1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IDQ10V3 vs Alpine SWR-t10

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hutchg, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    hutchg

hutchg [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm going to get a two-sub box from SuperCrewSound. I can't decide on the IDQ10V3 or the Alpine SWR-10T.

I prefer SQ over SPL. I listen to all different types of music but mostly rap/hiphop when my son is in the truck. We do enjoy it when it gets LOWWW!

Right now, I have an Alpine 12" Type R in a sealed box on the back floor but wife says to move it! So I gotta go behind the seat.

Amp will be about 1,000 watts, just haven't picked one, yet.

Have any of you heard both?

Thanks
    Hutch

2. Jan 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    Snypar

Snypar Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC
    I am actually in the same dilemma. I have not heard both and scared of shallow mount woofers, but they are the new 'thing'. I have heard great things regarding Image Dynamics. Hence my post on the forums here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/131782-sub-opinions-2011-dc-opinions-needed.html
    The one thing that stands out here is that your box will have more volume than the Alpine SWR-10T would call for. .5cu ft vs .75cu ft. You wouldn't want over excursion, especially in a shallow mount.
    I did visit a local custom shop today in Ft Worth and heard a JL stealth box and HOLY CRAP, I was impressed. It hid harder and went lower than my 2 Rockford P2 10s in my 2006 Tacoma. Only bad thing is that the JL stealth box with 2 10's for our truck is ~$700. So I am still on the fence about getting 2 10's and building a custom box vs the JL Stealth.

3. Jan 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    hutchg

hutchg [OP] Member

Member:
    I can always use filler wood to take up extra space and bring down the volume from .75^ft to .5^ft if I go with the SWR-10T...but that kinda seems like a waste. If that's the route I go, I should just build my own box with a smaller volume. That would also give me more room to mount amps in the middle.

If I go with the IDQs, the the box is pretty much dedicated to them since they require a larger diameter hole than most 10" subs. Then, if I change my mind about my subs, I have to build a new box. (or put a spacer ring on the front with a smaller hole but that would start to cause clearance issues with the seat).

I need to set up a TACOMA SOUND MEET in Central Texas so I can hear some of these diff subs!

4. Jan 5, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    hutchg

hutchg [OP] Member

Member:
    UPDATE: The SuperCrewSound web site says I have to removed the "bolt brackets" to install their box. I just figured out what they meant and I don't want to remove them because then I can't put the black plastic trays back in if I sell the truck (and someone buying it might not want the subwoofers).

Sooootoooo, I guess I'll build my own box and be a guinea pig for the Alpine SWR-T10 subs.

5. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    hutchg

hutchg [OP] Member

Member:
    Snypar,

So I see you've decided on the JL W3v3 10" subs. ....5 7/8" mounting depth.....

Would you mind sharing your box plans with me?

Thanks
    Hutch

6. Jan 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    You can put em back in... just dont use those clips anymore... use velcro. However something like the JL Stealthbox will require cutting the whole interior of your plastic. I cut my whole rear support bar for the child seat latches and removed the tie ins for the plastic backs too. Tossed my rear seat backs as well. It does not really bother me nor would I expect it to harm resale value... its not something a dealer would look at, nor the average individual buyer.

7. Jan 11, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    Snypar

Snypar Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC
    Hutch, after all this, I have spent over 16 hours with templates and cannot make anything over 5.5" fit without issues. Thank goodness I didn't buy the W3s already. I know that many have deeper woofers back there, but I want to ensure I have plenty of room for excursion etc. so I left 1.5" from the face of my box on my templates. The issue is that big 'bulb' at the bottom of the seats when you fold them down. I want to be able to take the seat backs off and install my box. To do that, you have be able to fold them down. I don't like hitting the woofer or box with the seat. Some boxes, you can just 'slide' it down behind the seats without folding them all the way down.
    Long story short, I am going with the ID10D4v3. I should have them on Thursday. I can post my box dimensions after I finalize it.
    Also, don't worry about those clips. I cut mine off my 2006 DC and the plastic bins still have the bolts in the crossbar and side pins that will hold them in. I just cut them off my new 2011 too :)

8. Jan 11, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    "Mr. Marv" has some cool designs where he worked around the bolt brackets.

Example: gliderandenclosures007_77588b648085542a7bd5e301d3f0bc8dc3cf4968.jpg

Search the forum and you'll see his contact info. He's very generous with his advice if you're going to do it yourself and does fantastic work if you have him build it.

btw, I run a single box he built with an IDQ10v3. I listen to rock, not rap and it sounds great. Maybe you'll want a little more for rap. 2 IDQ10s will be extremely strong.

Products Discussed in

To Top