1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hidden Garage Door Opener

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by harshest, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Dec 11, 2008 at 7:22 AM
    harshest

harshest [OP] I am the Sofa King

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Fog Light On, Hidden Garage Door Opener, Scanguage II, Weathertech Liners, Cig lighter always on, Door buzzer removed from dash- Upcoming: 5100s for front and rear, set fronts to 2.5" and Toytec AALs.
    Here is a pretty simple mod I did for those of us too cheap/poor to buy a Homelite mirror. I have an 05 with the compass so that eliminates the garage door opener holder and since the visor is too thick for the clip I decided to hide it under the dash.

Before we start I am no electrical engineer but figured out how to make this work on my remote. It may not be the best way but the button on the remote works as well as my wired button. I am not sure how similar remotes are but mine is a Genie and is about 3 years old.

I used this momentary ON switch from radio shack but am going to upgrade to this one soon.

First:
    I took the remote apart and using an OHM meter figured out what the button on the remote did when it was activated. Once I had that figured out I used some electrical tape to temporarily hold the wires in place while I tested the radio shack button. Once I knew it would work I soldered the wires in place:

Front of remote
    [​IMG]

Back of remote with wires soldered on
    [​IMG]

Next
    I drilled some holes in the side of the remote housing to let the wires through.
    [​IMG]

Then
    I turned my attention to the radio shack switch. I soldered the wires to the new switch and drilled a hole in one of the blank panels. To get the switch to stay in place I basically filled the back side with hot glue.

[​IMG]

Finally
    I used a couple of quick disconnects and tucked the remote under the dash board and reinstalled the panel in the dash.

[​IMG]

Since I am not very good with a dremel I am going to replace both switched with these. A regular ON/OFF for my amp (on the left) and a Momentary ON for the garage door opener.

2. Dec 11, 2008 at 7:42 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Nice job! Janster's husband did a similar mod in his corvete but wired to a HomeLink module ripped out of a HomeLink visor. I bought the visor (ebay - $25), ripped out the HomeLink module, but haven't found a suitable place to mount a switch. My '09 doesn't have any of those blank spots to the left of the steering wheel. They're all used.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:21 AM
    lsarg27

lsarg27 Member

Member:
    Cape Cod.
    Vehicle:
    4x4 double cab long bed
    Tonneau, cold air intake, TSB
    Ok, this mod kicks ass. If you don't have any spaces left in the dash, just drill the switch into the panel under the steering wheel. Check behind before drilling though.

4. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    praetor

praetor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Accesscab TRD Off Road
    Me likey, Small project for this weekend.

5. Dec 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM
    Radelix

Radelix Runs with Scissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    17 trdor dcsb 6mt
    I as well like it and as stated above, just need that garage....now where'd I put it.....

*wanders off*

6. Jan 15, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    ph16drive

ph16drive \m/.....\m/

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Clevelandish
    Vehicle:
    08 DC, V6, 4x4, 5-Speed Auto
    Shorty antenna, Pop-&-Lock tailgate lock, Undercover bed cover, Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (custom mount), bed mat, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, map light mod, suspension TSB, Billy 5100's all around, Eibach springs, custom fuel tank armor plate, custom cat armor plate, painted front brake calipers, Grillcraft MX upper grill & Hella 500s, ipod adapter, dash pushbutton garage door opener, aux reverse lights, custom ipod nano 4G mount, seatbelt chime mod, custom bull bar w/ (3) Lightforce 140 Lance lights, POR-15 Chassis Coat Black drivetrain, illum 4x4 switch, xtra bed D-rings mod, locker anytime mod, diff breather relocation mod, ABS disable switch mod, Heated seats
  7. Jan 16, 2009 at 7:03 AM
    apkarian100

apkarian100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hooksett,NH
  8. Feb 7, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    very nice, now i just need a house

9. Feb 7, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Good work.

10. Feb 27, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    Liquidity

Liquidity OIF Vet

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner TRD sport
    Thanks for the thread. Installed mine yesterday with a momentary rocker switch. It is freaking sweet.

11. Mar 10, 2009 at 7:03 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    I debated and debated on doing this MOD as I think it's a great idea. I just couldn't get the motivation and found a more simple solution that doesn't look as factory as what Harshest did. Still a good idea. I may pull it off and paint it black.

Used double sided tape :D
    IMG_4925_337fc2d7fa648e2328128773ae8c27b607e25335.jpg

12. Apr 27, 2009 at 1:57 PM
    22b22

22b22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California - East Bay
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab PreRunner TRD SR5
    OME 881/N91S - front Wheeler 5-pack/N85 - rear
    I was doing a search here to see if anyone had done the mod as I'm thinking about doing it this weekend. Did you check your battery in the remote? Yup - most of them are 12v powered, so you can ditch the cell and wire it direct and forget about it =]

I may just pickup a homelink module from fleabay though and put it in the door or visor. I didn't think about retrofitting one of those modules. Gonna think on it...

13. Jan 26, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    nxtruck

nxtruck Member

Member:
    I dont have my truck yet, but you may be able to do the same thing I did on my bike. I have a keychain garage remote hidden in my headlight bucket. I soldered the contacts of the switch (so its always on/circuit closed), then spliced into the power and ground of my high beam to power it on (takes 12v battery). This allows me to open my garage door by flashing my brights.

14. Sep 19, 2010 at 2:33 PM
    BigA

BigA Hey you'll watch this!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    A
    Yadkinville,NC
    Vehicle:
    07 sr5 tacomo trd debadged
    12v outlet power always on, fog light on anytime, Window tint, Extra D-Rings in bed, cheap anti theft tailgate mod, hidden garage door opener,LEDS in the map lights and the floor boards and in the main light,DTRL mod w/ factory relay and harness
    Hears the end result of mine did pretty much the same thing just put mine in between the map lights

P3071742.jpg
    P3071740.jpg

15. Jan 5, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    Skywalker6

Skywalker6 Goldmember

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Big Ol' Juicy Double
    I wanted to let everyone know that I did this mod on my '11 Sport. I used a dual position momentary rocker switch (Which I had to order off of Amazon because none of the stores I tried had the right switch) so that I could control both of my garage doors. The install was pretty smooth and the rocker switch looks stock. I'm really pleased with the way it came out. Thanks for the awesome idea and the walk-through!

16. Feb 6, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    samsung

samsung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    same problem here, but all i did was to use double sided sticky velcro and stuck it next to the rearview mirrow wire cap.

17. Sep 18, 2014 at 6:42 AM
    Yaozer

Yaozer Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red DCSB TRD Sport
    Flowmaster exhaust, 3" Old Man Emu lift, Konig Countersteer Rims, and too much more.
    Sorry for the thread necro. Harshest's photos were deleted and I'd like to do this mod. Does anyone have photos of the process they can post?

Products Discussed in

To Top