1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Previous/Current Mazda Owner???

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by tacoholic, Mar 18, 2009.

?

...uuuuhhhhhhhh pick your favorite option about your Mazda?

1. I own a Mazda.

25.0%
  2. I owned a Mazda at one point.

33.3%
  3. I traded my Mazda for my Tacoma.

8.3%
  4. I traded my piece of shit Mazda for my Tacoma.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I hated my Mazda why are you asking me to remember it???

50.0%
  1. Mar 18, 2009 at 10:10 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    So I see a lot of you guys were Mazda owners or still have your Mazda so I'm getting curious...
    Why'd you buy a Mazda?
    Which Mazda?
    Did you/do you like it? Why?
    Did you hate it? Why?
    Why'd you get rid of it?
    What kinda problems you ever have with it?
    Mods on it?
    Anything else would be cool to hear!
    Pics are totally welcome! (of the Mazda)

Being a Mazda owner who wanted a Taco in the first place and currently is hating on their own Mazda3, was your Taco a replacement for the Mazda?
    Was it a second new car along side the Mazda?
    Other stuff is useful and fun...

2. Mar 18, 2009 at 11:17 PM
    08joke&ahalf

08joke&ahalf Member

Member:
    Bilstein 5100's some bfg muds and a ton of other mods
    I bought a mazda speed 6 and hate it has been nothing but problems from day one i have never had a problem with my taco at all the mazda's turbo went out on me at like 30,000 the back bumper fell off and it has been in the shop more than any other vehicle i have owned

3. Mar 19, 2009 at 12:22 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    This was a long time ago....

93 Mazda Protege was my first new car. That thing was awesome!! I loved it!! I had it for 5 years and sold it to my father-in-law and that's when my 96 tacoma came into my life.

4. Mar 19, 2009 at 2:24 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    It's not mine, but my Pops has a 92 B2200. Little trucky has been purring like a kitten and has over 250,000kms on it. No problems with it what so ever. It's part of the reason I wanted a Tacoma.

5. Mar 19, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    tacoholic

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    I hear this story A LOT from people on the Mazda forums. Also that their Mazda3 (like mine) is always in the shop (also like mine) and there's constantly shit breaking and it sucks. Which is kinda bad to hear because the car isn't bad but if I knew it was a POS I would've gotten a Taco from the start but for now I'm stuck with this thing. Although I'm on the way to a Taco, it's still in my way.

To you guys with Mazdas that work...THAT'S FREAKIN' AMAZING! I haven't heard any "my Mazda is great" stories until I come on a forum about Tacomas! :eek:

6. Mar 19, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    tdm156

tdm156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    I had a 1989 Mazda B2200 SE5 regular cab. That was my first new truck that I got while a jr. in high school....it had air conditioning, 5 speed, bench seat.....there was no factory radio so I installed a pioneer pull-out super tuner III, dark window tint and yes even a tool box. I was stylin!

7. Mar 19, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    My first brand new vehicle was a 1988 B2200. It was stripped so I put a stereo in it and drove the piss out it. Never had a problem. My daughter really wants a Mazda 3 bad. Maybe she needs to do some more research.

8. Mar 19, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    08joke&ahalf

08joke&ahalf Member

Member:
    Bilstein 5100's some bfg muds and a ton of other mods
    Yeah i bought my mazda after my tacoma and glad that i didn't trade it in on the pile of shit mazda i got the car for my ex and then she decided that she couldn't pay for it so i got stuck with the damn thing and it has been nothing but problems. I am thinking of getting rid of it and getting an infiniti g37 but i will have to wait and see if i can even trade the thing in.

9. Mar 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    tacoholic

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    That actually sounds like it was pretty fun! I don't like Mazda trucks one bit but then again it is a Ford Ranger....
    Finally after like the whole length of owning my car somebody comes onto the Mazda forum who also lives quite close to me! And had a few stories to share...
    2006 Mazda3 hit 120,000 miles and died...could be resurrected at all. Dead.
    2005 Mazda3 60,000 miles needs a new clutch and brakes/rotors all around with a "laundry list" of other problems to boot.
    (person who sent me PM) 2007 Mazda3, 4 months in needed a whole new sunroof...asked why but no response yet. It's also in there about once a month to fix shit.
    Then we get to mine...ahhh, what crap it is. (don't let your kid get a Mazda3!!!)

If I had known this stuff 9 months ago, I would totally be driving a Tacoma right now!
    That would sucked like no tomorrow! Or like I'm sure she did. ;)
    I would sell it like ASAP before people actually find out that there are 2010 Mazda3 sedans and hatches in showrooms now.
    Check KBB and dump it on somebody! Besides that, you'll get boatloads more money private selling than trading in.

10. Jan 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    BeardedTaco

BeardedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Banks Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N Drop In Filter
    [​IMG]

I owned a few mazda's in my time.

I spent about 10 years building my 1993 RX-7 R1 FD3S project above. It was more of a passion because for those of you who know Turbo Rotary engines aren't very reliable.

On the other hand in I also bought a Mazda MPV (see below) which was a great car and had no issues. Owned it for about 2 years because it was needed at the time.

