always be more expensive because it doesn't need to be repainted and won't rust. The black can do both. Making something stainless steel is quite an expensive process and everyone charges for it. As far as manufacturers, I've never had nerf bars so I can't comment on it. I've been considering them for my '10 regular cab and personally I've been looking at Avid. They seem to be good guys and they're members of this site. Hope this helps.

3. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    Hal

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Thanks, the /pr was my biggest question because if it was going to run me over $500 (as in $250 "per rod" or "per rail" or something) for this, then I was about to just going to scrap this idea for a while.

I guess I'm still wondering if there is a nerf maker I should stay away from or one that I should give attention to. I'll take a look at Avid.

If I'm not in a snowy region, is rust something that I need to consider much? It gets cold in the winter, but we rarely get snow or ice.

And remembering this is for cosmetic purposes, would yall think black or stainless would go better with a black truck? I'm kind of drawn to black bars but I don't know if maybe it'd look weird with the back bumper and wheels. I am planning on a bull bar in the future too, which I would probably match with the nerf bars.tac2_cdd4087cd97bda1554b7274467318449186b0914.jpg

4. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*
    dont get nerf bars man

they are so gay

5. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    Hal

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Haha. Well I might not, I at least wouldn't be buying them this week or anything. I might prefer to just get a bull bar and not bother with nerf bars. But as it is my truck looks pretty wimpy practically stock, so it needs something.

6. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    Ive got some black Westin platinum series nerf bars for sale......ill sell them too you ......real cheap. Just need them gone by thanksgiving....im moving and dont want to take them with me.

7. Nov 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    Hal

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Thank you for offering, I went ahead and bought a pair of black bars a couple weeks ago though, despite the obvious criticism. Good luck with the sale

Products Discussed in

To Top