1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reminder...Check those filters!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Chris(NJ), Feb 3, 2011.

1. Feb 3, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Holy crap! I've had the truck for 12 or 13k miles now and until this point, haven't checked the filters. Since the dealer stated they changed them prior to reselling, I wasnt too concerned. My own fault obviously...especially considering it takes about 1 minute each to check. Actually, the air filter wasn't horrible, but the cabin filter...that's another story :eek: Maybe that's why my fan speeds weren't particularly as strong as I thought they should be.

Also, Pep Boys wanted 31 bux for the cabin filter! :eek: I ran across the street to Home Depot, bought a house filter, cut it to size and stuffed it in there. half the price and probably a better filter.

IMG_20110203_132702_9cd8005c70e9989eb140ad3a8ea75a50007d30dc.jpg

2. Feb 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
  3. Feb 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    It's so easy to forget about that filter but it is indeed something that should be watched closely especially if u trail run almost every weekend. I got back from a meet and got a check engine a day later. Worried as fuck I went into Aamco for a scan and they wanted 100-some-odd bucks to inspect the cat after the scan told them the prob was from around the cat or exhaust. I went home, pulled out the air filter hoping that the cat was simply choking a little from the lack of air. I cleaned it out with the K&N oil/cleaning liuids (10 bucks for the kit and my filter is aftermarket), ran it the next day and light went out.

Point of story, I checked the engine air filter, cleaned it and got rid of check engine light for $10 bucks. Check that filter!

4. Feb 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    I was actually thinking about picking up some of those $4 filters from logical source. I'm still not sure if 50 bux is worth it for a reusable K&N or AFE, etc.

Yep! I'm making it a point to check/clean/replace them w/ every oil change from now on!

5. Feb 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Yeah, I let my cabin filter go too long once (a few months throughout the summer...firewood cutting, months of no visibility due to forest fires, etc). And that was in the day when I went the route of cutting filters up. Too expensive, which is why I went the washable filter route (link in my sig). Here's what mine once looked like:
    [​IMG]

6. Feb 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive

My aFe cost $32, and that's a lifetime filter.

7. Feb 3, 2011 at 4:04 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The cabin filters get dirty pretty quick - atleast mine does. I've changed mine about every 10K (or less) miles so far. I have two cabin filters. One of them is in the truck while the other one has been cleaned and ready for the next change (I clean mine). After about 2 washes, the paper starts getting flimsy and they're ready to be tossed.

I wish someone actually made a 'washable' cabin air filter - that would withstand multiple washings!

8. Feb 3, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I don't understand the need for a cabin air filter?
    You are breathing in dust when you drive with your windows open
    you are breathing in toxic fumes the plastic dashboard gives off
    my Uncle Larry wears adult diapers and when he soils himself while riding in my truck, I can smell it and it waters my eyes and I have to ride around with my head sticking out the window.
    just remove the cabin air filter and don't replace it!

9. Feb 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    I live in a highly toxic area of the country, coal power plants that give off high levels of mercury, rocket fuel in our drinking water, I figure I am poisoned enough already, and a cabin air filter won't make any difference, plus i'm cheap, don't like feeling the need to buy a new cabin air filter.

10. Feb 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Hey Jandy, you didn't look at my sig link, did you? Made to be washed and we've used them for years (in the house). I've had this one in my truck for over a year and a half. It'll last forever. I hose it out every couple of months when I wash the truck and set it in the sun. By the time I've finished the truck, it's dry and can be put back in (well, I tend to skip cleaning it in the winter since it won't dry too well in the below-freezing temps).

The heck with dust! Are you going to drop your fan unit every couple of months to vacuum out all the leaves and crap that gets in there? How about when the leaves and lint pass the van and get caked up on your heater? It'll be a very time consuming job to clean it out.

11. Feb 3, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
  12. Feb 3, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Yep, those are the ones I'm referring to. Gonna order a bunch for the next oil change.

I agree. A K&N style filter would be great!

Its been about 29 degrees on average here for the past 7+ weeks. I dont drive w/ the windows open nowadays, lol. During the summer, yes...and I see your point!

Your dash does give off some gasses. That is what the film you see on the windshield is from. I actually have an article saved on the computer somewhere explaining it. I doubt its harmful to us, but yes, the dash does outgas for a looong time :mad:
    But I agree... its so easy, there is no reason not to change it!

13. Feb 3, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    The biggest reason for your cabin air filter is to help keep your evaporator and heater cores clean. Without that filter it wouldn't be long and you'd notice a drop in air volume. Plus is when in recirculation mode it filters your cabin air. Without that filter you have direct access to the outside, allowing mice, bugs, and other unwanted things inside your cabin.

14. Feb 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I saw it and Thank You! Neat writeup! I guess I just don't have the motivation to make something from scratch. God forbid, there's a million things around the house I should be working on.... Maybe someday I'll get around tuit. ;)

15. Feb 3, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    ycart1201

ycart1201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4 - My build is underway
    Current Project: 2016 DC TRD Sport 4x4
    Cheap prices but 9 days later and i still havent seen a thing... :confused: shipping is not very "expidited" if you ask me. If something shows up soon I guess I'll be happy cause the price was right.

Anybody else order from them? If so, how long did it take for you to get your order?

16. Feb 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    ycart1201

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No worries. I found the link on this site from other members and tons of them chimed in that they have ordered from that company before... So im sure it's fine... just frusterated that I havent seen anything yet. Im sure they will arrive soon. :cool:

Nathan
    ycart1201

17. Feb 3, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    delscorcho

delscorcho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SR5, Black Sand Pearl
    I actually ordered from them this past Sunday and got them yesterday (Wed).

18. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    ycart1201

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I wanted to update my posts in this thread.

After waiting 9 days, I emailed the company. I got an email back from them the same night. they could not tell what happened to my package via the tracking number so they said they were shipping out a replacement the next day... and sure enough, the next day I got another email from them with a tracking number. 3 days later (this includes the weekend) my package showed up.

Im super happy with their email communications, willingness to fix the problem, and excellent packing material used so my filters werent damaged in shipping.

I will definately buy from them again.

Nathan
    ycart1201

19. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:03 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i got mine in yesterday

20. Feb 8, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    ycart1201

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Oregon
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in