1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Problems with metra kit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bendbolden, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jan 28, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    bendbolden

bendbolden [OP] Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I just installed a single din HU last night with the metra kit and I have two problems. First let me say I didn't have time to take it all back out and see if I could fix them. Firstly the hazard button seems to be binded up or sticking when I push it in and secondly I was just wondering if you guys use the faceplate trim piece that comes with the kit or the one that comes with the HU. Mine has a gap around it that I don't care for. From using the search box I found that everyone seems to like the scosche better but for now I'd like to make this one work.

2. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:00 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have had my metra kit/single din in for a year no issues.
    I modified it to use with my oem metal brackets & the metra faceplate.
    no problems with haz button.
    I do remember there being a 1/4 space b/w deck & little cubby.
    Honestly do not even see it anymore. Just get in & drive turn on deck good to go. Here is a bump for more responses.
    g/l

3. Jan 28, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    jtice

jtice Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Pioneer P4100DVD, 10" Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
    I have a Pioneer P4100DVD head and used the trim with the metra, seemed to fit pretty nice.
    Yes the hazzard button will bind some, loosen the screws and push the hazzard/clock assembly over some to make it clear better, then tighten the screws back down, but dont tighten them alot, just enough to hold it in place well.

Otherwise, no issues here, I was impressed how well my "black" one matched the dark grey of the stock parts on the dash.

~John

4. Jan 28, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    My hazzard still binds, Im too lazy to take it back out and shift it over. I just tap it to come back out. PS... I dont think I used the faceplate. I will snap a pic if u like.

IMG_20110128_110747.jpg

5. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Huh? I guess I was lucky because I didn’t have a problem with the Hazard button. But it sounds like from above posts that’ll be an easy fix.

I used my HU’s faceplate trim… but I went at the installation a little bit different. I slipped the HU into the sleeve, attached the faceplate trim to the HU and then slipped this assembly into the Metra single din fixture. At that point I eyeballed the fitment & made some mental notes as to where the sleeve needed to be mounted. I disassembled everything then permanently attached the sleeve to the Metra kit*. Once that was done I attached the faceplate trim to the HU then slipped the HU into the sleeve. Fit perfect. Then I attached the Metra single din w/HU onto the Metra dash assembly. I hope this makes sense…?

*Note: I had a piece of material that’s best described has a rubbery plastic that was just thick enough to fit between the HU sleeve and the storage pocket to help support the weight of the HU once installed. I held the material in place with a dab of silicone adhesive. Just adds a little extra support.

BTW, my HU is an Alpine CDA-117. I have a couple of pic’s in my gallery but with everything being black and then the shadowing it’s hard to tell how it all fits together. Good luck!

6. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    Thanks for the info. I'm sure I will get it all figured out. I just wish the kit would somehow use the factory mounting brackets instead of these flimsy plastic ones.

7. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Yeah, that's why I inserted the rubbery plastic material for extra support. Simon's Mom & some others here on TW modded thiers so they could use the factory metal brackets...

8. Jan 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM
    the arkitect

the arkitect I will gladly pay you on Tuesday...

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    I used the trim piece that can with my head unit and it fits perfectly. I had the same problem with my hazard button. All you have to do is take the plastic cover off and shave a tiny bit of plastic off of the punch out for the button. They cant get it perfect everytime when they punch out those holes before they form the plastic. Should take you all of 5 minutes to fix it.

9. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.

i know, but once its in they hold really well.

10. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I don't think it needs to be trimmed. I failed to mention that when the cover piece is not locked in the button pushes fine. it's after I press it in that it binds up. I may have to reposition the HU bracket so it isn't binding.

11. Jan 28, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    I used the Schoche kit and it lined up and bolted up perfect. The time display unit was a little hard to get out of my stock unit, but after that it was easy and bolted right up.

686a3eba_eec5f81e3d960d97ff60a7bdd9fa11240303c882.jpg
    184ae366_0aee83373cf92d730c86ca1bb3975e2ec94e6d56.jpg

12. Jan 28, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    i have the metra and it fits perfectly, no complaints. I've also had the scosch kit and I have to say it doesn't fit nearly as well as the metra

13. Jan 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    bendbolden

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    I hate to start a new thread so i'll hijack this one and hope to get an answer/link. Can anyone provide opinions or point me to a link show how to set the gain on my amp. I've been reading about how using an oscilloscope is a waste of time but have also read it's the only way to go. I can make mine sound good but I just want some concrete information on the matter. Thanks

14. Jan 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    You turn it up so that you hear distortion above 75-80% of your volume knob. All it does is determine how much output you get per amount of volume knob turned. The only exception is if you have it too low and max volume wont allow access to the maxoutput of your amp. If you set it too high you may not be able to go above 50% volume before you hit distortion. Some of this is also taste... some people like their preffered volume to be lower so it takes less presses to get up to that level. Others want max output without distortion at 100% volume on the head unit.

Products Discussed in

To Top