1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Batt Cap or Big 3?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 07TacoRidah, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Nov 25, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    $190 I think, Sears Diehard Platinum. EXACT same thing as an Odyssey, just rebadged for Sears.

2. Nov 25, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah [OP] SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    HELLL YEAH thanks man, good lookin out :D:cool:

3. Nov 28, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
  4. Nov 28, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    rscecil007

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    No, mine is a P-4, 880 CCA's (group 34/78 DT I think.) I can't find it on the site, but it wasn't on there when I got mine either, then showed up again after. So you may have to go to a physical store to track one down. Just be sure to get the little tray that snaps on the bottom for it to sit on. That P-3 may very well work though, I don't see why not. I can't even remember honestly why I settled on the P-4.

As for the factory terminals, the negative reached. The positive one I had to extend the lead coming off the fusebox. It's the lead coming off the terminal that shoots strait up vertically in my picture, with the wire loom around it. That wasnt' hard, but getting the upper part of the fusebox off so you could access the connections was a PITA. You have to pop the lid off, then basically undo 5 snap points on the upper part of the fusebox to get to the lower part where the connections are. Not easy and fast, but not hard either.

5. Nov 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    07TacoRidah

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to go with the P4 instead just to be on the safe side. Hopefully it won't be too hard for me to do, the power leads looks very tricky as it is, the neg. leads are a snap I already have that one planned out. Thanks again, trying to get this battery as a xmas present to myself. :D

6. Nov 28, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    rscecil007

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's easy to do, just a bit time consuming dealing with the fuse box. And that isn't that bad.

Just remember when/if you do the Big 3 to the alternator, you really shouldn't need 1/0g on there. That's such a short run of wire (like 18"), a good quality 4g wire will handle that current just fine. The post to connect it to on the alternator is very small, and doesn't have much extra threads on it even with just the stock connection.

I'm still not sold on the idea that that portion of the big 3 is of value and worth it. I did it initially in 1/0g when I was going to run several old school Phoenix Gold Ti amps, but since I went with a JL HD, there's just not that much current pull from the stereo. So that, and I wasn't really satisfied with the connection I used, I just pulled that cable altogether.

My "big 2" now consists of the neg battery terminal to the chassis, and neg batt terminal to the alternator housing (basically the engine block). I've got another 1/0g cable laying around that I may try to connect the chassis to the engine block for craps and giggles.

Products Discussed in

To Top