1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A lot of questions about my truck

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by MacGyvR, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Nov 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    MacGyvR

MacGyvR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    OME 2.5", 881, Dakar, Nitrochargers
    Ambiguous title I know, but there really are a lot of questions.

First off, How do I get the front door panels off my truck? I'm trying to get to the speakers, but the DIY mod on this site doesn't explain how to deal with manual windows. It wasn't intuitively obvious how to do it, and I didn't want to break anything.

Second, how do I tell if I have a locking differential? My truck is only 2 wheel drive, but I want to learn about how it will handle in snow and mud.

Where can I buy tire chains in Arizona? I'm planning a small trip into the mountains this winter, and I want to have some chains because that seems like the sensible thing to do.

Lastly, any advice on driving a 2x4 in the snow? Obviously I can't go flying around corners or push through anything substantially deep, but I should be fine on main roads, right?

2. Nov 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Door panel removal
    You should have a "REAR DIFF LOCK" button on the left dash. No button = no e-locker.

DiffLock_2ecf03c2d335a78cd717f74ce6f5963185efbd75.jpg

3. Nov 12, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    4x2's handle fine in the snow. Drive with a light foot and like you don't have any brakes. Weight in the bed directly over or in front of the rear axle helps out and good tires are a must! I put the weights all the way at the front of the bed so they don't crash into the front when you hit the brakes. Don't put the weight behind the axle or you unweight your front end. It's more important to steer than accelerate. You're on your own with the chains, I'm on the east coast but you could try online stores also.

4. Nov 12, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Ninja

Ninja The Lone Wolf of TW!

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '04 Prerunner SR5 Reg. Cab
    Cabela's in Glendale carries snow chains that fits stock Tacoma tires...will run about $70.

5. Nov 12, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    c005jjc

c005jjc Statistics are boring…until you become one!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    01 Prerunner DoubleCab SR5
    Axle wrap mod, Fumoto oil drain valve, Tinted windows
    On the rare occasion that we get snow, I always fill my bed up with snow! That stuff is pretty heavy and gives you really good traction and the best part is when you get back to a milder climate or it warms up…your weight in the bed melts and you don’t have to unload it! The trick is "Don't work harder...work smarter!" :)

6. Nov 13, 2010 at 5:39 AM
    MacGyvR

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    Ok, so I don't have that button. I don't suppose there is a chance that it automatically turns on and off, is there?

Should I be worried about taking my truck into the snow now? Correct me if I"m wrong, but this means that my rear wheels are locked at all times now?

I also like the idea of filling the bed with snow. I'm going to take a few sandbags, but I"ll think about shoveling some snow in there as well.

7. Nov 13, 2010 at 5:42 AM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    no chance

8. Nov 13, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Google tire chains/cables there are a ton of suppliers out there.Sand bags slide all over and when the roads clear up the snow in the bed is still there ( gas mileage) just take it easy.

9. Nov 13, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

The Off Road TRD has the locker... The locker is attached to the differential, with wire and tube coming from it... top/ front of differential. But, as others asy... you will have that button 98tacoma27 posted a photo of. If the previous owner did any changes... then you could have a limited slip differential... if so, then there should be a lable on the differential warning you to use the special limited slip diff. fluid only.

So, without a traction enhancing differential, you still can drop tire air pressure to improve the truck's off roading... and have a pump to replace the air when you get back to pavement!

10. Nov 13, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    If your 2003 PreRunner has the TRD Off Road Package and no locker, then it's a 4-cylinder (right?). The factory e-locker was not available on pre-2005 4-cylinder automatics (even with the TRD Package).

If it's a V6 XtraCab or Double Cab, it might be that someone simply stuck a TRD decal on it (which happens ...). A factory TRD XC or DC V6 would have the e-locker.

11. Nov 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Thanks for that... I wouldn't dream of having anything under a V-6 in a truck this size... So, I didn't think that he may have a 4 banger!

12. Nov 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    tacod

tacod Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kemblesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    '04 Xtra V6 TRD 4x4
    no, it means they're not locked.

13. Nov 13, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    MacGyvR

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    Actually, I have the 3.4L V6. The TRD package means it's lifted more than the regular tacomas, right? I have a bunch of pictures up if you want to take a look.

14. Nov 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Well... really a TRD Off Road package means you have Bilstein shocks, 16" Rugged Trail TA tires (when new), and a locking rear differential... along with the SR-5 package... among a couple other things.

If you don't have a locking rear differential, then a previous owner put a sticker on your truck that doesn't belong.

A standard 'open' differential will divide the power to BOTH back tires until one tire has less traction (grip) than the other... then torque (turning force) will go to the loose (low traction) tire. So, in mud or snow... if one tire is on firm ground but another is in slush or mud... that useless tire will spin away and the good tire will do nothing.

The base reason for open differentials is to allow steering the vehicle.. since each tire must rotate at different speed when turning. Any locking differential makes steering harder, and is only recommended for emergency use.

To get unstuck with traction assist (2WD truck):

Having a limited slip differential ('05-'08 Sport Tacomas) will put some of the torque on the good, traction tire.

Having a locking differential (all Off Road Tacomas) puts equal torque on both tires. Because both tires are locked together with gears, steering will be difficult and unless off the road will bind.

Having traction control ('09 + Tacomas) brakes the spinning, non-traction, loose tire and forces torque to the good traction tire. Steering is not affected.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the same scenario, a 4WD truck will put torque to at least one front and one back tire, which doubles your traction and chances of getting out. 4WD is to be used only off of dry pavement where front and rear tires can slip a bit when steering.

A rear locker and 4WD (Off Road 4WD Tacomas) will put torque to at least 3 tires. Steering can be a bit more difficult with the rear locked over open 4WD use.

A-TRAC ('09 + Off Road 4WD Tacomas) puts equal torque to all 4 tires by braking any tire that has less traction than another on the same axle. Steering is not hampered.

A non-Toyota, after-market front locker will put equal torque to all 4 tires. Steering can be very difficult.

15. Nov 13, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    MacGyvR

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)

Hmmm. Well that sucks.

Is it possible to swap in a locking or limited slip diff into what I have? From what you said, it looks like the limited slip diff would be better than the locking. Where would I even buy that?

16. Nov 13, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Hi Tom... That is a major deal, changing differentials... and better to wait until your next Tacoma... and get a 4WD one if you plan on off roading a lot.

Many will give you opinions here... If you get stuck, just let air out of your tires to about 10-15 psi... and that will get you out of most situations.

17. Nov 15, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    MacGyvR

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Dallas, Texas
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner (5VZ-FE)
    I know it's a big deal, I'd have my mechanic throw it together. I'm just wondering on the total cost. like, ball park.

Products Discussed in

To Top