1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ultimate Camping Thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by davestaco, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    davestaco

davestaco [OP] TW's number one gear whore

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma xtra cab trd v6 4x4
    im gonna stick to vibram just cause they have had them out for a while so they are well tested

2. Mar 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    it takes a lot of work! That includes my mummy bag, the hammock, and the pack itself.

http://www.backpacking.net/featured3.html

Download that program (free). I have been able to shed almost 20 lbs off my back with that by weighing all of my gear and looking at it really closely and take out things that are not needed or replacing the heavy things with light/multi-use items.

3. Mar 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
    My Boss, who is actually wearing his pair now, swears by them. He's a huge trail, marathon runner, and does nothing but praise them. I guess it takes a lil get used too. I've only tried them on once, and I really liked the feel. Took me a lil bit to get my toes where they needed to be. Nice all around shoe!

4. Mar 15, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    davestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    Ill give it a shot but i have a little saying i like to live buy... its "Pack light, cold at night"

5. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    hardground

hardground Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR DC V6 Manual
    OME Lift, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, BlendMount & Mirror Tap ,TRD Quickshifter, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, Red Line Hood Struts, Bak Roll-X
    I hear you Hoyal and agree that if you have a strong foot no problem, which you have. What I've seen are inexperienced hikers with boots that flex too much. This leads to foot, ankle and leg injuries. What I said was fold not bend. What i meant by fold is that you can touch the toe to the top of the tongue of the boot. There is no reason to wear a boot that flexes that much since your foot does not flex that much. My boots bend about 30 degrees.
    Had a REI rep sell my girlfriend a pair of boots that flex way too much and on our last hike she was in a lot a pain. My fault for not being there or educating her more. Don't want that to happen to anyone.
    Here in New England most of the trails are not cleared like they are in other parts of the country, not saying they are in CO. My friend hiked the AT last year, north to south, and started with boots in the north and bought trail shoes for the easier southern trails. No need for the extra weight and support if it is not needed, so again I agree. Happy Hiking

6. Mar 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    :D that is true... unless you have the proper materials! My last trip I was around 30... after I added that big ass tent on to the pack but stayed very cozy in 15 degree weather. Normally winter backpacking I am near the 30 lb area because of the extra bit of gear. I am super anal now about what I bring. I often pack, unpack, pack, unpack, and pack again to find out what I don't need. Usually start looking at everything about 3 weeks in advance. :rolleyes:

7. Mar 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    I love my vibrams, especially for wet hikes. I used to go on an over night that required 26 river crossings in about 10 miles. easy hike and lots of water, but other than that you would need to have really strong feet and ankles to carry a lood for any distance in them. Now that i moved to CO, i doubt ill be wearing them much backpacking. Ill stick to my boots and shoes.

I was on my way to hiking the AT (Appalacian trail) two years ago, and got to be a "weight weenie", cut my tooth bruch in half to save weight. I was down to 16 lbs dry weight and 33 loaded down with 6 days of food and 2 L of water.

Im looking forward to the warmer weather here in CO, im ready to climb some 14ers and explore everything....never backpacked out here

8. Mar 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    heres a couple I only had my phone with me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Mar 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    davestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    well that tent looks familiar

10. Mar 15, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    davestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    i went camping in 20 degrees this winter and didnt to to well lol. I dont handle the cold well. it was a good experience though. i think the fun oart is finding out your boundries and figuring out how to go past them

11. Mar 15, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    haha yeah. Cold weather camping is not for everyone. If you have the right stuff, it can be great. Sometimes, I like winter camping better than summer. I cant stand the humidity around here so if I am in an area without and wind blowing, it can be absolutely miserable. In the winter, if I get hot, I can take a layer of clothes off and be better. I love pushing the limits though. I take backpacking as a time to find myself and find out who I am a little each time.

12. Mar 15, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    davestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    that brings up a good question for all who are subbed to this thread....Why do you go hiking, camping, kyaking, or whatever outdoor activity it is that you do? what keep you going back? what got you started in it?

13. Mar 15, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    brow

brow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dodge Ram 1500
    Well my hippy parents got me started. When I was young it seemed like every other weekend was a random camping trip.

At this point I keep doing it for a few reasons, I crave the simplicity of it, life can just get to hectic. I've always loved the outdoors, being in nature surrounded by the nothing but wildlife. I have a feeling one of these days I may end up driving north eith my dig and never looking back, it's the main reason I Havnt gotten to Alaska yet, I don't think I would ever leave.

