1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear recovery points

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AKTACO420, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Aug 26, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    I wanna know were people are hooking a recovery line and if you installed a strong recovery point on the rear of the truck? Thanks

2. Aug 26, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
  3. Aug 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM
    AKTACO420

AKTACO420 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RETODD
    Anchorage AK
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma
    bucket seats grille craft mesh grille and lights behind grille
    My problem is I have no hitch I'm looking for alternate locations but I would probably be better off just getting a hitch

4. Aug 27, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    ahhhh.....gotcha. well if you ever want to tow, the hitch would be better than the bumper and give you the ability to use a receiver shackle. aside from that, i dont know of another one back there

5. Dec 17, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    4x4x4

4x4x4 Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 4cyl SR5 Access cab
    Hey

So I have a stock 4 cylinder 4x4... I have not put a class III hitch on... So there is no place to hook up a recovery strap too in the rear of the truck?

I also hear it is bad to pull using the front recovery point... That it is bad to pull with the truck in reverse... hard on the drivetrain?

Is the only option to get a class III hitch or just keep passing stranded drivers?

[​IMG]

just a pic from the first snowfall we got here... we have much more now...

6. Dec 17, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I HAVE THE EXACT TRUCK BUT AN 09, I HAVE PULLED SEVERAL PEOPLE OUT OF THE DITCH WITH THE FRONT RECOVERY POINT AND REVERSE IN 4lo. NO PROBS YET. BUT I DID RECENTLY GET A HITCH AND WILL BE USING THAT NOW INSTEAD. ARE YOU CONSIDERING GETTING A HITCH AT ALL ANYWAY?

7. Dec 17, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    I am in the same situation. I was either going to go with an aftermarket off-road bumper or check with a local fab shop to see if they can weld something to the frame.

Also I have only done one recovery with the front hook and I would rather not do it again. Driving in 4lo, in reverse, tugging on a snatch strap, is not something I felt comfortable doing but it got the job done.

8. Dec 17, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    If you use the correct front point and do a snatch properly there is no problem. The issue comes in when people think that they can pull a completely sunk or weighted out truck with a strap and just gun it! That being said I stick with 2K rpm or less with a 20 foot lead to build momentum and just do light snatches. I always use D-rings properly rated and always put in the time to make sure a path is clear and the truck is ready to go first time.

I have had to use the front point to recover and go in reveres, just used a slow gear and stayed around 1500 rpm but I would not do this as a first choice. I also make sure that I am not trying to pull out trucks that are insane heavy! I keep under my rated tow all ways.

On the rear there have been a few guys up here that have just put d-rings on what they found to be solid frame points or put straps around the frame and done recover, however I have heard stories of bad alignment the next day or vibrations when driving.

I am sure this is stuff everyone already knows but just thought I would throw my thoughts in. We do tons of snow recovery up here since the tow trucks cant make it to our area very often. So we try and do our best to help the CA people who know nothing.

Best ever was a toyota tercel that put the chains on the REAR TIRES and then reved up to 8K and was confused to why he wasnt moving....

9. Dec 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Yeah...a built gmc w/ aftermarket axles blew the front diff trying to pull a POS cherokee at URE

10. Dec 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    You can get a Class III brand new for 108. on EBay, or a Curt or Hidden Hitch for about 150-160. The aftermarket hitches are good quality and will work for Towing, and for your needs. I bought the Curt Receiver and it is great.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top