1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Bearing Replacement (While I'm Here)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by no_werries, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Nov 23, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    no_werries

no_werries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners
    Hey all been a while since I have been active but I'm replacing wheel bearing both sides (did pass side last week), and had to replace passenger side cv shaft cause a torn inner boot went unchecked and caused some havoc! It's late and I won't be finishing the driver side wheel bearing today, tomorrow over to buddies with bearing to get old pressed out and new pressed in (along with seal obviously).
    So I have the drivers side torn apart wheel bearing off, and spindle off (couldn't tell if spindle seal was ok still) anyways I'm looking at the the outer cv joint (birth field) and there is a noticeable amount of corrosion, as you can see in pics. Is this outer corrosion a problem (do I need to take apart birth field?) Any advice would be nice. Want to make sure I'm not ripping this all back apart before I know it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You Can see in the picture where the black part of the birth field is peeling back and the corrodedness(not a word) underneath.
    [​IMG]
    Going on it's 3rd Canadian Winter, looks like the first two have taken their tolls eh, Will be needing new break calipers soon down the road!
    [​IMG]
    The road salts suck look at the passenger side where you can just see the wheel bearing. I put it on last week all nice and new looking drove north to a job where they already had salters out on the roads, today it already has a thin layer of rust on it. Damn Liquid Salt sticks to everything!

2. Nov 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
  3. Nov 23, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    no_werries

no_werries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners
    Yeh actually surprisngly the spindle seal was still decent just had some grime in around it. Cleaned it all up and it looks good, hell even the o ring was in decent shape, everything was actually nice and clean, The truck is at 110,000 miles, so I figure I got pretty much a full life out of the wheel bearing, here is a pick of the parts cleaned up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And no I didn't have to drain brake fluid, as you can see I just removed the caliper and used a bungee chord to hold it up so there is no stress being put on the brake lines, it's also 0 celcius here right now so I had to be careful not to bend them at all, they don't like the cold! Also disconnected abs wiring!

Products Discussed in

To Top