Not to mention I get to chop wood, start fires, be barefoot and generally revert to being a caveman.

The whole philosophical view of camping that I have came about on a trip to the wind river range in Wyoming. Before that I never realized there were places you could go for a week of backpacking, never see another person or even a footprint, stand on the continental divide and see nothing but mountains in every direction, without a man made structure in view. It definately changed me and my views on things.

14. Mar 15, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    My dad got me hooked to backpacking. I keep going back because I love the outdoors. When things get crazy in life, it is nice to get away from everything for a few days and clear the mind and get a hold of myself again. Another reason is, I just get tired of looking at the city... I like to find a challenge for myself while I am backpacking. I think it is fun to go back to the old days and try starting a fire without a light and all of that kind of stuff.

15. Mar 15, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/articles/2011/01/09/youre_crazy/

At least read this before switching... I was going to try them, and after reading this and realizing I have had no problems as is, why even risk it.

16. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck

^ Couldn't have said it any better!

But I'll add to it. I also like challenging myself, and pushing my limits. This only expands my limitations and let's me know more about myself. I like being alone, taking a step back, to reflect on my life, the world, and everything in it. It helps clear my mind, and re-open my eyes.

I just got back from a camp trip, and it was really the first time I ever rock climbed ( Bouldered ). It was awesome, and I found out what I was capable of. Now I'm looking into rock climbing gear haha!! So here's to another expensive hobby!!!

17. Mar 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    saltwater taco

saltwater taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Telluride, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 3.4 5spd 4x4 TRD
    softopper, sleeping platform
    I have a lot of the same reasons. I like the simplicity of it most. I'd rather worry about where I'm going to sleep and what I'm going to eat than writing an essay on time. I also like seeing new things and exploring new places. BTW ya'll should check out AWOL on the Appalacian Trail. Its a great book so far.

18. Mar 16, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    speaking of books and hiking... this is seriously a MUST READ... and it's hilarious. you'll be glad you did...

http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-Appalachian-Official/dp/0767902521

19. Mar 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    mntbiker2008

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    Anyone in the Kentucky/ southern Ohio area... I came across this posting on craigslist. I have been talking to the guy. It sounds really awesome and he is looking for people to jump on board.

AIR/ LAND/ SEA

(For posting purposes the dates of the event are not set, and are approximate)
    May / 2011
    Outdoor Adventure / "O.A."

Before reading this message, please remember that this is NOT a job offer. This is for people that want to become a part of our organization. This organization is based on outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, backpacking, fishing, rappelling, and much more. Please do not respond if you are looking to join the organization for a source of income!!!

Thank you to everyone that responded to my post "Outdoor Adventure" or "O.A."

I have received many replies to my posting and now I will release more of the details. Previously, I had to be very secretive with my posting simply because I didn't want to attract the wrong people.

With that out of the way now, I believe I have just enough people to move forward to the next step.

I am sure this post /email will only raise more questions, but that's to be expected. During the rest of this email / post I use the term "We" as in the people I have already contacted and those that have contacted me so far. Not everyone will be able to meet the requirements for this Outdoor Adventure but that depends on each individual.

Everyone is welcome to try for ANY Role we have open. Just because you don't have experience in a certain area does not mean that you can't eventually be trained for that role!!! No matter what the role may be!

Here is a list of what we need and who we are still looking for.

Participants:

These will be the Hikers, Campers, Backpackers, and any other title you can throw out there.

The plan: There will be objectives to meet, alternate routes to travel, and rough terrain to cover. There will be Teams: Find some people that are as outgoing as you are and add them to your team. The people that you choose may come from anywhere! Your work, your job, family, friends, or a mix of all. You must have either created a team or opted to join another team to participate.

(Please wait until after our group meeting to see if you are still interested in the O.A. before you start building your team!)

Prizes: Yes, there will be a First Place, Second Place, and Third Place winners. These winners will receive cash prizes. The amount of these prizes will be announced later. (Again, we have to hold some information.)

Just to be fair to those that can't handle the unknown, ideally, I would like to see the First Prize cash award to be in a range between $2,000.00 (Two Thousand dollars) to $5,000.00 (Five Thousand dollars).

This is just an estimated range and is contingent on many factors. This is not a guarantee of these amounts. Exact amounts will be decided and announced to all participants at least 2 weeks prior to the initial O.A..

