1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone use a DA polisher on your Taco ?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by phoneguy44, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Feb 22, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    yeah, i have a makita 9227c that sees very little action because of the flexibility of the PC.

for deep defects and/or wetsanding mark removal, i have done just fine with my original issue PC. it really just depends on the pad and the product and of course, technique. there is something to be said for a rotary for power and speed, but i prefer the slower working time of the PC because it is less aggressive and with new cars and/or exotics, if you aren't measuring, you have to be VERY careful. the PC lends itself to that.

i also like how easy it is to finish polish with a PC with no holograms whatsoever.

re: the flex, can you use 4" pads with it? i researched it a while back and can't recall for sure, but i was under the impression you can not, and 4" pads are a HUUUUGE part of my arsenal.

2. Feb 22, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i got a dewalt buffer I use..works great, its just a bit heavy

3. Feb 22, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    what are holograms?

4. Feb 22, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    holograms are when a buffer leaves thousands of super fine circular scratches so close together that they actually leave a holographic effect that changes with the reflection and lighting. they are also called buffer trails. you have to be careful with a rotary because it's constantly spinning in one direction and if the polishing action isn't fine enough during your final polishing step you'll end up with the images in the paint. a dual action buffer resists instilling such defects because it polishes over itself constantly using different directions.

here is an image that shows the difference of how the two operate, albeit in a very simplified manner -
    PadMotion_cfe64f5f712c8e958321ea4ff4fdbcbd27353137.jpg

a common place to see buffer trails is on medium to dark cars that have come from a dealership, especially a used car that has gone through their high volume detail shop. many times they will use a wool pad on a rotary buffer and a product to remove big scratches and fill in tiny ones. the problem is, that product fills in the tiny scratches the wool pad leaves too, but only temporarily. after a few washes, the fine scratch pattern is revealved and it looks like holograms all over the finish.

5. Feb 24, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    phoneguy44

phoneguy44 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Oxford, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Double Cab
    Look at Tony go. I love pics and diagrams. Idiot proof.
    Thanks man.

6. Feb 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

Great post!