1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sticking Parking Break

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 757southpaw, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Jan 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    757southpaw

757southpaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    07' DC LB TRD Sport 4x4
    BAK BakFlip Tonneau cover, 30% front tinted windows, AVS vent shades, Black Billet Grill,Pop& Lock, secondary air filter removed, Goodyear Duratrac's, Billies @ 2.5" on front, Billies on back w/ 1.5" AAL, Toytec Diff drop, NOKYA Hyper Yellow fog light bulbs, LaminX Weathertechs, Rear diff breather mod, BHLM
    FWIW I live in VA and it has goten below freezing every night for the past few weeks. The highest it's been has been around 40 during the day. Hasn't been snow on the roads for two weeks now!

I spoke with with a local garage and inquired about greasing the cable as one suggested and he mentioned that the cable was enclosed :confused:. He also mentioned that I shouldn't use the parking brake during freezing weather as a rule of thumb :notsure:.

So I'll not use it for a few days to see if the myth will be busted :rolleyes:.

2. Jan 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I think someone else asked, but is it getting wet? Mine will lock up after I wash it sometimes, cause water gets in the drum and it rusts a little. Specially if I move it just a little after washing then put the break on, I have to pump the brakes a few times to get it to break free. But I don't have any issue day to day, just after I wash I guess cause I'm hosing out the wheel wells and alot of water hits them. Maybe for some reason your getting alot of water in the drums during a drive. Not sure how you would resolve that though.

3. Jan 13, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    when parking on a hill to avoid the weight of your truck resting on the transmission and an easy shift out of P i
    first shift to N with foot on break
    second pull e break parking break (whatever you call it)
    third take foot off of break
    the truck will then move an inch or so and rest on the rear breaks.
    fourth put it in park or 1st gear.

I have been doing this for years and for me its just a lot more comforting that when i shift out of P it doesn't sound like a hard shift under there.

4. Jan 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Jesse, sounds like a workable solution, I'm just glad you chimed in because I didn't think I was the only one who has experienced this issue and how to avoid gripping the drive train and rear brakes. It appears that there may be some who have never, never ever had this happen to them. Once again good solution.

5. Jan 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    757southpaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    07' DC LB TRD Sport 4x4
    BAK BakFlip Tonneau cover, 30% front tinted windows, AVS vent shades, Black Billet Grill,Pop& Lock, secondary air filter removed, Goodyear Duratrac's, Billies @ 2.5" on front, Billies on back w/ 1.5" AAL, Toytec Diff drop, NOKYA Hyper Yellow fog light bulbs, LaminX Weathertechs, Rear diff breather mod, BHLM
    Hasn't been water on the ground for about 5 days now nor have I washed her :eek:

6. Jan 14, 2011 at 3:38 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Hmmm, Maybe water can't get out? Maybe some got in there and can't drain. I think I would pull the drums to check it out.

7. Jan 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Yea it works well for me, i have been using this method for 10 years now. There has to be less wear and tear on the paring gear.

8. Jan 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    this happened on my last truck.
    the cable itself is probably getting corroded or gunky.
    so when you release the parking/emergency brake
    the springs underneath the truck no longer have
    the strength to pull the cable fully back.
    ex.- do you find yourself trying to push the lever
    all the way back in to get the light off??

1. try lubricating the cable itself. if this works you will be good to go.

2. if not , you may have to replace the cable assembly with a new one.

I had to do number 2 after number 1 started to not work anymore.

9. Jan 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    My parking spot at work is on about a 30 degree incline and this is exactly how I do it. Did it in my mustang with the handbrake, do it now with the footbrake. Instead of a heavy thunk when it shifts into gear, there is nothing but a nice smooth start. It's got to be easier on the truck.

10. Feb 3, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    757southpaw

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle:
    07' DC LB TRD Sport 4x4
    So I went a few weeks without applying the parking brake but I'm still experiencing the same symptoms as before. Today I decided after changing my rear diff fluid that I'd take a look at the rear break drums and low and behold it looks like a have a problem. Thinking I've got a leaking rear axle seal that's caused grease build up on the brake mechanism.
    [​IMG]

I saturated everthing clean with break part cleaner and put it back together and will check it in a couple weeks to see how bad the leak is and probably replace the seal at that point.

