1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

so pissed at toyota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nastyblowpop, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dec 17, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR AT DCLB w/JBL Premium Package
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    service mgr: "im sorry for yer loss. now stop driving through 3' deep muddy puddles on ___ st. thatll be $300 please." maybe the city will reimburse you.

2. Dec 17, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    AHHAHAHAHA!! that city is effed!! fight the power!

3. Dec 17, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
    Why is...

Chris4x4 always right? :D

I have done some stupid stuff in my truck and getting mud in the alternator has never happened. I also would never think to bring it to the dealership unless I knew/did these things:

1. Sprayed the S#$% out of alternator with a power washer
    2. Sprayed the S#$% out of the truck with a power washer
    3. Wanted to risk voiding my warranty

4. Dec 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.

What ^^^ said!

5. Dec 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    yup and you got off easy, on my old truck i had the alt die 200 miles from home so no tools .... $450 for a new one!

6. Dec 17, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    Huskerjim

Huskerjim You gotta love your brother inlaw!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fleming Island, Florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Sport
    Ballistic Wheels Nitto Tires Extang Cover Exhaust Duel Leather Interior OEM Bug Shield Bullet Grill and Ect. Bed Mat

7. Dec 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Viper remote start alarm 2.5" Spacer in front, 1.5" spacer in rear, rear TSB performed N-Fab Nerf bars 16" x 8" Vision Warrior wheels 265/75/16 Dura Trac tires
    You are absolutely right, my brother has worked as a driveability mechanic for General Motors for 20+ years and we talk all the time about shit people bring in for warranty repair.
    Their dealership(madisonville,tx) sold 20+ 1 ton 4wd trucks to the coal mine. They had two in the shop a few months ago when i was visiting. One had a broken axle and the other had the transmission torn out of it. These coal mine trucks are totally abused and my brother said the dealership knows it and so does GM but they want to sell trucks so they cover all of those abuse repairs under original factory warranty.

One other example of a dealerships calls, a BIG LADY bought a car from my brothers dealership and lets just say she looked like she just stepped off one of the episodes of COPS. She burnt a big hole in the front seat with a cigarette or blunt and brought the car back to the shop and said it came that way she didn't see the burn when she bought it. She raised so much hell they ended up putting a new seat in her car under warranty. Should that be covered Hell No but that is another example of "its a dealership call".

I along with many of you bought a TRD w the Off-Road package and I totally disagree with those of you that are saying he abused it (how do YOU know and define abuse).Everyones defintion is different.
    • Drove it into the Ocean - abuse
    • Tried to cross a river - abuse
    • mud splashed on alternator causing it to short out - abuse, prove it. A dealership can CSAT(customer satisfaction) anything they want to and cover it uner warranty
    Jeeps advertise their vehicles in all offroad conditions and if you break something under warranty they fix it.
    I had an H2 and drove through water so high it was splahing over the hood onto the windshield. (My aunt was trapped in her house with flood waters rising, had to try to get to her and made it). My H2 was less the 3 months old and the high water shorted out some of my electrical system. GM didn't hesitate, the dealership was a Cadillac/Hummer dealership so they gave me a new cadillac to drive for free and fixed my Hummer no cost/no hassle.

Offroading is a relative term and abuse is a subjective term all left to the discretion of the dealership.

Bottom line I paid almost $30k for a truck that has an Off-Road package with skid plates, locking differantial and traction control. Is this package and equipment on there so I can get a good parking spot at the mall or so I can get to the grocery store in the event that it snows. I don't think so.

In my gallery is my H2, I don't have the wifes Rubicon posted yet. But there is some of the other full size trucks on there also that I have used and beat the shit out of(4 wheeling, hauling using them as a TRUCK)and never had any warranty coverage issue. As I am thinking of it the only warranty issue I have ever has was with Toyota. The dealership(Gastonia,NC) I bought my 2010 from wouldn't do the TSB, I had to go to Toyota of Concord and they performed it, no questions asked. Dealership Call AGAIN

8. Dec 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Because the ad is probably a few years old. When the 2nd gen first game out it was rated at 245hp until they changed the way manufacturers calculated hp and it dropped to 236, as many cars ratings dropped(and a few went up).

In the end, as has been mentioned, without saying whether this specific incident is abuse or not, there has to be a line drawn at some point or they would be on the hook all the time for people completely beating the piss out of their vehicles. Take for example the video of a certain someone here completely fucking their truck in the desert flying off those couple jumps. That was off road, should that be covered?

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, I think it's a close call whether or not this should be covered.

9. Dec 18, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
  10. Dec 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    nastyblowpop

nastyblowpop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4x4 rugged trail
    wow i didnt expect this many replies. i agree with everyone saying its not a warranty issue. i over reacted and was pretty much out of line. i was hitting mud and going through it at decent rate of speed.

although, i dont have to worry about it anymore, i fixed the truck myself on wednesday morning and got sandwiched in a car accident on thursday night. my truck is totalled so the alternator repair issue is not any of my worry anymore. now i get to go find a new car.

11. Dec 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    ^^^^^^LMAO

12. Dec 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    now THAT is a fantastic conclusion to this tale. I guess you were just not supposed to have a taco. good luck

13. Dec 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Sue the Dealership & Toyota, because if they just would have covered the thing it would have been the rental that would have been totaled. :D

14. Dec 18, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    Rbohno

Rbohno Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Charlotte,NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD OffRoad
    Viper remote start alarm 2.5" Spacer in front, 1.5" spacer in rear, rear TSB performed N-Fab Nerf bars 16" x 8" Vision Warrior wheels 265/75/16 Dura Trac tires
    Wow, man that sucks. I am glad you weren't injured. This forum is great and shows all the different viewpoints from all the members. Hopefully you weren't upside down(financially) in the truck since it was on a couple of years old.

15. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    nastyblowpop

nastyblowpop [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC 4x4 rugged trail
    yeah im fine just a bit sore..i do have GAP insurance though so whatever my insurance doesnt cover gap will. so i come out owing $0. its a pretty nice setup

16. Dec 18, 2010 at 6:39 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    If there is no damage IE. mud or water scoring on the alternator take pics and include it in your letter to Toyota. Meanwhile you might have a friend (preferrably) a girl approach the same salesman you used and see if she can't buy a toyota with the same warranty he promised you. If he does have her sign a sworn statement (affidavit) and submit it to toyota with your claim. If you feel very very reasonable volunteer to pay for the labor if toyota will pay for the parts!

Products Discussed in

To Top