Second and Third place award amounts will also be determined at that time.

Roles:

There are many Roles that each person or team may try for. These Roles fall under three different categories.

1: Participant - "Anyone that is actively involved in the Outdoor Adventure for the sole purpose of competing to win a cash prize."

If you want to win, you must enter the "O.A." and compete as a participant. You will not be eligible for any other Roles while you are an active participant.

2: OPS - (Operations) "Any person or group that is NOT actively involved as a participant, but has assumed a role that qualifies them to function in the O.A. as a member of operations."

These individuals or groups are involved with the operations, setup and execution of the O.A.

Some of these roles may lead to situations where the individual or group would be paid for their involvement.

3: S.P.L - (Strategic Planning & Logistics) these permanent member roles are the infrastructure of the organization. These members are behind the scenes and primarily control the organization. Permanent members will attend and serve as OPS for all events.

Some of these roles may lead to situations where the individual or group would be paid for their involvement.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Roles Open to lead Participants:

Unit Commanders / UC's

(UC's are "OPS/CMD" and do not function as Participants!)

# of members needed: (4)

Roles: 1st Unit Commander / UC-1 & 2nd Unit Commander / UC-2

Unit Leaders / UL's

(UL's are "OPS/CMD" and do not function as Participants!)

1st Unit Leader / UL-1 & 2nd Unit Leader / UL-2

If you think you have the skills to become a member of this group, reply with this in your subject area: "OPS/CMD”

_______________________________________________________________________________________

OPS/CMD (Operations Command)

These Roles are for those that possess the qualities and attributes of a leader. These individuals are the elite. Roles are available for those that meet the requirements. These individuals will be tested for levels of knowledge, real world hands on skills, reliability, performance ethics, dedication and loyalty to the role.

If you think you have the skills to become a member of these groups listed below, reply with this in your subject area:

"OPS / CMD / ??ROLE???"

The ROLE you wish to try out for is listed below. Copy the ROLE and paste it into the SUBJECT area.

EXAMPLE:

Subject area of your reply email: "OPS / CMD / Membership and Services"

Here is what we are looking for:

# of members needed: 18+2 Medical, EMT, EMS, First Responders. 18 persons+ Two Leads.

# of members needed: 6+2 ATV Four Wheeler Drivers (Must own your own vehicle!) + Lights. 6 Drivers+ Two Leads.

# of members needed: 2+1 Membership and Services. Two personnel and one Lead. (S.P.L.)

# of members needed: 9+1 Radio, Telephone, Satellite, Telecommunications. Nine personnel, one Lead. (OPS/CMD)

# of members needed: 4+1 Navigation/coordinates (Must be able to quickly read and navigate to lines of latitude and longitude), charts, GPS, and low light movement. (OPS/CMD)

# of members needed: 6+2 Transportation. Six personnel, two Leads. (S.P.L. & OPS/CMD)

# of members needed: 4+1 Errand Runners. (OPEN)

# of members needed: 3+1 Safety Coordinators. Two personnel, one Lead.

# of members needed: 9+1 Police Officers, Sheriffs Deputies, Corrections Officers. (These roles do not try out, but the requests are accepted if the role has an opening.)

INFO:

Fortunately I still have a job. With that being said, please understand that I have LOTS of emails to answer from everyone. It is very difficult to answer everyone right away. Please do not resend your emails. I will answer every email that I received that has the correct subject line, so please be patient.

Am I serious about this? YES.

Why am I doing this? I got tired of doing the same old thing day after day. I was tired of going to work and getting home late, just to eat and go to bed.

I looked forward to my trips to the rivers, and lakes and kayaking twice a year. Wishing I did things more often was just a wish. It wasn't a money issue, it was just difficult to find friends to go with. I am almost 40 now and I still love doing all those things. It was time to get everyone together, have some fun and write down in my book that I did something great again. It's always fun to do something, but it's even better when you have friends there with you to remember the day. To be able to tell the same story together. I want to have fun outdoors because that’s what I enjoy. It's time to share it with everyone.....that can handle it!

If anyone wants his contact info, pm me and I will be glad to get it for you. It looks pretty cool. I am going to be doing the medical portion of it all.

20. Mar 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    davestaco

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    ^ dang he is takin that super serious. It sounds like an application for a show like survivor lol

Products Discussed in

To Top