1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RyanPont, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:48 AM
    oldranger821

oldranger821 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fort Walton Beach, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Quicksand SR5 V6
    I pick my I4 2011 Tacoma Speedway Blue with SR5 package up in about 7 days. Can hardly wait. I don't need the six. Don't own a boat to tow. Just want a nice ride with Good gas mileage.

2. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:51 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod

Congrats ..... keeping the rpms uner 2000 and those mpg will make you very happy. Enjoy.

3. Mar 11, 2011 at 4:02 AM
    oldranger821

oldranger821 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Fort Walton Beach, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Quicksand SR5 V6
    Thanks for the info Jimmy. Did so much research before this buy, my head hurts. My old Ford Ranger was going fast. I plan on driving this one till the wheels fall off. :D

4. Mar 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I've got a '10 AC 2WD AT ....... a bit over 28 mpg on the highway at 65 and about 22 around town.

As a daily driver and a weekender to The Home Depot or a load of mulch/hay bails it will serve you well. A good ride, the SR5 package adds the nicer things in life and it looks good.

5. Mar 11, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    x2...IMHO all good points.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either truck as long as they pass a check out by YOUR TRUSTWORTHY MECHANIC!

Additionally (also IMHO) a CARFAX report is a worthwhile investment to verify you're being told the truth on the truck's history.

I find my 2007 4cyl/5spd/4x4 Access Cab suits my needs very well and is a reliable and capable combination; to include towing my ATV trailer and cargo trailer up to the neighborhood of 2,500 to 3,000 lbs.

Also with regards to Reg Cab vs. Access Cab, I really appreciate/use that space behind the seats. Seldom for people, but handy for stuff and my navigator "Bear" (see avatar) likes the space to move around some.

That's my 2 cents FWIW....welcome to TW....and don't worry about the 4cyl vs. 6cyl thing....doesn't take much to get opinions flowing around here; but for the most part it's a good group of folks with a wealth of info to share.

Oh yeah, in the immortal words of Chris4x4 "DO NOT LISTEN TO BARTSTAR! EVER!"

6. Mar 12, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    RyanPont

RyanPont [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The 09 My friend showed me the car fax too, and it was one owner, and it looked like he or her brought it in for every schedualed maitenance. My friends work who is getting the dealer to "wholesale" it to them, then in turn giving me the price they paid for it, no marks ups, no gimmecks, nothing of what you would get at a big dealer. I go to look at it today, there going to put it on the lift and check it out, and let me look and drive it.

The 05 is a different story. Looked at it yesterday. I made an appt to test drive a few days before yesterday. Thursday they called to confirm. Firday I drive an hour and a half to go look. SOLD!! So I took work off, went through the trouble. So my gf and I left, she had work off too. So we made a day of it in the area, Bass Pro, Nice lunch. During lunch I get a call. The salesman saying they can get it back because the other people couldnt get approved so they say. So I went back to put a refudable deposit so I could drive and See the vehicle. In the meantime we went back in forth with my trade and what they wanted to give me, and basically what It came down too is they are paying off what I owe on my trade which is way less than what I owe. What it all comes down too is if I accepted the deal id be paying 27 more a month for 60 months. Today Im going to drive it then ask for my deposit back. I swore what we talked about and what they wrote down were two different things.

7. Mar 12, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    Taco.Tim

Taco.Tim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Buhlue Access Cab 2WD
    Looking!
    "Second Truck
    2009 Base Model, But has power windows and locks. 4cyl 39k $18,000"

Just curious if you are referring to regular cab or access cab. If regular cab, I found new ones for that price. If you mean access cab, well, it still seems a bit high, but that's good news for my 2010 AC Auto I4 that we bought new for 22,500 with almost all the goodies we could stuff in it. Only problem it has given is the right side power window does not work, and like others, it averages 22mpg around town. Sorry about your experience with the 05 model. I don't like to get jerked around by salespeople, especially if their lips are moving. I lucked out with our salesperson. She was honest, direct, and very helpful.

