1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust Bullet: Do you think this would work

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chockie, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    chockie

chockie [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore of MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo Ink TRD Sport, PreRuner, DC, LB
    Bed mat, Hitch, Seat belt beep mod, ipod adapter, RBP steps, Bed Cleats Love 2 surf brackets for surf racks, Avid light bar, TRD Center Caps on Sport wheels, CST Black Leather.
    I'm thinking about using Rust Bullet or something close to it to prime and paint my Avid Light Bar instead of powder coating. If anyone has used it, how does it hold up on new metal? Thanks for any help.

2. Feb 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Its not the best on "new metal" for adhesion. BUT.. if you scuff it up real well, it will stick as well as powdercoat, with about the same drawbacks. But with rust bullet you'd have to make sure you use one that has UV resistance. the sliver stuff (at least) can't see sun.

I use it on a lot of stuff. Occasionally I'll have a problem with adhesion. Por-15 has that "tie coat" or something they sell that does help with adhesion, and it sands awesome.
    Its a nice hard surface that is very abrasive resistant though.

It claims to not fail due to rock dings etc, unlike powder coat normally reacts. I don't know.

Its very picky as to preparation. Make sure you use mek or whatever it wants for a cleaner, make sure you don't get it on you.. etc.

3. Feb 20, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    I love Dupli Color Self Etching Primer...

It's an olive color primer...Best spray primer Ive ever used

Protects from rust,and makes your top color adhere better

4. Feb 20, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    Protects from rust? It shouldn't if its an etch primer. I'm not familiar with duplicolor brand etch. But there's a bit kind of misconception out there that etch primer is for putting over flash rust. It's not. It works better than nothing, but treat your panel first with acid, don't trust an etch to do it for you. Duplicolor is probably pretty weak stuff, but most of the time you have to make sure your top coat and primer are etch primer compatible.
    Something like this is heavy for body components, but.. for a light bar or whatever we were talking about...
    http://www.amazon.com/After-Blast-Bare-Metal-Prep/dp/B003Q8EPTK

I use http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=557&BASE

Products Discussed in

To Top