1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

are these leaf springs sagging?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacod, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Oct 31, 2010 at 1:10 PM
    tacod

tacod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kemblesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    '04 Xtra V6 TRD 4x4
    please see my photos...are these springs sagging a bit, or am i okay? truck/bed is empty...truck is completely stock...80k miles...2004.

thanks in advance!

left_s.jpg
    right_s.jpg

2. Oct 31, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Completely stock...80K miles...What year??

I would say they are starting to flatten out a bit...yeah...but how old are they???

3. Oct 31, 2010 at 1:15 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue 5.3l v8 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 37/12.5/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper grill craft grill wicked flow muffler inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    i know its a 1st just not the year

4. Oct 31, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    tacod

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kemblesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    '04 Xtra V6 TRD 4x4
    sorry...2004.

5. Oct 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    do you tow or haul a lot? offroad? axle wrap a problem?

I swapped out my leaf packs this last spring because of axle wrap and I was just tired of the crappy ride. Mine were just about as bad as yours appear to be - arched down in the front and flat in the back.

6. Oct 31, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    surfgringo

surfgringo Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab Longbox Magnetic Grey
    ARB Bumper with fogs & IFP lights, ICON Coilovers & rear suspension, Procomp Wheels, BFG A/T tires, Leer Cap
    Look flat to me. I had a 2004. An add-a-leaf is a quick fix, or replace the pack with something like Deavers if you want to lift.

7. Oct 31, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    What was the difference between the stock and the new springs? I mean driving-wise?

8. Oct 31, 2010 at 3:49 PM
    tacod

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kemblesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    '04 Xtra V6 TRD 4x4
    just got the truck, so this is really just a new truck assessment. i don't expect to haul/tow excessively, but i expect to do it with some regularity. the other issue i've noticed, which i wonder is related, is that at highway speeds, i get a bit of rhythmic rumbling noise...it's driveline noise...but i don't know exactly the source. i feel it through my seat.

9. Oct 31, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    tire out of balance?

10. Oct 31, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I would say they're worn out based on my experience with my truck. Your options would be either an AAL (temporary fix) or replacing the leaf packs. There are a few other TW'ers contemplating the same thing right now as weak suspensions were common on 1st gen Tacos. Here are a few threads that you may find helpful if you haven't stumbled on them already.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/120541-wheelers-5-leaf-thumbs-up-down.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gr...heelers-offroad-1st-gen-leaf-replacement.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/83863-1st-gen-needs-suspension-upgrades-asap.html

As far as the noise goes I'm not sure. Are the tires balnaced? No strange wear patterns on them? Total shot in the dark here but have you greased the driveshaft lately? If not, start with that and see what happens. From there I would move onto the differentials. At 89k your truck is probably due for its 90k service, might want to look into that soon too.

Improved the ride a million times over! Of course the leafs aren't the only new parts under there, new shocks contribute too. Definitely happy with the route I took and the parts I got. I put a decent amount of miles on the truck this summer and the truck handled things perfectly. Offroad driving is much more comfortable, no more brain jarring crashes and riding on the bumpstops...highway driving is better too, the truck feels more stable and under control in general. No more scary body lean on curves either.

11. Oct 31, 2010 at 11:05 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    x2. We have the same setup. I felt my truck was unsafe on some roads at some speeds before I replaced the coils and leafs and shocks. Now it behaves like a vehicle should: predictably and comfortably.

12. Nov 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Howdy there Buck-a-roo. Fancy meetin you in yet another saggy leaf spring thread.

Products Discussed in

To Top