1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang (soft) Tri Fold Tonneau Install PICS (and quick review)

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by acozzens, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    acozzens

acozzens [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    I have a set of 23 walkthru pictures to help people shopping for or installing Tonneau Covers. I realize it's an oldy-but goody topic at TWorld but never wrong to have more helpful pics. The pics are from my 2006 taco 4d 5' bed.

In particular, I chose the Extang Tri Fold that I got right here thru this site's links. After about a year of ownership, I really love this tonneau. Rain / water in the bed is NOT a problem. I manually wash the truck, so not sure about car wash drive thru's. Install was pretty easy, and I love the folding action.

This tonneau solved many problems for me. The ONLY thing I would think about again is getting something that is not so razorblade ready for theft. But I think if someone wants your stuff, they can steal it hard top or soft. Basically, I think tonneau covers should be purchased based on your specific needs and situation which of course, vary from owner to owner :)

I didn't have a scan gauge before installing the Tonneau, so I can't speak to the great question of gas mileage. You'll have to watch the Mythbusters gas mileage episode and decide for yourself. For me, MPG was secondary. Part of this purchase was so I could at least get my golf clubs ( or other random items ) out of obvious sight. I hated shoving my wet clubs INSIDE my cab after a round of golf for clubhouse beers. With the tonneau, I can easily store all my equipment under the Extang safely go visit the 19th hole without having my cab smell like a football locker room.

Full Set of 23 images ( w/ light descriptions ) at Flicker

a few teaser pics:

[​IMG]
    Truck Tonneau Extang Trifold Install and Pics 21 by BooyaGadget, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    Truck Tonneau Extang Trifold Install and Pics 4 by BooyaGadget, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    Truck Tonneau Extang Trifold Install and Pics 17 by BooyaGadget, on Flickr
    Full Set of 23 images ( w/ light descriptions ) at Flicker

2. Feb 2, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    how long was the install?

great pics you posted

3. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    acozzens

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock

thx tcBob..

Ehh, install was a couple hours while snapping pics and reading the manual.

i also forgot to mention I did get a free "tonneau tonic" with my order, and I did apply it. I'm a believer in the product ( or similar ). Ballpark similar to putting rainex on a windshield. But for a product like this it helps with rain/dirt etc. wipes off clean and still looks pretty much brand new after a year. A major note to that is that I have, and park inside a garage. 98% of the time, even at work.

AC

4. Feb 13, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    gran torino

gran torino Mr Jackboots

Member:
    Vehicle:
    [IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/x
    Extang trifecta,Pro Comp LK5055 lift,aFe intake,MBRP Exhaust, Piia Extreme white H4 Bulbs,Bushwacker flares.Sprint Booster.
    TWO HOURS.....what did you do have a beer between each step :)

Mine was on in 15 minutes.

I like mine alot, easy on and off when necessary.

5. Feb 13, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    acozzens

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver

Yes..
    And every project I do I tend to snap a lot of photos etc, so that I can share with the wonderful taco family.

:) I'm never in too much of a rush...

6. Nov 5, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    KUTIE0721

KUTIE0721 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noemi
    ARLETA,CA
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner TRD Sport
    none yet
    i'm thinking of purchasing a tonneau cover any suggetion on the retrax pro tonneau cover

7. Nov 5, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Same for me 20 minutes tops

Products Discussed in

To Top