[​IMG]

My favorite car was my 1980 Mazda RX-7 :) I loved the feel of no power steering and the rotary engine combination. Great handling and fun to drive. Car was 25 years old and would go to over 8k RPM :eek:

I have a soft spot for Mazda. The banner still hangs in my garage :(

11. Jan 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    Kevlar1267

Kevlar1267 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7
    Magnaflow exhaust,K & N filter,Bilstein Shocks
    My first Mazda was a 1990 B2600i 2wd. Bought it new it was a nice truck. A great motor improvement over the B2200. I owned that one for a few years and got my first Toyota Pickup a 1992 4wd. My first toyota turned out to be a lemon. I brought it back to the dealer to fix stuff on it at least 6-8 times in a 1 year period. Then got a 1997 Tacoma 4x4 I wish I never should of traded in on a 2001 B3000 4x4. I didnt like the truck, all Ford under the hood. Ended up trading that for what I have now. 2002 Tacoma SR5 4x4

12. Jan 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Why'd you buy a Mazda? Reliability, cost, and fuel efficiency.
    Which Mazda? 2006 Mazda 3i
    Did you/do you like it? Why? Yes. Comfortable, looked good IMO, and 32mpg.
    Did you hate it? Why? Not really.
    Why'd you get rid of it? Wife has it.
    What kinda problems you ever have with it? Car idles a little hard. Mazda wanted me to change out entire fuel system at 26k miles. Never changed it. 89k miles and A/C is acting up.
    Mods on it? No.

13. Jan 12, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i had one. got rid of it for the tacoma. bought it new and sold it 9 months later.

Why'd you buy a Mazda? thought i wanted a little hotrod.
    Which Mazda? mazdaspeed 3
    Did you/do you like it? Why? loved it. it was fast, handled great. cheap!
    Did you hate it? Why? i loved it.
    Why'd you get rid of it? i also love bowhunting. and the outdoors in general. taking wife's forester out was getting problematic.
    What kinda problems you ever have with it? gas cap would get stuck on. shitty fuel mileage on premium gas. didnt keep it long enough for real probs.
    Mods on it? none
    Anything else would be cool to hear! got pulled over twice,and ticketed once.

14. Jan 12, 2011 at 1:03 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Still got my 03...............

[​IMG]

Why'd you buy a Mazda? It was made in Japan, not over here
    Which Mazda? Protege 5
    Did you/do you like it? Why? Yes. Cuz it's like a little gokart, has a throttle cable, handles great, paid for, hauls my shit
    Did you hate it? Why? no
    Why'd you get rid of it? didn't
    What kinda problems you ever have with it? none to speak of, certainly less than with the Tacoma
    Mods on it? tons
    Anything else would be cool to hear! It was made in Japan, not over here

15. Jan 12, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    i had an 84 mazda pickup for a cpl yrs was small and boxey but it ran ok. traded it for a 87 mazda b2000 pick up. had that thing from brand new for approx 13 -15 yrs. never an issue with it other than routine maintenence , that wa sprolbably the best vehicle i had to date. taco is still too new to rate....i had a 2003 mazda b3000 duel sport that i traded in january of 2010 for my taco. i loved that truck too although one of the belt pulleys went bad on it, it only liked certain gasolines. it only had 37700 on it when i got rid of it. if ya go to my gallery i think i got a pic of it there. what ya wont see is the bed rug the racin pedals,shiftknob , the gauge faces i put in which turned the lights behind them blue . also changed the face on the ac/heat controls and painted the knob controls to match it. damn it ya made me want that truck back now.

16. Jan 29, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Why'd you buy a Mazda? Poor resale value >> affordable to me as a first car.
    Which Mazda? 1999 Millenia S
    Did you/do you like it? Why? Timeless looks. Good power. Supercharger whine. Relatively reliable.
    Did you hate it? Why?
    Engine bay is a complicated rat's nest of vacuum lines and solenoid valves, impossible to work on. (3 hours to reach spark plugs...) Expensive OEM parts. Pathetic aftermarket parts support. Some problems that are easy to fix on other cars become expensive on the Millenia.
    Why'd you get rid of it?
    See above. Several parts reached end-of-life at the same time, exceeded value of car.
    What kinda problems you ever have with it?
    Cats ($1400 parts replaced under emissions warranty), cam cover leak (resealed under powertrain warranty), ABS/TC (never fixed), ignition coils ($300 for each coil + $300 labor to access them).
    Mods on it? Mods? For a Millenia? :rofl:

IMG_0836s%2Bmilly_6b3490dda045a378f5a0f15dde3fb9e1cc6652e2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  17. Jan 29, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    moulin6801

moulin6801 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I sold my great looking red Mazda 3 Grand touring, leather and all for the Tacoma.
    Really like the Mazda, but wanted a truck.
    No regrets.
    Cheers!

18. Jan 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    this thread is old but I just bought a 2010 mazda 3 for a few reasons. Gas... I was getting 16 with the SUV that I had. I was commuting down to campus so I needed something smaller that got better gas mileage. 0%financing for 5 years plus lifetime free oil changes. Gave me a great deal on trade in and well below invoice on the new car. Been happy with it thus far. Only thing I miss is 4 wheel drive and the extra space but that is why I am saving up for a pre-taco. No mods so far. Plan on keeping it stock. Will be tinting it soon though.

Products Discussed in

To Top