1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question for you beach goers out there...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cobrakenny, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sep 24, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    I'll be down in Buxton the 2nd weekend of November with my Dad. Can't wait for some extended beach driving in my truck finally!

Now I just gotta finish bolting on my sliders, get an off-road base for my hi-lift, and bolt my rod rack on to my Avid light bar. I've already got my front mud flaps removed, and I think I'm going to leave the rears on.

2. Sep 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Since we're on the subject, here's an idea for you surf fishermen. I took the Tacoma bed divider and bolted twelve 2" pvc pipes to it to make a rod holder. The white tube is for the 16' flag pole! :D

This setup keeps the equipment protected more so than transporting the rods close to the ground on the front/ rear bumper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Sep 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    Nomad, what is the exact part of that bed divider and how much will it cost me? Any online sources?

4. Sep 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    On Toyota's web site, they call it a cargo divider. I don't have a part number for you. If there's a Toyota dealership over there, their parts dept. could quote you a price. BUT, I'd be willing to bet it's probably going to be a lot more than you should pay for it.

$246.00

$292.58

Or you could put out a "WTB" in this section of TW. Maybe someone around here has one sitting in the back of their garage and would be willing to part with it for a reasonable price.

Btw, what's Ktown? I'm just guessing here, but is that Kaiserslautern? I was stationed in Nurnberg and Bamberg while serving.

One more question... wouldn't shipping to Germany for an oversized item like the cargo divider eat you alive?

5. Sep 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    757southpaw

757southpaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    07' DC LB TRD Sport 4x4
    BAK BakFlip Tonneau cover, 30% front tinted windows, AVS vent shades, Black Billet Grill,Pop& Lock, secondary air filter removed, Goodyear Duratrac's, Billies @ 2.5" on front, Billies on back w/ 1.5" AAL, Toytec Diff drop, NOKYA Hyper Yellow fog light bulbs, LaminX Weathertechs, Rear diff breather mod, BHLM
    When I was down there earlier this summer (ramp 27), I got into some deep sand which resulted in the front mud flats rubbing against the tires as I back myself out. NO DAMAGE!

6. Sep 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi Ken,

My mud flaps are off now, but not because beach driving was ever much of an issue. In rock crawling, ruts, etc. if you drop into a ditch and back out, the tire and ditch will 'pinch' the mud flap and pop it off. Heavy mud weight will tear the flaps away from the truck... that's right mud will wreck the mud flaps!

Yes, I am on the 'left coast', but that Baja beach is on the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California) and is on the right (east) coast of Baja... just like the Atlantic ocean is to you guys! :D:cool:;)

7. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:

Hey Nomad,

you are a good dude. Quite helpful....Sorry about the profile not being updated, but it is now. I am now is Georgia. Yes, that part would have raped me in the s/h fees if it went to Germany. Yes, you got it right. It is Kaiserslautern. I was stationed in Schweinfurt at one time and this is where I met my wife. She has family in Nuernberg, Bamberg and Amberg (last town is where she is really from). I would take it you were there in the mid 80s-90s? Only military activity is now in Bamberg. Now that I am back stateside, I can make friends with the local UPS dude. I mainly order online. Unfortunately, the UPS driver that services my route is a rough looking girl.

Thanks again for your reply. People like you make the forum experience great. I wished those jerks at Toyo USA would do the same. Currently loosing sleep over the tranny bearing issue on my 2007. I have been around toyotas all my life and the QA on them is really bad now.

8. Sep 25, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    3 towns were my old unit had operations... 2nd Cav

Correct on the time line. My old unit deployed back stateside in the early 90's.

Want to hear another good one? I was at Gordon in '88-'89 for AIT. Small world.

9. Sep 25, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    dman597

dman597 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    maryland
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC 4X4 SPORT w/Tow
    6" Pro Comp Lift,295-75-R17,access rollup,Tint,front hitch,nfab step bars
    :eek: WOW you have more fishing poles then bass pro

10. Sep 25, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    :D Actually, only 3 of them are mine... one shark rig and two regular surf rods. I volunteer my truck every year to be the pack mule for some of my buddies and their gear on our annual fishing trip. For 12 guys, it costs quite a bit to get all of our crap to and from the island so we consolidate as much as we can.

Yeah, if I fished even half of those rods in the back of my truck at one time, I'd be one busy S.O.B. That'd almost be like work. :eek:

11. Oct 14, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    CapnJack

CapnJack CapnJack

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Suburbs of DC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    Westin Platinum 4" Chrome Nerf Bars, Xtang Tri-Fold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Computer Cut Floormats, Horn relocate, Custom light bar with Hella 500's, Satoshi flush mount color matched grill, Color match eyelids, Avid off road light bar, Fog lights always on, Rear view mirror camera always on
    As long as you air down you will not have a problem even on the softest sand. I usually air down to about 18 and have no problems. Airing down not only is better for your tranny and motor but also cuts down on erosion.

I also thought i would share some pics of the rod holder i fabricated from some steel and the old rod holder i had mounted on my old Jeep Cherokee. I thought long and hard on how to do this without drilling into my new truck. I used the existing bed bolts. I also allows me have almost full use of my bed for cooler, tackle and beach chair...

IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0903.jpg

12. Oct 15, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    I'm just glad you guys are putting them behind the cab. It drives me a nuts when I almost get hit by a guy with 10 rods mounted vertically from his front bumper.

Another really good way to mount these for anyone that doesn't know is using ski-racks. They clamp right down on rods and rescue equipment really well.

13. Oct 15, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Great idea on the ski rack dude!

14. Oct 16, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    CapnJack

CapnJack CapnJack

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Suburbs of DC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    Westin Platinum 4" Chrome Nerf Bars, Xtang Tri-Fold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Computer Cut Floormats, Horn relocate, Custom light bar with Hella 500's, Satoshi flush mount color matched grill, Color match eyelids, Avid off road light bar, Fog lights always on, Rear view mirror camera always on

Yeah, the Thule Ski rack is great. That is what i had on my Cherokee before i got my Tacoma. The nice thing about the Thule is that you can "lock" the racks with your rods in. This leaves the rods safe but someone can always remove the reel quite easily. But it is better then nothing.

It holds 4 surf rods comfortably, but you need a roof rack of course

15. Dec 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    Surf Taco

Surf Taco Greg

Member:
    SoCal (Gardena)
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco, X-1, Thorley Headers, 6" Lift 17"Rim
    6" lift 17" rims/tires X-One TRD intake & exhaust L2S Sport Rack System
    I also thought i would share some pics of the rod holder i fabricated from some steel and the old rod holder i had mounted on my old Jeep Cherokee. I thought long and hard on how to do this without drilling into my new truck. I used the existing bed bolts. I also allows me have almost full use of my bed for cooler, tackle and beach chair...[/QUOTE]

Now that's an original idea. Do you cast out & use them from shore or are they just for transporting? let's see some catch!

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top