1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear end shakes when accelerating

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DaytonLax14, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Dec 1, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    thatSchusterguy

thatSchusterguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    96 X-Cab
    OME/881 Dakars Demello HD sliders Marlin 1200# Clutch Rust and Duct Tape
    Just goes to show you how important it is to remember to lube up!
    :bananadance:

2. Dec 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.
    Depeneds??? How much can you do yourslef? Can you remove the drive shaft? Did the drive shaft contact and damage the front yoke? If the ears ground on each other then you will probally need to replace the drive shaft.

Search car-parts.com for your used drive shaft. (Part / price / phone #)

A good drive line shp can replace the front yoke but that might be over your head. I prefer to source a good Heavy TRUCK drive line shop for professional drive shaft repair (Dump truck / over the road truck). Race shops charge race prices / truck shops do quality work for less.

3. Dec 1, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    DTFtacoma

DTFtacoma Dezert Toy Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner D-cab
    DTF LT front & rear
    They're like 10-20 bucks a pop just go to your local autoparts store and grab some and go to harbor freight and grab a ball-joint/u-joint press it'll make your life much easier

P.S. I hate needle bearing and soon you will to ;)

4. Dec 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    If you buy a china u-joint you might ought to buy them by the dozzen or at least carry a few spares. Even NAPA and Precison offer a line to compete with the China parts (they are now forced to compete and offer the same junk). The sad thing is all the low cost auto parts have diluted the US market. It is getting more and more difficult to find quality pieces. A good joint should be in the $20 - $30 range.

GMB offered by NAPA is a top quality U-joint manufactured in Japan.

The GMB joint listed here at NAPA online is $28.08

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=ATMAP17_0257370207&An=599001+101999+50070+2070023

Just a W.A.G. ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ But a shop is going to get about 2 hrs to pull the shaft and replace the joints. Make sure they are using a quality joint, some parts places hook the shop into selling cheap china pieces at inflated prices then the shop and parts house split the profit. I'd guess you'd be looking @ around $200 - $350 if you took it some where.

Or

Under $100 if you did it your self and bough the ball joint press / u-joint press.

Needle bearings are not an issue one you get beyond f'n up a few new joints. Just use lots of grease to hold them in place.

You can search "u-joint change" on you tube for a few How too videos...

Key Words: Universal Joint change changing bad drive shaft vibration front axle shaft yoke press.

5. Dec 1, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    DaytonLax14

DaytonLax14 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    98 extended cab TRD Off Road
    If I have a shop put it on, I am going to buy a u joint myself and then take it to the shop to avoid getting cheap parts. I'll look at some youtube videos to determine if I can do this myself, i'm probably better at working with my hands and tools than most 18 year olds. Thanks for all the help fellas.

6. Dec 1, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Once you do a few and get comfortable you can do them trail side with minimal tools (Hammer / socket / tree stump).

Even if you are not comfortable with the u-joint but can remove the drive shaft. A truck shop will replace the U-joints for you if you bring them just your drive shaft and your new joints. Probally under $50 to install your joint.

You still need to determine if your yoke and shaft ears are good. Otherwise you have bigger issues.

7. Dec 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Going back to the leaf springs. Yes you can do them. Took me 13 hours to get them done... The front bolt that likes to get seized in the sleeve. I ended up cutting the drivers side out and ran into a slight problem... I didn't have a spare bolt. Stop by Toyota and get the bolts prior to starting, plan on cutting the old ones out (only front) and get the OME greasable shackles with them.

8. Dec 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    can you tell if they're good just by looking at them? when i was under my truck today they looked normal nothing looked out of ordinary

9. Dec 1, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Yes ~ that one u-joint cap in your picture looks dislocated. Usually when the needles fail and the cap seperates from the trunion the yoke ear will rub the shaft ear. This will damage / distorte the ears along with their machined fit for the caps and clips. It is often overlooked at first glance ~ But once you know where to look you can see the shiny metal and grind marks.

Looking at your pic again I'm 90% sure you have yoke damage.

2dbjp95_aa7ba5b0a11217c961eade4746b1717bc1bed5f0.jpg

I should not be able to see the center of the trunion post that that cap should be sitting on.

10. Dec 2, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    well i took it to the shop and i need a new yoke as well. since i can't weld, i'm going to have them do it. I am also getting all new u joints. parts and labor is $400

11. Dec 3, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Even if you could weld you would still have a drive line shop do it.

I'll do a few off road only shafts and square tube shafts but all of my street legal drive shaft work goes to the drive line shop.

Some how I missed that you had an X-cab ??? That has the 2-piece shaft and carrier bearing.

Complete used shaft with the center bearing and CV might be cheaper (I have no ideia what they run). Searching Car-parts.com (Used parts resource).

This place in Ohio says they have one (Stock # S1897) but do not list a price. Might be worth a call if it could be turned into a quick 1/2 hr drive way bolt on repair for $250 or less. Much mor then that I'd lean toward repairing your old one.

Being an X cab you have 4 rear u-joints on the drive shaft but with the carrier bearing the u-joint at the trans should be uneffected by axle wrap.

Rear Drive Shaft
    Toyota Tacoma S1897$CallBrims Imports Auto USA-OH(Kenton) Request_Quote 1-800-221-3874 Request_Insurance_Quote

12. Dec 3, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Another option might be to find some one with a damaged shaft tube and good front yokes. Have them cut the front yoke assy off about 6" back and then the drive line shop and machine the old tube off and reweld onto your shaft.

Check for some one doing a Taco Truggy build or parting out a salvage truck.

350TacoZilla on here might have those pieces

13. Dec 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    the guy at the shop said if I bought another used driveshaft, most of them will be high mileage ones and won't be very good. I found this hard to believe and questioned him because i mean a driveshaft can't be that affected from high miles. Oh well...Mine has to be straightened as well

14. Dec 3, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    GET A SECOND OPINION !!!!!

Only high miles wear might be in the slip yoke if it were not lubed properly ~ otherwise it is just u-joints.

I had a yoke put on a shaft here locally for $50 and I provided the used yoke. This was a smokin deal but you should have other options.

At over $1K for the rear shaft assy it looks like toyota is right proud of that shaft too :eek:.

Drive shaft, tacoma, 4wd, 6 cylinder, extended cab, manual trans 95-04 $1,065.46 Order By Year Engine & Model Type. [​IMG][​IMG]Drive shaft, tacoma, 4wd, 6 cylinder, extended cab, auto trans 95-04 $1,148.51 Order By Year Engine & Model Type.

15. Dec 4, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    DaytonLax14

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    i know i know but i need my truck back quick cus it's my only method of transportation and I have to have a way to get to the rodeo tonight

Products Discussed in

To Top