1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

easy 2009 xm install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Raylo, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:22 AM
    Raylo

Raylo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5 OffRoad; (2009 Tacoma - sold)
    All stock, except for audio and convenience add-ons
    I just went down and installed my Xpress RC in the 09 Tacoma. I haven't decided whether I like any of the aftermarket brackets that require minor disassembly of the panel, mostly due to the location they put the radio in.... too far to the right. So I came up with a quick alternative.

First, I ordered an Arkon cup holder mount and the SAF12M factory sat antenna adaptor from TSS radio. Then I got a plastic bicycle water bottle and cut off the top tapered half leaving a piece with a uniform circular section. Then I filled it halfway with some heavy hardware to give it some heft and popped the cup holder mount in the top and tightened it. Then I took off the kick panel and plugged in the sat antenna lead to the factory location.

Then I put a huggie on the bottle bottom and popped it into the left front cupholder where it sits very securely. Attached the cradle to the mount and then plugged the power adapter into the cig lighter and connected an audio patch cable from the cradle to the factory AUX input and the other end of the sat antenna cable to the cradle and ...... done. No disassembly except for the kick panel and no wiring. It was all plug and play. The radio sits just below the climate control fan switch in easy finger reach. Also easy to putt the radio off the cradle to use in my other car and inside the house.

Maybe do a bracket in the future if I find one I like but this'll do for now.

IMG_0246.jpg

2. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:45 AM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    I just got the same one this week from Crutchfield. So far it works great. I have it mounted down behind the cup holders and used the velcro I had for my scan gauge down there. Now I think I will be moving the scan gauge to the steering column but not sure yet.

3. Nov 20, 2008 at 9:55 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Yes it works OK, except for slightly low volume going through the AUX input.

And another issue.... I was planning to do an easy upgrade of my Camaro's old SkyFi w/wired FM modulator setup to use the new Xpress, too. I got a sceond car kit thinking I would just have to swap the cradle. But NOOOOOOO! The power connector and antenna connectors are different on the Xpress cradle. And the voltage coming out of the wired SkyFi FM Modulator is 7 volts, not 5. So bottom line is I need to take everything apart and install a new FM modulator and antenna that are compatible with the Xpress. Gack.... Or just pay for the second radio and keep it SkyFi. But that defeats the purpose.

4. Nov 20, 2008 at 3:06 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I like RAM Mounts. Your setup reminds me of their cupholder mount:
    [​IMG]

5. Nov 22, 2008 at 7:44 PM
    fendertweed

fendertweed Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma base

where exactly is the factory tie in for the sat antenna lead? And do you know what years that started? I have an '05 and one of the big stumbling blocks so far is the antenna tie-in, having trouble figuring how to route the sat antenna out to my FM antenna on the fender, would love not to have to do that.

Thanks.

6. Nov 23, 2008 at 4:36 AM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    Factory XM antenna connector is in a terminal block behind drivers kick panel. I believe it is new for 2009. See thread here for pics. This is for the actual XM signal reception not for sending the modulated audio signal to the truck's FM antenna. If you had an XM antenna you would see it on the roof.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259495

If your question is how to avoid running the sure connect wire to the truck's antenna I recommend getting a direct connect wired FM modulator or one of the add on aux port devices. Gotta pull the radio for these, though.

7. Nov 23, 2008 at 7:01 AM
    fendertweed

fendertweed Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma base

thanks... right, that's what I did our Matrix (the aux port device, with the Xm antenna on the dash up front (That works OK)). I haven't used the Sure Connect yet in any of our 3 cars.

jc

8. Feb 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    vehiclewrapper

vehiclewrapper Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle Wrapper
    White Plains NY
    did you ever figure out why the aux volume was low? i have the same problem and it makes no sense at all to me.

9. Feb 6, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Here's the set-up I have in my 08 DC. I got the bracket from Crutchfield and it works great. Not too far to reach. It's just right for me.

_MG_9844_68a93d0b2c0595f2ceb936562775b39e15083467.jpg

10. Feb 7, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Raylo

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    That's just the way it is with the stock radio. I totally redid my setup with an aftermarket nav head unit. I am using my Xpress with their wired FM modulator connected to the navi head unit and it rocks. If you don't want to go that route I have seen some cheap aftermarket inline amp/boosters for the aux input signal. I don't recall the names, tho.

11. Apr 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    jbuzzm

jbuzzm Member

Member:
    Sioux Lookout, On
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab
    Has anyone installed a skyfi3. What bracket would work. Do the Canadian tacomas have the satellite antenna plug in? Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top