1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snugtop canopy keyless unlock

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cheesycook, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Apr 4, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    Cheesycook

Cheesycook [OP] Geek with a gun

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    I just bought a snugtop extra vision from a guy for my 01 DC and love it for grocery gettin. My wife hates using the locking mechanism so I found a keyless remote unlock system consisting of an electric unlock mechanism just like regular locking solenoid in a door, a relay, a controller, and remotest. Looks like is just needs a power and ground. Was wondering if anyone else has ever installed one because there are no instructions and I am at a loss as to how this attaches to the lock.

2. Nov 27, 2010 at 12:09 AM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Did you ever figure it out? I'm in the same boats as you. Please let me know. Thanks

3. Nov 27, 2010 at 12:14 AM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    Revival!

4. Nov 27, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    I actually did get it. Started a new thread HERE.

Since then I have wired the remote to a relay connected to my car alarm. My trunk release actually opens my canopy. Kinda nice.

Livinserene likes this.
  5. Nov 27, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Sweet! Thanks. My shell locking mechanisim is a little different though. I have a lever to unlock it and a lever to open it. I noticed the servo actually pulls twice when unlocked. I may have to rig 2 cables for each since it pulls twice, I may actually have a shot. My shell comes with the option of keyless entry, which I didnt get. Im wondering if the shells that have the keyless entry have different locks on them? Thats awesome that you got your alarm to unlock it. I just bought a Viper 5901 with the Iphone controller. I wonder if I can integrate it with the servo?

6. Nov 28, 2010 at 2:11 AM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Mine pulls twice as well. I removed the locking T handle all together so the servo could move freely. I just have to pull out as I unlock the rear as there is no spring to push out on it. Running off a car alarm is easier than you would think. Just takes some ingenuity. All you have to do is use a simple 30A relay with the trunk release wire coming off of your alarm the same as they would wire a car with a trunk. then attach the relay to what ever powers your servo. I wired it up to a spare remote for the servo. I should go back and redo it with a hard connection to the device as it sometimes doesn"t activate. The snug-top remote release kit is a bit on the cheap side so the remote is meant to be activated right next to the servo and not from under my dash.

7. Nov 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Thanks for your help. I think i figured it out now with your help. Im gonna install tonight and will post pics afterwards. I may need some more of your help on the alarm hookup.

8. Nov 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road

Ok, I just got finished. Here are my pics, let me know what you think. I think it turned out pretty good. I just ran all the relays and wires to the box in my bed so I didn't have to drill any holes in my truck. I get my Viper 5901 alarm/autostart and the iphone smart start installed on the 1st. It would be cool to unlock my Snugtop using my iphone, hopefully the installer can do it or maybe you can help. Thanks for all you comments and help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Nov 28, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    Cheesycook

Member:
    Hermiston, OR
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 DC Tacoma V6
    Looks great, pretty clean. Wish mine came with a box to hide stuff in. :) The little red button on the controller is all your installer should need. Hook that to a relay wired the same as a trunk release and you are golden. Only difference is that the relay won't provide a 12v charge to the button it will just allow the cables connected to the button to connect and make your module think the button was pressed. Keep me notified.

10. Nov 28, 2010 at 10:33 PM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Is the only purpose for the red button is to program the keyfob that came with it? I was hoping that I could use the red button to program my toyota keyfob but apparently its not compatable. Ill let you know the outcome after I get my alarm installed.

Products Discussed in

To Top