11. Feb 3, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    subbed
    I have a 6sp and need to use the PARKING brake in my driveway...and yes, every morning when I release it, it sticks.
    HAven't had the drum off like the OP, but curious.
    Mine releases when I let the clutch out in reverse.

12. Feb 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    yotakid98

yotakid98 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vriginia
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma.
    dick cepek rims,dayton timberline A/T 33x12.50 , 4in body lift. K&N air filter
    White litheim grease. mine was doing the same thing

13. Oct 26, 2016 at 12:19 PM
    Benzdriver81

Benzdriver81 Making it fool-proof will just make a better fool

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport
    Yup, I'm resurrecting a dead thread...I found this on Google, so I'm sure others have (and will in the future).

As mentioned, here's how you're supposed to do it [for automatics, at least]:
    Apply the brakes, shift into Neutral, set the parking brake, let off the brakes, then shift into Park.
    This ensures the weight of the vehicle is resting on the brakes, not the transmission, and I'll tell you why this is important:
    When I had a Mercedes 300SD, I had to park on a slight incline at my house everyday. I always put it in Park, and rested the weight of the car on the transmission....until it snapped. When putting it in Park, the shifter would engage a pin into the transmission that would physically prevent the transmission from rotating. So all that time it was in Park on an incline, the weight was resting on a single pin, and in my case, the pin had sheared in half. NEVER let the weight rest on the transmission!!!

Ok, now that I'm off of my soap box, here's my issue. My parking brake sticks as well. With my truck on flat ground and everything bone dry, I applied the Parking brake while I was in Neutral, then disengaged it while still in Neutral (didn't touch the brake pedal at all), then shifted in Drive, and the truck didn't move. Even while starting to accelerate, I can feel that the brakes were still engaged. I had to pump the brake pedal a few times before they fully released. I also noticed that the Parking brake pedal has a significant amount of play in the first few inches of engagement.

Is there a cable adjustment somewhere? My Pontiac Bonneville had the cable adjustments inside the rear hubs. Is that the case for the Tacomas as well? Or is there another adjustment point or "return spring" somewhere in the line that I should be looking for?

14. Oct 26, 2016 at 12:43 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The cable adjustment is under the center console.

Benzdriver81 and Mush Mouse like this.
  15. Oct 26, 2016 at 1:03 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    yes, and an easy check to see if the parking/emergency brake is adjusted properly there should be between 7-10 clicks heard when applying it. I have found out that if you are getting 10 or more clicks on the parking brake usually its because the rear brakes are out of adjustment after readjusting the clicks are in the 7-10 zone http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old...6toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/04300110.pdf

Benzdriver81 and Jimmyh[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Oct 26, 2016 at 1:05 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    that will do it

17. Oct 26, 2016 at 1:05 PM
    nh_yota

nh_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Portsmouth, NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC V6 TRD-OR 6-SPD
    2" Lift with HS coils/AAL and 5100s, TRD Exhaust, TRD Skid Plate, URD Short Shift, AT3s
    Doesn't matter if you have an auto or manual transmission, setting the parking brake works the same.

18. Oct 26, 2016 at 1:30 PM
    Benzdriver81

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport
    Thank you for the PDF. You are the man!

Mush Mouse[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Oct 26, 2016 at 5:19 PM
    crabslayer

crabslayer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Bend, Or
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tacoma SR5 DCLB
    No. Put your parking brake on before taking your foot off the brake. Not so good for the tranny to roll back before engaging your parking brake. That is why a lot of older automatics clunk when you put them in gear...

20. Oct 26, 2016 at 5:52 PM
    Benzdriver81

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB Sport
    Also, should I make the adjustment on the brakes before the cable adjustment, or other way around?

Products Discussed in

To Top