1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leasing a Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jdkeller, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    Yesterdayz

Yesterdayz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Port Jeff Station. NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Yes, $3,500.

I also got ripped off by the dealer. Paid $500 for XM, and another $500 for remote start.

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller [OP] How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Well that's good to know.
    I'm surprised. People either have a terrible experience or a good experience. That's not really helping. haha

3. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

First get EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2nd, leasing is the WORST finantial decision any one can make!!! PERIOD!! Your not a busness. This applies even if you want to get a new vehicle every couple years!!!!

3rd, when you lease, you are renting the truck. Say a 30,000 truck. at the end of the lease you can buy it. make sure they tell you IN WRITING exactly, let me say that again, EXACTLY, what the purchase price will be. then do some math. if they say (for example) 27,000, and your lease payment a month is 100 for 3 years, you just spent 3,600 in lease payments. 30K minus 27K is 3,000 less, but you payed 3,600....now how can they say ALL of your money went to the principle???

4th, keep this in mind...are you negoteating a price to START with? meaning, are you negotiating a 30K truck lower AND THEN figureing a lease price that will apply to the principle??? or are you going to have to go with sticker, then apply any/all lease payments to principle??? If so, your getting screwed!!!

these are questions you need to ask them!!!!

In general, without hesitation, leaseing is the dumbest, most waistful thing you can do whan it comes to a vehicle and finacing.

Also, go to a bank and get the loan from them...you will get a better interest rate then at the dealer!!! there is a thing dealers do, it's called BACK DOOR FINANCING. They get you approved for X amount interest from a bank, then tack on more interest for themselves!!!!

4. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Thanks for the input. I would definitely make sure of everything beforehand. So is financing through toyota bad?

5. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I have the feeling that some people have had really bad experiences or have heard from people who have had bad experiences leasing. I'm the third one on my family to have leased. 2 From Toyota Motor Credit, the third for 5/3 leasing. The ones from Toyota Motor credit have been great with no problems at all. We nogotiated the price of the truck, then came up with a payment/buy-out/downpayment. They came back with about 6 different sets of down payments,monthly payments, and buy-outs. I was ready to leave when they came and got me with my current payments/down payment/buy-out. As many have said its like renting, but that is only if you dont plan on buying it at the end of the lease. I know 100% that I'm buying my truck after my lease is over. I plan on paying cash for it as I refuse to pay more that 60 months for a vehical. It really just depends on if you are going to buy it at the end of the lease as to if you can go over your miles/mods. Mods/miles/condition doesn't matter if you buy it at the end of the lease. I know some dealerships lover to screw people with leases, mine fortunatly was great, everything was upfront and easy to understand w/ no fine print. If you do lease make sure you go thru Toyota Motor Credit, they dont try to screw you w/ fine print or anything like that. Everything is very clear.

6. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I was ruling it out but I will look into it once again.

7. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I think its worth a second look, GL w/ your choice.

8. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. You have been very helpful. :D

9. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    if that guy would have already sold 3 cars that day, he would of went home early lol

10. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    BuckNakedBooda

BuckNakedBooda There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Member:
    Woodbridge, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4
    Toyota every now and then will have great financing deals going on especially on year end deals. If you can get these 0% thru 2.9% deals then go for it. If not, I have all of my vehicles financed thru my Credit Union....

11. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Im guessing he meant the whole place. But who knows. He seemed to be lying about a lot of stuff.

12. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    The only way I would ever lease a vehicle is if it was business related and it was a tax write off. Go to a bank get approved then take that offer to the dealer and see if they will beat the interest rate the bank gave you. That's what I did and Toyota Credit beat what my credit union came up with so I went with them.

13. Oct 27, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    They have 2.9 right now on certified used. But I don't ever remember seeing 0% on tacomas.

14. Oct 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    blackwidow2009

blackwidow2009 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cleveland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab 4X4 TRD w/ SR5
    2.5" front lift Daystar coilover spacer. 2.5" rear lift add-a-leaf N-Fab wheel to wheel nerf/step bar Polished Stainless Leer cap from my 2000 Tacoma --- It does fit; don't let them lie to you

no, financeing threw Toyota is not " BAD "; but the dealership may still do the BACK DOOR FIANCING. You need to first get a loan approvle from a bank. That does not mean you actually took the money, it's just a pre-approvale. then compaire that interest rate ( the APY, that the only figure you want to know! ) to what you would get at the dealership. Obviosly go with the lowest amount.