Tim

8. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:38 AM
    RyanPont

Member:
    An access cab, it has power windows and locks

9. Mar 12, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    mattygabe

mattygabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
    Yeah, that's the tough part. It's difficult to realize whenever they make an offer you might accept in the future, to get it in writing, but whenever that happens that's always the easiest way to deal with it. You got the whole refundable deposit bit in writing too, right?

Years ago, while I was still a small child, my father put a $100 deposit down at a dealership so they could hold the vehicle for him for a day, so he could see about another vehicle, with all intentions that it wasn't tied to which vehicle he bought, but just for one day. They never gave him his refund back, so he ended up taking them to small claims court to get it back - they never showed up so they ended up re-paying the $100 plus whatever the court costs were (which I imagine were four or five times the deposit amount).

Regardless, anything like that you should get in writing. Hope it works out for you - sounds like the 09 will be a steal for you if it checks out. I'm guessing it has the convenience package - is the bumper and front fender wells the black plastic?

Good luck!

Edit: Crap, didn't realize you said they put it in writing and THAT's what's different. Bummer.. Tough spot.

10. Mar 12, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    OP .... this is the SR5 package on my '10 .....

[​IMG]

11. Mar 12, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    RyanPont

Member:
    I had the refundable deposit in writting,they honored it, but they said they had to send me a check back. They tried taking a thousand off or giving me more trade value, but I'm done dealing with them. I hope. THe manager was pissed. But it wasn't for me.

12. Mar 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    There are more advantages of a 4 cyl that go beyond a few more MPG .

MAINTENANCE is cheaper in the long run. Engines are less expensive to replace.

13. Mar 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    Tacoma206

Tacoma206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2010 Super White 4WD
    Ryan, are you considering 4x4 at all?

14. Mar 12, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    focotacoma

focotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue 4x4 TRD off-road
    Im getting there......
    look around more i bought mine new from lot..... but many of my friends with 2nd gen tacos have gotten much better deals like $16000 for an 05-06 TRD Sport DCLB with 50,000 miles....

a much better car than base imho for the money

15. Mar 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Sigi

Sigi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sigi
    Sfv ca
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4x4 trd offroad

:duel:

16. Mar 12, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    IMO the 2005 seems like a good deal. More options, alot less price, and more or less the same truck. Its all about the details though. You have to REALLY test them and and get the checked out good. Not by just a mechanic, but a guy you trust.
    100k on a tacoma beat to the ground <<<< 200k on a tacoma drove soft.
    But like someone said, unless your going V6, the cheaper will do the trick. 79 k isnt much at all either
    GOOD LUCK!

17. Mar 12, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    The Shape

The Shape Well-Known Member

Member:
    Forrest City, AR
    Vehicle:
    '09 Access Cab A/T 4banger
    I have a '09 I4 access cab with the SR5. It is the perfect truck for what I use it for. I don't do any offroading or pull a boat, just haul stuff for working around the house and camping gear in the summer. Couldn't be happier with it.

18. Mar 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    maxpower29

maxpower29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 2.7 5 speed SWB
    All season mats, 2nd filter delete, DT header, Jardine cat-back, URD shifter, Bilstein 5100's all around at .85 front with Eibachs + .25 passenger/.5 drivers spacers and 1.5 AAL, 0w20 synthetic, Scanguage II, extra D rings, OEM backup camera+Mirror, bed mat, Extang Solid Fold, Popnlock 5300, Pro Comp 7089's 4.5bs 285/70/17 Revo 2s, De-badged
    auto or 5 speed?

19. Mar 12, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    The Shape

The Shape Well-Known Member

Member:
    Forrest City, AR
    Vehicle:
    '09 Access Cab A/T 4banger
    It's an automagic

20. Mar 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    RyanPont

Member:
    Sorry Ive been misleading you guys with a critical piece of info. Both trucks Have 4x4, I thought I added that, untill I saw this comment. Sorry for my mistake.

Im going with the 09. The dealership with the 05 was shady. My friend showed me what they have in the 09. And ive seen the carfax, and I trust my friends work and mechanic since I hang out their alot and Ive had two other successful vehicles. And they left me use the lift and garage whenever I need.

Products Discussed in

To Top