1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SWB paint matching

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tammikm, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nov 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    tammikm

tammikm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5 AUTO
    n/a
    has anyone here SUCCESSFULLY matched the speedway blue paint on their truck? had 2 body shops here that cant seem to match it even close, its always darker and looks terrible in the shade or overcast days, but in direct sunlight it looks ok, strange, its a aftermarket scooped hood that I am trying to match, just wondered if anyone had the type of paint used and color mixing numbers that I could try..

thanks

2. Nov 11, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    lilgerber

lilgerber Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 off road Speedway blue
    Front: Total Chaos 3.5 4x4 LT kit, Engage off-road one piece hood, Caged front end, TC gussets. Rear: Fiberworks fenders, King 14" 3.0 triple bypasses, boxed/braced frame, extended brake lines, 63" chevy leaf springs, U bolt flip kit, TC lower shock mounts. Preformance: URD intake, Doug Thorley headers, Flowmaster 40, 2.5 tubing. Interior: Weather techs, LED's, Double DIn, kicker 10" subs, Kicker componet speakers, Exterior: Method wheels with OMF beadlocks, Custom made bumpers, Retro headlights.
    I had my glass-works front fenders painted and they look very very close, you can only tell at night that they are a shade darker, I thought that was from my original paint sitting in sun so much .

Just got my rear glass need to paint that soon.

3. Nov 11, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Those body shops suck.

Metal flake is a bit of a bitch to get perfect, but that's why they get paid to do it.

Talk to the dealer, ask what shop they use/refer. Your insurance company, should it be other than something like the "general" will also have certified shops.

The shop I go to matched my orange GTO and my "torch peny" scion perfectly. I am not a huge metallic fan, so when I paint my own cars they go on without, but I get paint to match perfectly just by bringing my paint guy the gas door, or even just the paint code (if not old and faded.)

4. Nov 11, 2010 at 1:55 PM
    DiamondDG

DiamondDG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Cal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    3" Ready lift SST lift, Magna Flow cat back exhaust, Volant cold air intake, Grillcraft MX grill, N-Fab Prerunner light bar w/ 4 Hella 7 series lights
  5. Nov 11, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    DiamondDG

Member:
    Central Cal
    Vehicle:
    3" Ready lift SST lift, Magna Flow cat back exhaust, Volant cold air intake, Grillcraft MX grill, N-Fab Prerunner light bar w/ 4 Hella 7 series lights
    I see your in Fresno. Have not seen your truck around town. Looks nice!

6. Nov 11, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    lilgerber

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Front: Total Chaos 3.5 4x4 LT kit, Engage off-road one piece hood, Caged front end, TC gussets. Rear: Fiberworks fenders, King 14" 3.0 triple bypasses, boxed/braced frame, extended brake lines, 63" chevy leaf springs, U bolt flip kit, TC lower shock mounts. Preformance: URD intake, Doug Thorley headers, Flowmaster 40, 2.5 tubing. Interior: Weather techs, LED's, Double DIn, kicker 10" subs, Kicker componet speakers, Exterior: Method wheels with OMF beadlocks, Custom made bumpers, Retro headlights.
    looking at it right now it looks color matched perfect, It's gona cost ya big $$ to get a legit paint job.
    At night you can see the shadows from the glass sticking out and color appears a shade darker. Doesn't bother me though.

Ya I am, I think I saw you once on willow getting gas at chevron , out by willow International college. I think they are trying to get a Cen cal meet together on here.

7. Nov 11, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    lilgerber

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Here are some pictures of the color match in the day light.

iphone pics 112.jpg
    iphone pics 111.jpg
    iphone pics 113.jpg

8. Nov 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    DiamondDG

Member:
    Central Cal
    Vehicle:
    Nice rig!

9. Nov 11, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    tammikm

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5 AUTO
    n/a
    any pics at night where it looks darker? on mine even an overcast day you can tell that its a few shades too dark where the pillers meet the fenders, cause they blended my fenders when they did the hood...., the pillers look so bright and the hood so dark except in direct sunlight, then its near perfect.....

10. Nov 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    teamplayer

teamplayer Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mario
    florida
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd sport
    rims,painted parts,train horn for all those pleople texting with their phones,hid,painted engine cover,k&n air filter,leds floor lights.
    i work as a painter in a dealer ,the problem is where you are taking your tacoma,remember your truck , is painted as a two layer paint base coat clear coat , if you are taking your truck to a regular shop the paint is never going to match,because they use a single layer paint , they have to use a certified paint like i work ppg or sikkens , where you put the paint code and it tells you the same code as the original code in the computer and then you mix it,i have the same color code as you do speed way blue, and i never had a problem,for example if you paint a hood you have to blend the fenders, to match the color. spend a few bucks in a certified body shop and you see the results""""

11. Nov 11, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    At least other people are having trouble matching too... I still can't get anything to match, eyelids, flares, etc

12. Nov 13, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    tammikm

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4 SR5 AUTO
    n/a
    what are you saying here? that they do have to blend the fenders or you should'nt have to blend the fenders?

Products Discussed in

To Top