Also to help you negotiate a price.....I bought a 2009, 4X4, TRD, access cab, V6, that came with a bed mat and daytime running lights (both were extra charges)....sticker was about 31,000 then with the factory discount that was on the sticker it was about 30,100 (give or take 50 or 60 bucks). I got them down to 27,400. It was 600 BELOW invoice. Trust me, the dealership still made somewere between 1500 and 200 because of other moneys that the manufacture either pays to the dealership or "discounts" off oth the invoice price. It's complicated to explain unless you know something about accounting and accounting practices, but they make more money per vehicle then they want you to know.

start off telling them you want their best price (you already know EXATLY WHAT YOU WANT including packages, and what the invoice price is). And AND AND tell them you are shopping around and are not in the mood to play games..."JUST GIVEE ME YOUR BEST PRICE. If another dealership is lower they get the sale, if your the lowest, you will"

Get them to print out the quote. Again, GET THEM TO PRINT OUT THE QUOTE!!! They WONT let you leave with it. So you need to be sneeky. Say "ask you manager if you will throw [oil changes, winter floor mat, tube of touch up paint, extra wiperblads] in." When he leaves take the paper PRINTOUT (WITH LETTERHEAD) quote and run!!! Now you have proof at the next dealership what the first quoted you on and get them to beat it.

Also DO NOT, DO NOT DO NOT!!!!!!! sign a damb thing, OR give them a down payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When your ready to buy, that is the time and the only time!!!!! And this is a must.......PUT THE DOWN PAYMENT ON A CREDIT CARD!!!! This is if and only if your putting money down to secure the truck!!! But I don't recomend it, it's not necessary. If you sign the paperwork and need to return with the money because you got a loan from the bank, the dealership can not renig on it, because it is a writen contract and is enforcable.

hope that helps

15. Oct 28, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    1) I am on my THIRD new Tacoma, all three LEASED... NO PROBLEMS at all (Toyota Financial). There is also NO DIFFERENCE in what you can do with the truck as far as basic mods or changes... it is the same as if you owned it. Just remember, at the end of the lease (mine is a 5 year lease) that you turn in or trade in your truck and you want the value to be high to go to your next truck... so don't do something stupid that would lower the value.

Also, there is NO mileage penalty IF you trade it for another Toyota. My first leased truck had 136,000 miles on it at the end of the 5 years... Traded it for my '05 with $1,000 down (to have a monthly payment I could handle)... had it for 4.5 years and 102,000 miles... Traded it for my '10 with NOTHING DOWN and the lease payments went up only $20! A new truck, only $20 more a month than the truck I was driving... I don't think you can beat that.

At the end of the lease, if you want to keep your truck, then you would need to buy it... so the past 5 years of lease payments don't count, but you will be buying a used truck that is cheaper then new.

Leasing is a great tool if you want a nice vehicle but don't have the down payment to give you lower monthly payments you can afford... also if you use the truck for your business (as I do), then the lease payment is deductable.

16. Oct 28, 2010 at 9:05 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    my baby here is a lease
    [​IMG]

here is the truth leasing and buying are the same....
    the only diff is how much you want to pay a month....
    the most important part of a lease the buyout price at the end ...which you and him neg. at the lease singing
    iif i bought mine it would have been almost $500 a month
    my lease $298
    my buyout is $16,980
    thats the truth for me....
    i had to leasse for other reasons.....
    usally i buy...
    but i am lovin the lease
    ride it or sell it ...............................................

17. Oct 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    The issue with a lease is that you are perpetually making payments. When you finance a truck..you OWN IT once you are done with your payments With a lease when you are done with your payment period..YOU DONT OWN it...you still have to buy it or lease another vehicle.

If you are cool with making payments forever..then maybe you should lease. I would personally want a vehicle thats paid for..especially with a tacoma which holds its value well at the end of my financing period I will have a vehicle that is still worth some money. I refuse to purchase brand new vehicles..I like to buy 1-2 year old vehicles and let someone else take the initial depreciation hit and pay the sales taxes and fees. In GA if you buy a used vehicle private party you don't have to pay sales tax on it. If after my financing period, I want to purchase a new vehicle again I could keep my current vehicle and have two vehicles or I could sell it (I also refuse to trade vehicles in when I can sell it on my own for more money) Then take that money and put it down on the purchase of the new(er) vehicle...lets say the tacoma is worth $10k after I pay it off. If I want to buy a new tacoma, I can put that 10k down on it and I only have to finance $15-20k which could mean taking a shorter loan term or having lower payments than I had before.

18. Oct 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    typical lease is 36-40 months
    typical loan 5 60 months you do the math

19. Oct 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    Ding King

Ding King Well-Known Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4x4
    5100's all around fronts at .85,rear TSB,trans TSB,20% tint,TRD exhaust, TRD CAI,tailgate mod, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, EGR in-channel, Nitrofil.
  20. Oct 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Chad K

Chad K New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Odessa, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab TRD Off Road
    If you plan on buying it at the of the lease there is basically no difference in that and financing it. If you plan on turning it in then you are basically just renting.

Products Discussed in

To Top