1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami and Ordering a Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RiderOnTheStorm, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mar 16, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    RiderOnTheStorm

RiderOnTheStorm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Looking to Buy!
    Hello,

So I have been searching for a specific Tacoma (A/C with 2.7 and 5 speed) and I can't seem to find it, so I am considering ordering it.

However, then it struck me, X% of Tacoma parts are made in Japan and right now there are plant shut downs (for good reason) and probably limited manufacturing.

Will these shut downs (to end Thursday - WSJ) affect Tacoma production or if I decide to order her in a few weeks should everything be fine?

Thanks!

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 9:56 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The Tacomas are made in Texas and Mexico but I hadn't considered part supply .

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Engine and Tranny are made in Japan IIRC

4. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    according to my crystal ball. Yes.

5. Mar 16, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    70Firebird

70Firebird Member

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Base Access
    None
    Those 5-speeds are indeed hard to find in the midwest--my dealer didn't have any so they checked other dealers in the region with no luck; not sure how far away they looked. I had to get mine ordered, and it took 42 days from date of order to arrival.

You may not want to delay any, just in case. I would think they should have enough parts on hand to build some more, but it's hard to say...

Good luck!

6. Mar 16, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    70Firebird

70Firebird Member

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Base Access
    None
    You may not want to delay any, just in case. I would think they should have enough parts on hand to build some more, but it's hard to say...

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Right after I wrote this I see in today's paper: "Toyota is suspending overtime and production on Saturdays at all of its North American plants to assess the availability of car parts."

7. Mar 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
  8. Mar 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    takomabeast

takomabeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    SoCal (Torrance)
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Icon Stage 2, BFG KO2 275/70/R17, ProComp 7005 wheels
    Do they constantly send you email updates? I just ordered mine on March 11th and I know they said that the 15th of every month is when the order is submitted, but the status hasn't changed which means the order still has yet to be submitted. I tried calling vehicle services and no one answers. Im also wondering if there will be a delay...hopefully not because Im in need of a new car!

9. Mar 18, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    Updated Toyota Statement Regarding Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan
    NEW YORK, NY (March 16, 2011; Posted at 3:15 PM EDT) Regarding Toyota's North American operations, so far the impact is limited. All 13 North American vehicle and engine plants are running normally, although overtime has been curtailed for now to assure we maintain adequate inventories of parts that come from Japan. In addition, since most parts and materials for Toyota's North American-built vehicles are provided by suppliers in North America, this helps insulate Toyota's North American plants from production interruptions in Japan.

Regarding dealerships in the US, inventories are good with adequate levels of supply. Toyota now makes 12 different models in North America, including high-volume vehicles such as Camry, Corolla, RAV4, and Lexus RX 350, and nearly 70 percent of all Toyota and Lexus vehicles sold in the U.S. are made in North America. Prius vehicles are built in Japan, and thus impacted more by the production halt there. But for now inventory levels of the Prius at U.S. dealerships are generally still adequate.

Regarding battery production in Japan, while future production plans are to be determined, only one of three hybrid battery plants in Japan sustained limited damage from the earthquake. The other two plants are located in central Japan and were not affected. The company is making every effort to minimize any long-term impact on Prius availability.

Meanwhile, Toyota employees in the U.S. are very interested in contributing to relief efforts in Japan. To make their support go further, Toyota Affiliates in the U.S. will match their personal relief donations to the American Red Cross.

This is in addition to Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan donating 300 million yen (approximately $3.75 million) to support relief efforts.

We will continue to provide updates as new information becomes available.

10. Mar 22, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
  11. Mar 22, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    HomeGrown

HomeGrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    South Bend, IN
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4WD
    Engines and trannys are made here. I think engines come from Alabama, and trannys come from West Virginia. Some plants (KY) produce their own engines and trannys.

12. Mar 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    Yota Newb

Yota Newb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 5-Lug Regular Cab 2.7L 5 Speed
    Are you looking for a base model 2 wheel drive? Or 4x4?

13. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    A GM plant in Shreveport La. halted production last week due to part supplies from Japan being disrupted by the catastrophe. So even if vehicles are made in plants here, they could be subject to supplies from Japan.

14. Mar 22, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member:
    Santa Cruz County Ca.
    Updated Toyota Statement Regarding Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan
    NEW YORK, NY (March 22, 2011; Posted at 7:00 AM EDT) Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) has decided to continue the vehicle-production halt started on March 14 at all plants in Japan (including subsidiary vehicle manufacturers) through March 26. A decision on when vehicle production will resume in Japan has yet to be made.

Meanwhile, TMC parts plants in Japan resumed production of replacement parts for vehicles already on the market on March 17 and resumed the production of parts for overseas production on March 21.

Regarding Toyota's North American operations, so far the impact remains limited. All 13 North American vehicle and engine plants are running normally, although overtime has been curtailed to conserve parts that come from suppliers in Japan. Regarding dealerships in the U.S., inventories remain generally good.

We will continue to provide updates as new information becomes available.

15. Mar 23, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    More fine than NOT ordering it at all...

Interestingly, I've seen that even American car manufacturer's are expecting supply problems because so many component parts are made in Japan.

16. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:54 AM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    I asked this very question last week Supply Chain Problems as the Japanese company I work for is facing some serious challenges that are certain to affect US product availability.

RZ Rob

17. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    BeardedWeirdo

BeardedWeirdo Junior Mint

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 PreRunner
    Barcelona Red Pop & Lock, Tint, New Shoes, Removed Rear Headrests, Grille(in the works)
  18. Mar 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Thats what Im thinking.I know the early 05 engines were built in Japan before they got the plant in Alabama up and running cause I know my engine is from Japan, My build was Nov 04...

19. Apr 23, 2011 at 4:40 AM
    HellsWells

HellsWells Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Spencer
    Richmond, Va
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road Double Cab
    I ordered a double cab TRD offroad in early March from a local dealer here in Richmond. They have slipped the delivery date 3 times now (3 weeks total). I am now looking at an early/mid May delivery. The reason provided was the japan natural disaster.

Any other folks out there taking possession of a new Tacoma also seeing these types of impacts?

I too am trying to discern if these delays are truly related to the natural disaster or if they are related to local dealership 'processes'.

Products Discussed in

To Top