1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calling the plumbers in the crowd

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Brunes, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Nov 25, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    So I'm working my way thru the house (I can't say new house any more really...We have made a couple mortgage payments) and the honey-do list.
    Step 1 was fix a leaking hot water feed line in the attic...which turned into have a plumber come in and replace the 10+ year old hot water heater. Good choice- The water is hot and seems to flow a little better-

BUT the problem is that it takes a good 45 seconds to a minute of full open hot tap to get hot water to the faucets on the far side of the house-the master bath and the kitchen sink.

So I've been doing some reading: http://www.askthebuilder.com/413_Hot_Water_Recirculating_Pumps.shtml

and they seem to think the timer recirc pumps with the temperature sensing valve is the way to go.

Two things:
    1) Anyone have any stories about how they are to install and/or how they worked.
    2) Any idea how to tell which faucet is farthest from the hot water heater??

Sorry for the ramble. Any tips or stories are appreciated!!

2. Nov 25, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I installed a recirculatint pump in my house about 5 years ago. It's pretty easy. THey work pretty well. You set the time for when you want the hot water to be instant. We have ours set to run from 9 PM to 9 AM. It takes maybe two hour to install. You put it under the faucet farthest from the water heater, which for us is our master bath.

3. Nov 26, 2010 at 4:40 AM
    Brunes

Brunes [OP] abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Hot water tank is set about 130-140 ish and the house is 1500 sq ft and it's about 40 feet from the tank to the faucet (which leaves about .91 gallons of water in the pipe).

4. Nov 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    sounds kinda like my house man. our water heater is very close to the back bathroom in the house, but the bathroom on the far end of the house would get the hottest water first, which was kinda weird to me, but its just how its piped. our house is right over 1500 sq. ft. as well. i turned the water heater up, and now it evened out for both bathrooms and the kitchen, but it is good and hot. you may wanna try bumping the water heater up some and see what happens.

5. Nov 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    buck

buck Don't sweat the petty - pet the sweaty

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    15 DC V6 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    High-flow coconut smiley-face air freshener.
    Don't worry about knowing exactly what the absolute furthest point is in the plumbing system. If the shower you normally use takes a while to get the hot water to, plumb in the recirc to that bathroom.

Products Discussed in

To Top