1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec lift, and extremely harsh ride?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by drewskie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Nov 5, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    From running the 884's I would recommend to stay with the 884's if you have a 4 cylinder. I ran 884's with the top plate spacer and my lift came out to be ~3.25" even after settling the springs. I think 885 might be a little to much, stiffness and lift height wise. Just my opinion though :) And the general rule of thumb is anything over 2.5" will "a majority" of the time need new UCA's to align the suspension back within spec, there has been people who do not need it most people do!

Evil Monkey please take note he is a 4 cylinder and all the 885's you posted were for V6 double cabs :)

2. Nov 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Noted. Thanks for the schooling. :D As I said, I don't know the specifics, only that people have done it.

3. Nov 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I did not school anyone man I was just making an observation which others might have over looked :)

4. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    drewskie

drewskie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Ok, so if I decide to go with the 5100's, keep the 884's, and rear add-a-leaf, would I be better off taking out the top plate spacer and just use the shock to raise the front a bit? I like the height i have now, just hate the ride quality. Thanks.

5. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    I think the majority of your harsh ride is from the stock shocks over extending and not dampening well. Swap out the shocks and retain the top plate spacers. After driving around some if you still do not like it maybe take off the top plate spacer and give that a go. Overall I think the billys will give you a much improved ride over stock...since you have OME coils have you thought about buying their shocks instead of the Billys?

6. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    drewskie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Yes, I did, and they are about 150 dollars more, and with the billies, I can always go back to the stock coils and just use the shock to get a few inches.....right? ( I think). thanks for all the help man.

7. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    ya if anything you can just use the billys to give you 2.5" of lift.

I havent looked at the price of the OME shocks in a while, did not know there were 150 bucks more.

8. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    Thomas Lee

Thomas Lee Shogun

Member:
    Vehicle:
    work truck
    3" lift
    I had my toy for 3 years before I put the lift on it and after I put it on it there was verry little difference.

9. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    brandonlamb25

brandonlamb25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Crewcab Prerunner V6
    K&N Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Ipod to Factory radio hookup kit, Black Low Pro Toolbox, Toytec Coilovers and 285/75r16 BFG MT's
    Ok so let me see if I understand correctly. I have an 08 DC V-6 with toytec coilovers on it. It rides harsh. It's been on for two years now. As I got it a adjusted it a lil more over time and noticed an increase in ride firmness. I wasn't aware of the 5100's needing to be adjusted. So if I remove my coils and adjust shocks to uppermost level then decrease the lift amount applied by springs I should have the same lift heigt but less tension on the spring therefore yielding a softer ride. Correct?? Any easy way to adjust shocks without have to remove entire coilover?? Can I just put a compressor on springs and get to it that way or will that damage something?? Thanks for the help guys.

10. Nov 8, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The shock should be on the lowest setting (0 is closest to the Bilstein label on the shock) not the highest (2.5). The only way to adjust the shock's clip is to remove them from the coil. The adjustable collar (that you use to adjust the coil height) rests on the clip so there is no way to adjust the shock's clip with the coil on. You'd need a spring compressor to take the coil off first. Be careful with a spring compressor. Those things can be dangerous. You might just take the whole coilover out and take it to a shop that has one and let them do it for you.

Here's a shot of my Toytec Coilovers. I don't have a measuring tape with me so I'm just using my fingers. The distance of #1 (the thread under) is about 2 fingers (~1"). The distance of #2 (from the bottom of adjust collar to the bottom of the shock's main body before it curves) is about 3 fingers.

suspension1.jpg

I believe that Toytec changed the assembly and how it sits on the clip after I received mine (I bought mine when they first came out).

If you received the entire assembly from Toytec (ultimate kit), it's likely that your setup is already correct.

How high is your setup? Mine measures 22.75 from the middle of the hub to the fenderwell (I measure from the hub because it takes tiresize out of the equation).

11. Nov 8, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    bridgcat

bridgcat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 4x4 SR5 TRD Offroad
    Avid Off-road Light bar w/ Line-X, American Aluminum Black LP Toolbox, N Fab black step bars,In-Channel Vent Visors, two 10" Rockford subs, Pioneer Double Din DVD player w/ Metra dash kit, 285/65R18 Nitto Trail Grappler MT/s. 18x9" Black XD Monsters. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. Color matched grille with FJ Tacoma badge. De-badged with black, "4x4" badge on tail gate. Mud flap delete mod. Custon TRD decal, color matched rear bumper, Icon extended travel reservoir coilovers, Icon rear reservoir shocks, Dakar rear leaf pack, extended stainless steel brake lines, Camburg uniball upper control arms, timeren bump stops,Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, Rockford Fosgate Door speakers, Dynomat doors and rear panel, All pro front bumper.
    I'm diggin' your measuring methods! 1 finger 2 fingers 3 fingers! lol...Good info though!

12. Nov 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
  13. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    brandonlamb25

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Crewcab Prerunner V6
    K&N Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Ipod to Factory radio hookup kit, Black Low Pro Toolbox, Toytec Coilovers and 285/75r16 BFG MT's
    thanks evil monkey, hang tight. about to post some pics of my setup. need your thoughts please sir.

14. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    brandonlamb25

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Crewcab Prerunner V6
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my current setup. harsh ride. comments?? looks like springs are overtighten huh?? Thats how i got my lift. so you think i should adjust my shock clips now??

15. Nov 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    How much lift do you have? That looks pretty high up the collar. If you have a tape measure, measure from the middle of your hub to the fenderwell (straight up).

16. Nov 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    drewskie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Last question(maybe) about the 5100's, are the rear shocks made to be used with a lift, specifically AAL? I mean, the rears don't overextend, correct?

17. Nov 8, 2010 at 11:47 PM
    brandonlamb25

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Crewcab Prerunner V6
    Ok. So from the center of the wheel (hub) to the bottom of the fender flare measures at 24 5/8". From ground to fender flare measures in at 39 3/4" with 285/75r16 BFG MT's. Your thoughts??

18. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    I think your coils are way too high. You need to drop them down quite a bit. Based on your measurements, you're about 1 3/4" higher than mine are set. I would drop them down to 23" max. Mine are set at 22.75". I think your clips are fine.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/59473-post-your-lifted-height-measurements.html

The instructions for the Toytec Coilover state that the bottom of the coilover adjustment should only have about 1" of thread showing for a 3" lift. You've got to be sitting about 4" or more. That's probably why you're riding rough.

19. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Correct. The 5100s extend further than that stock shocks.

20. Nov 10, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    drewskie

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I'm ordering the Billies, and going to have my tire shop put them on. What seeting should I keep the fronts at to be level with the 884''s and top plate spacer?? Gratz.

Products Discussed in

To Top