1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Storm Chasers' Matt Hughes Dies at 30

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by surfsupl, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    [​IMG]Matt Hughes

Matt Hughes, a longtime meteorologist who starred on Discovery's Storm Chasers, has died. He was 30.

Hughes died May 26 in Wichita, Kan., but his death wasn't made public until Wednesday's episode of Storm Chasers, which was dedicated in his memory.

His death was unrelated to his often dangerous job. In a June 7 blog post titled "R.I.P. Matt" on Wichita's ABC affiliate KAKE-TV's website, Aaron Blaser, a former colleague and friend of Hughes, wrote that Hughes had tried to commit suicide.

See other stars who died this year

"[Hughes] was taken to the hospital after trying to take his life," Blaser wrote. "Matt was in the hospital for several days in intensive care, there was a 24 hour vigil outside the waiting room, family, other chasers, business associates, etc. I spent quite a bit of time bouncing from work to the hospital and back again...hoping for the best, comforting others, but several days later, after serious complications arose, I knew we were going to lose him. ... What a lot of us didn't know was that he suffered from depression."

Blaser did not reveal the cause of death, but wrote that "there was never any illegal activity," attributing Hughes' suicide attempt to "an accumulation of issues at home" that were mounting. He said more than 500 people attended the funeral.

Watch clips from Storm Chasers

Wednesday's episode — titled "Dedication" — detailed Hughes' final chase.

"Matt's been asking for more control all year long," team leader Sean Casey said at the beginning of the episode. Hughes then led the team on what Discovery calls the "best tornado intercept ever."

Hughes is survived by his wife, Kendra, and two sons, Hunter and Collin.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Matt-Hughes-Dies-1025080.aspx?rss=breakingnews

2. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Wow...It must be something pretty heavy that makes you take your own life when you have a TV show, two kids, and a pretty solid group of people who care for you like it sounds this guy had...

Sad.

3. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    That's very sad.

I know a bunch of people in the storm chasing and meteorology fields in Oklahoma, and they all have high remarks of Matt.

4. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah

I agree...............I had a good friend who did well had a small close nit family a wife and a couple kids and seemed to have a good thing going and out of the blue he killed himself. Dude was always laughing and goofing around,but was also serious when he had to be. He hid his depression very well.

5. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I would watch Matt on S.C. and say to myself that he seemed to be very smart in what he knew and if more people would listen to him maybe that I Max movie would be done.......sad all around.

6. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I watched that episode last night. I have had a suicide in my family so I know what his family must be going through. Some people just get so depressed no matter how much you try to help, they feel like their only way out is suicide.

That segment of them inside that tornado in the TIV was pretty sweet. That job would be really fun.

7. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    Mental issues have to play a major role for someone to want to take their own life, because no matter how bad things get, you have to realize they WILL get better.

Very sad for his wife and kids. Not to sound cold concerning someone's death, but suicide is very selfish when you think about it. Someone living for other people, and not themselves would never consider it.

8. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    My next door neighbor took his life back in April of this year. I would say that he was thinking about his family. He was old (85) and he felt like he was a burden on his family, plus his wife died of cancer about a year ago so he lost his life long companion. He actually shot himself in the backyard so that his family wouldn't have to deal with the mess inside the house. He left a note and called his son right before he did it.

9. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I was mainly thinking of someone younger, but still...anyone thinking they are doing their family a favor by taking their own lives...again, has mental issues because it is never easy for a family to deal with that...no matter the age.

10. Nov 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    wow thats crazy i just wated that shit the other day.....
    i never felt like killing myself....other people yes myself no......

11. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    That sucks. I hope his family gets through ok. I can't imagine leaving my son like that.

12. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    i must say they kept that secret a long time wow
    with the internet and all.....

13. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Sad, sad. found himself in a dark place and couldn't get out.

RIP Matt.

14. Nov 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Thats what I thought as well...............

15. Nov 4, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Matt Hughes Tribute

[​IMG]
    Matt Hughes, a featured meteorologist on Storm Chasers passed away on May 26th, 2010 in Wichita, Kansas due to an injury unrelated to his chasing activities. Sean, Reed, Tim and everyone involved in Storm Chasers mourn the loss of their friend and colleague. Next Wednesday at 10pm, a special Storm Chasers episode called "Dedication" will feature Matt's incredible last chase, and is dedicated to his memory.

REMEMBERING MATT PHOTOS

Our thoughts and prayers are with Matt's family, and we ask fans to kindly respect their privacy. A special memorial fund has been established to benefit Matt's two young sons. Donations can be made to: Matthew John Hughes Memorial Fund
    c/o Intrust Bank
    142 North Ash
    Valley Center, Kansas 67147

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/storm-chasers/tribute.html

16. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    brutalguyracing

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    you guys know how he did it???
    he hung himself

17. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    thats fucked up

18. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    Just watched that last night. when they were in that tornado, Matt looked so damn happy and excited. Who would of guess he was suicidal. The way they worded it on discovery, i thought he had an accident at home or something.

19. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    sad to hear, though i find suicide to be one of the most selfish things a person can do.

20. Nov 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Losing a friend due to suicide hits you the most. I recently had a friend that committed suicide because his girlfriend that he just had a kid with cheated on him through out the relationship and she dumped him on his birthday pretty fucked up huh? He suffered with depression throughout his life, but he never really showed it, he had problems with drugs in the past etc. I remember it was like yesterday, i was driving home from my friends and it was like 4 o'clock in the morning and i saw him hanging from a tree in his front yard, something i will never forget the rest of my life.... Best of wishes to that guys fam they gonna need it through the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top