1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Optima Batteries

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Agent475, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:17 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 [OP] "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Well, since I am bored at work - I was reading up on some 4-wheelin and came across the below article. With all of the questions I see on batteries - what kind to use - etc., I thought that this might help those that are looking for something better than stock:

Next to the Flight Data Recorder, Maybe the Toughest Little Box in Transportation

[​IMG]
    The above headline comes from Optima’s off-roading version ad, and as you can see from the lead photograph, it looks like they ain’t lyin’. I’ve never tried to use any battery as a wheel ramp to gain some work space for working under my vehicles, but it looks like one could if one really needed to. Their ad goes on to say, “This is the only battery specifically designed to take abuse. The patented SPIRALCELL TECHNOLOGY offers far greater resistance than standard batteries to vibration (15X), heat and cold. It’s spill-proof and can be stored for long periods without maintenance. Plus it lasts twice as long.”
    Originally developed way back in 1967 in response to a military need for an advanced power supply, by 1973 the engineers started developing the groundwork for their now famous spiral wound cell technology. The patented technology that goes into Optima’s batteries is designed to be leak-proof, vibration resistant and maintenance-free while providing off-roaders with more starting power and longer cycle life. The basic chemical reaction in an Optima battery is no different than in a traditional lead acid battery. The differentiating characteristic is the way the chemical reaction is housed in the case. Other battery companies have found different ways to control the internal components of a battery, including “gel cells,” in which a silicate is added to the electrolyte to help immobilize the acid and “flat-plate AGM” batteries, which use an absorbent glass mat to immobilize the acid. Optima’s technology, however involves the complete reconfiguration of the layout of their battery’s internal components.
    Technology Specs Of All Optima Batteries

• Maximum starting power, regardless of ambient temperature
    • Up to fifteen times the vibration resistance
    • Up to twice the cycle life of regular lead acid batteries
    • Totally leak and spill proof-mountable in almost any position
    • Maintenance free life
    • Faster recharging capability
    The Gist Of The Battery’s Guts

[​IMG]
    First of all, let’s talk about Optima’s absorbent glass-mat (AGM) separators. All of the acid, necessary for the chemical reaction in any lead-acid battery, is contained in an absorbent glass mat, much like water in a sponge. This fiberglass mat is spiral-wound with the lead grids to create the necessary reaction. The acid is completely immobilized by the mat, making the battery fully leak-proof. In addition, the fast reaction between the acid and the plate material allows for more efficient discharging and faster recharging.
    Next, each of the six 2-volt cells contains a negative and positive lead grid and the AGM separators. These components are wound tightly in place in a compressed cylinder. This means that the chemical reaction is not as susceptible to vibrations and shedding that kills batteries. Thus, giving better performance, longer life and greater overall durability.
    The lead grids in these compressed spiral cells are less susceptible to stress on their structure than in a flat-plate application. The high purity lead grids in Optima’s helps make them resistant to internal breakdown and corrosion, especially at higher temperatures, giving increased cycle life. The connections between the cells are solid cast pieces, limiting the number of internal welds and adding to the battery’s durability.
    The battery cases are completely sealed so there’s no acid leaks to potentially damage your vehicle’s electrical components or paint. The leak-proof case also keeps the battery working at its full potential, even in harsh conditions. And as their ads say, Optima is up to 15 times more vibration resistant than traditional batteries. It is also different from traditional batteries in that it can be mounted in almost any position and just about anywhere, even in the passenger compartment.
    They Come In Colors For A Reason

Optima produces three separate battery lines, each one takes care of a particular need for the end user.
    The Red Top® gives high cranking power usually needed in off-road vehicles, trucks, and SUVs that also need deep cycling capabilities.
    The Yellow Top® is a true, dual purpose battery that is perfect for use on vehicles with winches and other accessories such as auxiliary lighting-where heavy cranking power and deep cycling power are needed. Group 34/78 Yellow Tops are the most widely used within the off-roading circles. And Optima has just released the new Group 75/25 & 35 Yellow Tops that supply these same dual purpose deep cycle capabilities for a number of vehicle applications where only the Red Tops were available before.
    For those who also take their off-road adventures to the water, there is the Blue Top® for marine applications that need starting power and deep cycle capability for electric trolling motors, and onboard electronics like those used to help find the fishies.
    [​IMG]
    New to Optima’s product line are customized battery covers and mounting adapters designed to fit many of its Yellow Top and Red Top batteries. The covers currently fit the Group 34/78 Red Top and Yellow Top battery sizes for side terminal applications, and allow for complete customization of the engine bay as they can be painted to match the color scheme of a vehicle. They also completely conceal the top terminals to provide additional short circuit protection. The adapters are unique to the different battery sizes available, and are designed to make Optima’s batteries fit into an extended range of vehicle models.

Source: Optima Batteries, Inc. • 17500 East 22nd. Avenue • Aurora, CO 80011 • 888-867-8462 • www.optimabatteries.com

2. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Newb

Member:
    La Quinta, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR 4x4 Manual
    8112, SPC, Elka 2.0 rear and Icon AAL. About 1.5”
    FWIW

I have this in my 2004. I had to extend one of my terminal cables for it to fit...

3. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I love my red top!

4. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:27 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I've got a yellow top in my 06 -- fits with the stock cables. The battery securing arm also fits as long as you use the supplied battery tray to increase the height. I bought a billet tray clamp which I'll install tomorrow and post pics... :D

5. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    I'm getting a yellow top soon, any of you guys had any problem with fitting a yellow top in there with the stock cables? (I have an '03 Tacoma DBL cab 4x4 with the 3.4)

Thanks a lot!

6. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:37 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I had a red top in my last truck, Never had a problem with it. I would love to add two dual red tops to my taco in the future :D

7. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:42 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    So I was just looking at the optima site and I cant find a diference between the red top and yellow tops. Anyone know what it is?

8. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:48 PM
    Zombie Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    cool thanks for the help
    +1 bulldog

9. Dec 18, 2008 at 1:49 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Got a yellow top in the jeep. It's been good & faithful for years including sitting in the garage for weeks without being started. I actually left the lights on and the battery was dead.... we hooked it up to a charger and it's good to go.

10. Dec 18, 2008 at 2:05 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    I have got mixed feelings about Optimas. I had a pair of yellow tops to power the winch in my Land Rover and they didn't last long - a friend of mine had the same thing happen. Had to chuck them out after about 2 yrs. It seems that they are almost impossible to get back from a very low charge state.

11. Dec 18, 2008 at 3:14 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    In general, the Red Tops are very vulnerable to dying if they get to an undercharged state - even just from being garaged.

Also in general, the Yellow Tops (being deep cycle designs) don't typically 'die' as easily as the Red Tops.

More specifically, there have been periods during which Optima has had quality control problems (some of which the company has openly admitted), and this has added to the negative feedback.

My first Red Top died after about 1.5 years. Because it was built in the 2004 timeframe (when there were admitted QC problems) I gave them another chance and got a replacement Red Top. The second one died in about 6 months.

12. Dec 18, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    monoman

monoman Time to get dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Exotic, San Jose, Cal.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Tacoma SR Access Cab 4X4
    SnugTop SuperSport shell CaliRaisedLED light bar Toyo Open Country AT/3's Bilstein 5100's up front, (#2) & 4600 in rear Daily driver....
    Yea, I have heard that the yellow tops are deep cycle & last longer than the red tops. I sure hope it lasts longer than 2 years though!:mad:

13. Dec 20, 2008 at 10:14 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Here's the tray installed:

[​IMG]

14. Dec 21, 2008 at 5:05 PM
    dropthattaco

dropthattaco \\//\\// ][ IL IL

Member:
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma turbo 2.4l
    Lowered 3/4, hillbilly black steel rims, T3/T4 turbo, water-air I/C, Detroit tru-trac, and much much more...
    Yeah my red top didn't fit in the stock location (batt. cable too short), so Io put that bitch in the bed, and never looked back. It was my second red top and the first lasted 6 years for me (and I got it used). I might not ever buy another battery brand. Just my .02 though.

15. Dec 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Yep! Best battery made! I run 3 of them in my boat. One of the batteries is at least 7 years old & still going strong.

16. Dec 21, 2008 at 6:03 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I'm thinking that I'll be needing a new battery soon, probably going to go with the 34R.

17. Jan 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    SteelCity

SteelCity Wherever I May Roam

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    06 Radiant Rd DC LB PreRunner SR5 V6
    Optima Red/Stinger Terms, DT Headers, Empire O2 sim, Bluetooth, USASpec PA12TOY, Redline Struts, Extang Tonneu, OEM Bed Mat/front Skid/Roof Rack, Grillcraft Grille, Susp TSB, Toytec 1/2" front spacers, Raammat/Ensolite, Sony GTs, Curt Hitch, Tranny cooler, Wet Okoles, AFE Pro-Dry Drop in, Muth Sig Mirrors, Temp/Comp RVM, Silverstar HLs/Fogs, Royal Purple Diff/PS Fluid, Detroit Truetrac LSD, Hellwig rear sway bar, SG II, Filter Mag, 265/75/16 Nitto TGs
    I love my red top, but it was a PIA to get that sucker in. My pos. cable was just a bit to short so I had to add some cable to it.

18. Jan 8, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    What Odyssey battery do you use in the Taco? Do you know the group number.

Optima seem so hyped.

19. Jan 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I keep hearing that people have had to lengthen their cables to get the Optimas to fit -- my yellow top fit perfectly... hmm...

maybe the top terminals on the red top are in a different location than the yellow top? Mine's a size 35R.

20. Jan 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM
    Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Well-Known Member

Member:
    East of the Mississippi, South of the Ohio
    Vehicle:
    stump jumper
    modified for light trail use
    It has to be an "R" series battery to fit as the "R" stands for Reversed (terminals). I have a 34r going on it's 3rd year in my truck.

And...they make lots of Optima boxes to fit the battery/truck that aren't machined billet and don't cost $100+. I have a Blue Torch Fab box I paid $40+ shipping for.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top