1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dana pays $25 million to Toyota to settle Tacoma claim

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by HogTaco, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:29 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The Dana frames were the ones with the engine mount brackets caving in on 2nd gens right? Anyone know when they might have started being from Hino? Most likely when San Antonio cranked up would be my guess so 05-10 have Dana frames? Great. Toyota needs to get their shit together or there will most likely be a different brand truck in my garage after this one plays out....not that they give a shit, nor would I. They are freefalling towards every other makers lame practices. Pretty soon their past rep which was earned will become false advertising. Wake the fuck up already, please.

2. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Dana sold the plant that made Tacoma frames to Metalsa, according to the article in OP's post. I just did a Google search and found another article from a SanAntonio newsrag that referenced Metalsa as being a supplier to the Toyota plant (which makes trucks) for 'frames'.

I also saw an article that a Canadian plant named something like Toyotec makes frames for Toyota; could have the name wrong and it didn't say what kind of frames or whether for trucks, SUV's, cars or what.

3. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:40 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    So far, the rusting problems seem to be confined to late 1990's Tacomas and early 2000 Tacoma's and Tundra's.

Wasn't the engine mount problem a design problem and not manufacturing?

Rust issues with 2nd Gen's are mostly hysteria induced by unrealistic expectations, IMO. Just comparing pictures on TW of what people think is bad rust to pictures of a real rusted out frame...and the bottom side of my 2001 Maxima. That's why I'm asking who's got a rusted out 2005 frame... let's see the pic's.

Here's some of an '03 Tundra to compare to...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tundraheadquarters/3805840133/in/photostream/

4. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:52 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I don't have rust, live in south. I have 4 cyl and think most of the motor mount issues were on earlier 2nd gen frames and was from 6cyl jumping parties but dammit, all this TSB and recall and buyback shit is just adding up and becoming annoying and with prices for transpo being what it is and especially shit wearing and leaking and bending without good reason, I have expectations that aren't being met. If we as consumers, don't have any expectations of quality and longevity and reliability or we never voice our disgust with where shit is headed, then we'll get progressively shittier crap for more and more money. I don't want that.

5. Jan 14, 2011 at 4:57 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    If Dana corp. settled with Toyota over the rusted frames, that would obviously imply that that one had nothing to do with Toyota and was all on Dana, while the issues with the 2005 frame engine brackets obviosly did, and they fixed it right away.

Cap'n Obvious

6. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:02 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    By right away you mean sometime on the 08s wasn't it? Guess that qualifies. When will they put 4 leafs on them like they should have to be used as a truck? Right away? Going on 7 model years now.

7. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:08 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Complaining to the choir doesn't get anything changed, and to be heard anywhere else you have to have a little data to support what you want.

TW is a very small population of avid enthusiasts...the market for Tacoma's is far huger than that. You have to reach out and see how many real problems people who never get under their truck are having, not just the frame polishers.

8. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:09 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I have 07 that was manufactured in 06 and mounts are plated already.
    Otherwise I agree rust crap is annoying and its stupid to have it so many years after the 1gen had a problem. But 4runners have a problem, Sequoia's have a problem, even LC's have more rust then old ones had so to me sounds like there is some Toyota fault in there.
    By looking at my frame, its obvious there is not enough paint on it. there is not enough paint on the cab either, not enough paint on rear diff and no paint on front diff.
    Somebody skimped on amount of paint. :mad:

9. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:11 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Believe me Toyota knows there is a problem, Service techs already filled out form for rusting. I have my case with Toyota as well. Although since I painted my frame I doubt I will have a problem ever.

10. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Logic would suggest they don't always know they have a problem until they see it manifest itself repeatedly, so 'right away' when pertaining to the manufacturing process of automobiles seems to fit.

Whining about the 4 leafs when the vast majority of Tacoma owners seem to prefer the 'softer' ride has been delt with repeatedly on this forum. It is also fair to assume that were Toyota being called to task on more rear spring replacements, (in relation to the number of trucks they sell) they would have changed them to 4 leafs for all, in as much they are in business to, you know, make money.

Outside of this and a few other forums, i suspect few are even aware of this 'problem'. Hell, many on here admittedly do not have an issue, but are going for it for cosmetic reasons, or just becuse they are aware that they can probably get it with enough bitching within the warranty period.

Sounds like you need a hug, big guy...

11. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:28 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Not small minded enough to believe that bitchin about problems that Toyotas shouldn't be having on a forum would change a thing, nor do I believe with all the stats from all the dealerships on warranty repairs and buybacks and future sales potential resulting from them would change a thing Toyota has in mind either. It's just a rant and move on thing. Not good to carry around shit like that and never voice it. You just keep going, make the best of shit & adapt to new shit while hoping for better things....comprendo?

12. Jan 14, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Oh I hear ya...but the tone of these things can change quickly as some people must think Toyota haunts these forums for product improvement ideas and will somehow be swayed by the passion alone (or level of abuse) in their pleas.

And frankly, I've been making the best of shit since...ever...and find it annoying that some people are just too f'n lazy to do the same when something's not perfectly to their individual liking.

13. Jan 14, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    FYI:
    For anybody who wants to test factory paint job on the frame or his own paint job there is easy way of doing it.
    1 Buy Voltage multimeter
    [​IMG]
    2. Set to Ohm then attach one end to ground place on the frame the other end attach to quarter [​IMG]
    3. Wet small area o n the frame and slide quarter over the area. If you see any number of Ohms then infinity this area needs repainting because paint is too thin.
    4 highlight those areas with Sharpe marker and next time paint the crap out of those spots.

Why do I feel like NASA engineer :D

14. Jan 14, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    First, let me say i love my Taco, but...

I owned my 99 Durango for ten years and the frame didn't rust.

The steel cross members my 06 Camry with 108k miles still look new.

My taco on the other hand, which is pampered more than both of the above vehicles is already showing rust on the frame (not rust through).

15. Jan 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Detroit F*ING FAIL!

16. Jan 17, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    Because the rest of the ford already fell apart before anyone could notice the frame was rusty:D

Products Discussed in

To Top