1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question on space between tire and metal.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tacomamemphis, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    Tacomamemphis

Tacomamemphis [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Tinted windows, 265/70/17 Firestone M/T, bug guard, vent visors, toolbox, leveling kit
    I just got my first Tacoma and have had a few things done to it. I just got it leveled and purchased new 265/70/17 Firestone M/T's. Sorry that I don't know the brand of the level that I bought but I had it installed for $300. I then noticed that the metal piece that is inside and level with the top of the tire is only about 3/8 of an inch away from the tire. As the tire moves so does this part and only touches the tire a tiny bit in the most extreme turning of the tire. Is this normal?
    Also, the truck is now higher in the front than the back even though the shop (who came highly recomended by the dealership) claimed that this kit would do nothing more than level the truck. It is off by a noticable amount. Thoughts.
    Other than these issues the Tacoma rocks and I just want to get it right.

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    Is the "metal" the spindle or the uca?

To raise the rear you can put an add a leaf in the rear leaf pack.

3. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Tacomamemphis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Tinted windows, 265/70/17 Firestone M/T, bug guard, vent visors, toolbox, leveling kit
    Not sure as I am a confirmed rookie. It is shaped like a u kinda and connects back under the truck.:confused:

4. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    the UCA im pretty sure

5. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    This isn't stock but does it look like this one?

[​IMG]

I think you are talking about the uca. In that case you shouldn't rub with 265's but it's easily fixed with 1/4" spacers that go behind the rim. I haven't researched them but you may need to also buy longer studs so you have enough thread to be safe.

6. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    Tacomamemphis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Yes it is the black part there. Does that move as your tire moves and does mud/debris that is attached to the tire as it rolls a problem being so close? Thanks so much for your help. The tire shop said that they did not see it being a problem as long as I did not drive crazy like rock climbing ect.. which I am not but will be in mud from time to time.

7. Nov 3, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    The mud should just be rubbed right off by the uca.

8. Nov 4, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    Tacomamemphis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks for all the help. Last couple of questions. Does the tire move up and down at the same rate as this piece (UCA). If so then I think that I will be fine. Has anyone else put this tire or similar on a stock rim that has had the truck leveled? Any problems?

9. Nov 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    Could always buy a deeper offset rim $$$$$$ :)

10. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    Tacomamemphis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Not looking to spend more if not needed.

11. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I hear ya. Go with the spacers then.

12. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    Tacomamemphis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Do people think it is necesary? I have driven it at all kinds of speeds and pretty tight turns. Does not seem to be rubbing. Is not rubbing fine even though it is close? Again does any one know if the UCA moves always at the same rate as the tire so that it is always away from the tire the same amount? Thanks.

13. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yes. The UCA moves with the tire. It will not get closer or further from the tire than it is.

14. Nov 4, 2010 at 7:58 PM
    Tacomamemphis

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thanks Chris. That is what I really wanted to know. I think then I will be fine.

Products Discussed in

To Top