1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bought Mossberg 535 now need little advice

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by BlueT, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Nov 6, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    BlueT

BlueT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    After all crap that happen this year I was lookign for a gun and today I bought one (need to wait two weeks to pick it up)
    So i got Mossberg 535
    [​IMG]
    its primary duty its going to be home defense either against drug addicts that do stir up crap in my place or predators
    But what accessories I can get on it. My state allows only 3 rounds in the gun so I need to have more readily available, plus I had seen people putting some kind of grip strap on the front.
    Also is there a way to put laser pointer on top ? I thinking it would be easier at night to point that thing.
    What else needs to go on it?
    Thanks in advance.
    BTW I am complete noob when it comes to guns never believed I would need one :rolleyes: I guess times are changing.

2. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    My two cents - Try to get a light rather than a laser on a shotgun, seems more practical. Secondly move to florida, it seems you can have a centry guns on your front lawn and no one cares. Only 3 rounds in your gun? Who would know i there was more? Also 2 week waiting period? Wow. Nice purchase by the way, how much did it run ya? Congrats.

3. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    Tacomamoose

Tacomamoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    06 trd sport doublecab debadged
    debadged Tinted windows
    If you need a light to see where your pointing that thing you should probably go do some practice at the range first.. if you just point at the person and let her rip your goin to hit em

4. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    korny351

korny351 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Stockton, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB SR5 4X4
    Instead of a laser, I'd suggest a tactical light. Makes for clear identification of your target. Some of them have a strobe setting, giving you a clear picture of your target while disorienting the intruder. You'll also need a rail mounting system to make it all work.

5. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...

TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN!!!!! Especially since you're a newb. Take a class if you have to. Personally I have a lot of time with handguns and rifles but none with shotguns and would feel out of my element shooting one. If you want it for personal protection you need to practice safety, target identification (would suck to shoot a friend/family member because you were scared), target acquisition, aim, trigger pull, reloading, ensuring weapon is safe/unloaded (many people get shot with an unloaded weapon!!!!), etc. Another one that people forget is "house clearing" techniques - would suck if you have your flashlight constantly on and walking around not knowing the correct way to go around corners, etc.

Need to brush up on your local laws. When are you legally allowed to defend your home? Do you need to warn them or can you just blast away when you see them? Can you shoot through an outside door or do they have to be in the home? I would also suggest checking local court cases. Are juries more inclined to prosecute if your weapon looks "dangerous" (i.e. assault rifle versus a hunting rifle)? If so it might behoove (sp?) you to keep your weapon as it looks now versus adding lights, lasers, night vision, IR, extended magazines, super light triggers, etc.

Theres a ton of things you need to do before you start looking at what kind of tacticool furniture you want to add to your weapon. The most expensive, high-speed, low-drag weapon aint worth shit if you don't practice with it, maintain it, keep it accessible yet secure (I use a gun vault), and don't know how to use it. You just took on a TON of responsibility - especially since it's for home defense. Can you really look at another human being and pull the trigger (Tacoma [WA.] mall shooter. Person w/ CCP and carrying couldn't shoot the bad guy and ended up being one of the worst injured through the whole incident).

Otherwise, good luck and congrats on the new purchase.

6. Nov 7, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    BlueT

BlueT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Awesome website thanks, They have 18 1/2 barrel for Mossberg 500 any idea if it is interchangeable with 535?
    Yea training is the key I know, good part where I live they are not nazis yet about guns so once i get it I will going to the range to try it out. Plus planning to get hunting license training and get safety class with it.
    Local laws are strict and say there needs to be warning when outside unless physically threatened..

Products Discussed in

To Top