1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Light Racing UCA install ?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Fabulous, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Feb 23, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    Fabulous

Fabulous [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    The dremel blades I have are Kevlar reinforced and are pretty strong. I cut throughout a bolt trice as thick once using just one blade, so I'm hoping they do the trick...

2. Feb 23, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    do it

3. Feb 23, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    Valley Viking

Valley Viking Well-Known Member

Member:
    Menlo, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB SR5
    OME 885 Coils, OME Dakar Rear Leafs, OME NitroCharger Shocks, LR UCA's, AFE ProDry Air Filter, Scanguage, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    The bolts were part # 90105-A0095. They cost me $11.72 each. I thought it was well worth it!

Fab, I think the dremel will probably cut it alright but be careful with those cutting wheels! From my experience they cut great but if you get them in a bind they can fly into a million pieces at about 15,000 rpm's. Definately wear a face shield or at least glasses and something over your face. Better safe than sorry!

4. Feb 23, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Thanks for the part # Viking , I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow . :thumbsup:

5. Mar 1, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    oh wow I just saw this thread, I also installed the LR UCAs this past weekend. As for the bolts that hold the stock UCA in, I bent the sheet metal right above the bolt head out towards where the tire would be, for the left side I took out the battery completely, and just tapped the bolt out slowly. Bolt came right out with a few taps, didn't bend, and slid right back in. :)

6. Mar 2, 2011 at 2:55 AM
    Sprink669

Sprink669 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I installed mine this past weekend and I too just bent the sheet metal out of the way and tapped the bolt right out. It was no big deal, it only took me about 1.5 hrs for the install.

7. Mar 2, 2011 at 6:56 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Subbed

8. Mar 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    Valley Viking

Valley Viking Well-Known Member

Member:
    Menlo, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DC LB SR5
    OME 885 Coils, OME Dakar Rear Leafs, OME NitroCharger Shocks, LR UCA's, AFE ProDry Air Filter, Scanguage, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    I know on my truck the bolts seemed to line up dead center with the inner fender. On the drivers side I'm pretty sure I would of had to remove my battery assembly and maybe other items so that I could start bending the inner fender and it looked like I would have to bend it for almost the full length of the bolt. The bolts cost me a total of $24 but the install only took about 20 minutes per side (and if I had to do it again I could beat that). I think I saved more than $24 in frustration.

9. Mar 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    this is worth its weight in gold to get the spindle separated from the UCA....turn turn turn POP, shes apart. (just leave the nut loose on the spindle, cuz if not.....the UCA will meet your upper fender well, ask me how i know)

I bought new UCA bolts and didn't even need them, my old ones slid out just fine.

10. Mar 2, 2011 at 1:50 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

So nothing was in the way of your stock uca bolts?

11. Mar 2, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Nah, just bent back a little of the fender like everyone else. Took the rubber splash guards off to access everything better.

12. Mar 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Ya I hear ya on the splash guards, just yanked them off from the top, they tore so I poked new holes and zip tied. :D

13. Mar 12, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    Chazlom

Chazlom Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
    I'm just got my hands on a set of Light Racing UCA's, they didn't come with the castle nut, can I use the the the castle nut off of the stock ball joint?:confused:
    I'll need to source the 4 "spacers"-washers also, that looks like a easy find.

14. Mar 12, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    Chazlom

Chazlom Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4
  15. Feb 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    jjudd

jjudd Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 longbed sport pkg
    3inch front 2 inch rear lift using spacers in front and add a leaf in rear
    Anyone doing these arms I highly recommend buying the new bolt from toyota and installing backwards. It is very possible to get the bolt out by bending the fender with channel locks from the inside of the wheel well but takes time. took roughly 30 minutes per side to get the bolt out and back in for me, and that was frustrating. Its a royal pain in the butt. However installing the blot backwards with a new one you run the risk in the event the main nut backs off that your bolt could back out more likely then if the bolt is installed from the top. Probably worth the risk but i'm meticulous so I did it the same as it was before.

Gotta say I love these UCA's but the caster setting is still confusing me so I did it like the video and we will see what the alignment guys think and do to adjust from here. So far it seems like the tires are sitting more \ / then they were before so maybe I did the ball joint setting backwards. any ideas? furthermore anyone have a pic of how they have the SPC logo and the metal adjustment plate set? The camber makes sense but that little chart for caster is worthless:eek:

16. Feb 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    \ / is camber

The SPC logo should be facing out , away from the truck , for the neutral setting .

17. Feb 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    This is worth reading

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/su...earance-driving-report-light-racing-ucas.html

18. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    jjudd

jjudd Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 4x4 longbed sport pkg
    3inch front 2 inch rear lift using spacers in front and add a leaf in rear
    Thanks. Knew I'd mess something up in the write up. Swap caster with camber for all reading the above!

19. Apr 7, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    Shep6924

Shep6924 Active Member

Member:
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport Debadged
    Side steps/nerf bars, iPod interface! Bug/rock deflector (removed!), 3" bilstein coilover 5100 & add-a-leaf, 1" diff drop! 1.25" spidertrax spacers, Light racing UCAs
    I'm probably the only one with this question. When the UCAs ship eh have rubber caps on each opening...am I supposed to remove them befor install??? Envy picture I've seen has them without the caps, but when I pulled on them it seemed like they were one solid piece all the way through the hole...thoughts?

20. Apr 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    what?

Products Discussed in

To Top