1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

has anybody had their tacoma professionally detailed?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by NWtacoma, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Nov 12, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    Im thinking about having mine done here pretty soon. its kinda pricey just wondering if its worth it.

2. Nov 12, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    My grandpa had mine done right before I bought it (he is a used car salesman) and it was really really clean lol. I wish I had taken pics because it will never be that clean again.

I personally don't think its worth it though, just clean it yourself.

3. Nov 12, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    It was about One Hundred Dollars to shampoo the carpet and seats. The rest of the interior done as well. It's worth the Money.

4. Nov 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I'm not here to say those guys don't earn their money.

But you're here on the Tacoma World enthusiasts site! We're here to look after our trucks. So, naturally, I'm going to tell you to take a weekend and do-it-yourself.

Get some tips ahead of time by reading up on detailing, claybar, polishing, waxing, etc... as well as interior detailing techniques. But there's a whole subfolder dedicated to nothing but detailing.

Some Tacothusiasts *install their own suspension systems!* Can't you at least *clean your own truck really really well?* :D

5. Nov 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    I had mine professionally detailed a few months after I bought it just to give it a good baseline for me to work off of. Just kept it washed and waxed from there on. It was definitely worth the money though.

6. Nov 12, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    NWtacoma

NWtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kent,WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    265/70/17 bfg AT
    lol i dont want to spend all that time doing it myself. I DO want it to look like it just rolled off the showroom floor though!

this is the place im thinking about taking it to, voted the best in washington state.

http://www.northwestautosalon.com/

prices are nuts

7. Nov 12, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Yeah one thing I wasn't happy with was the fact that they sprayed clear coat all over my radiator hoses and other engine parts as well as all over my frame rails in the rear wheel wells.

8. Nov 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    I will have mine done in either winter or summer break. Its worth it to me because I do not know how to buff (to take out scratches) and I don't want to mess it up.

9. Nov 12, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    TiMe

TiMe Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Dbl Cab 4x4
    6" Fabtech with coilovers 33" nitto mud grapplers
    Ive thought about getting mine done just so the seats will be clean again since we all know they attract dirt like a magnet. BUT I use my truck for dirty things like camping, wheeling, shooting, goin to the mud bog, the beach etc. I just live with the dirty seats and save my money LOL

10. Nov 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM

09638 SCRAPER

Member:
    oahu,hawaii
    Vehicle:
    11 trd sport sr5 prerunner
    2% tint, 20% entire windshield tint, led bulbs, hids, debadged, grey plate covers, shaved antenna, alpine in dash, rockford t2 and amps, rockford highs and mids, 35x12.50x20 toyo mt's, 20x12 fuel octane's deep, 1.5 inch wheel spacers, camburg UCA's, 6" lift w/4" blocks & AAL, 3" body lift, open hood scoop, BHLM, painted emblem, K&N filters, weather tech mats. Next Mod: resevoir rear shocks, Vinyl camo wrap when I'm bored of the grey...
    i get it done once every two months. I dont want to spend hours of my day clay-baring and waxing my truck 3 times along with steam cleaning my interior and removing all waterspots off windows and mirrors. to me its worth the 100 bucks every other month. in between I just wash it and vacuum every week. sometimes I pressure wash the engine bay and frame. my truck looks brand new. I tell my detailer not to use the tire shine crap or the armor-all interior like crap cuz it just makes dust and dirt stick to it and will look like crap within a couple days.

11. Nov 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    wmb67

wmb67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    09 Dbl Cab Off Road MGM
    NW,

If you like a clean truck and don't want to do it youself, then it is definitely worth it.
    Those prices seem kinda high, but they might be in the ballpark for your area.

Take a look/search over at www.autopia.org. Its a detailing website/forum for detailing professionals and enthusiasts with tons of great info and helpful members.
    Read, ask questions, ask for a recomendations/references with before and after photos.
    The folks over there are OCD, anal, and extremely "detail" oriented. Similar to the folks here. ;)

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a person to tune up your ride to a very high standard and for less $$.

I detail as a sort of hobby, sometimes on the side for cash and I'd probably charge ~$300-400, possibly a bit more depending on the condition of your truck. That would include wash, clay, light compound, polish, wax, windows and interior cleaning. It would take 2 full days.

My previous truck (2000 access cab) was BSP and it looked great after a thorough polish.
    This is my current truck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Nov 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    x2.

i prefer doing mine myself also. its time consuming, but very well worth it.

13. Nov 12, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    im gettin mine done in the am for $100

14. Nov 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    NW - if you check out that place in Ballard/Magnolia let me know how it goes. I have everything to do it myself, including a PC buffer and all the polishes/waxes etc, but I'm in an apt. in Ballard now and don't want to be detailing out in the street.

15. Nov 20, 2010 at 12:20 AM
    rjreynolds

rjreynolds Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2wd 2.7l
    That shop seems like they do great work, however, I am not rich. I can't see spending all that money on my truck on something that is not permanent. It just doesn't add up for me. I would rather learn about detailing, and do it myself on a Sunday. It probably won't be as good as they can do it, but satisfactory.

16. Nov 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    yes almost every month. except im a professional detailer :p

17. Nov 20, 2010 at 12:50 AM
    jackrules

jackrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    every weekend I wash and wax mine.. it's really not that hard to do

Wash out engine bay with high pressure hose
    Wheel Wash
    Body Wash is simple... everyone can do that
    ( Right here would be 45min total)
    Get small dish sponge and use detailer to detail off every small part i missed
    ( To here would be an hour and ten min total)
    Wax - I use a power buffer and usually just hit the open areas of the panels
    Everyone knows the term "wax on wax off"... it's simple as that
    Do it twice if you are really having fun!
    Then get a vaccume and vacume up the inside!
    Small dish of water and a paper towel and clean off interior

All that takes about 2 hours max if you work dilligantly
    -----I do this every weekend! and I love doing it! It was also part of the deal on my parents getting me the truck

Products Discussed in

To Top