1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

best home defense and all around gun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by beastlytaco, Jul 24, 2009.

?

best home defense

Poll closed Aug 23, 2009.
  1. mossberg 500

39.1%
  2. remington 830

13.0%
  3. NEF pump gun

4.3%
  4. other

43.5%
  1. Aug 18, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Defense attorneys like witnesses or recordings that document that you attempted to diffuse the situation (STOP-GET AWAY) before the violence started.
    This bravado about shoot first is how private citizens get their ass in jail for defending themselves and the anti-personal defense types say guns in private citizens' hands just lead to more violence.
    Cover your ass with more than bravado.
    Think before you act.
    I hear alot of bold statements in this thread without a lot of brain function.
    Think.

2. Aug 18, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    A bright light in total or near total darkness will temporarily blind someone. That is why the flashbang grenade is so effective.

3. Aug 18, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Yeah...I just tested this with my 105 lm flash light. Seemed my vision recovered very quickly once the light was off though. I can see how this could help in a situation "maybe"......

4. Aug 18, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    The military loves it...

5. Aug 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    you are pretty much correct on this.. but if its me, my family and the intruder in the house.. the intruder is dead, my family was under such duress they dont exactly recall the situation to the fullest and they have my statement whos there to say i didnt tell him to stop first????

6. Aug 18, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Just tested this with my Ultra stinger. 295 Lm. My vision recovered about 2 seconds after I turned it off. All i see is a spot in the middle but still can see things in front of me to make out what it is. Just a thought, usually when someone flashed you with a flashlight who here closes their eyes? I know I do.

7. Aug 18, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    Fire931

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    amen!! i only need two things to kill someone.. they need a means to hurt me and i need to fear for my life.. well he broke into my house so most likely he has a way to harm me... and i woke up to an intruder and feared for my life.. done deal.

8. Aug 18, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    Fire931

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i would have to agree about the flashlight being a QUICK method of disrupting an intruder. it will mess up your night vision if flashed correctly when not expecting it. however i'm not gonna rely on that as at best its only gonna last a second, and whos to say he's not gonna just start the old spray and pray while blinded?? not gonna chance it.

and yes a flashbang works wonders... but its working off a different sets of parameters than just a small flashlight.

9. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    I play golf all the time with 3 players that have been and play often on PGA tours, certainly doesn't make me a Professional golfer.

I accept you probably shoot the S*** with the guys, but what you pick up the few hours here and there isn't even scratching the surface of the YEARS of actual experience and knowledge they have from being in those situations.

don't insult our profession.

10. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    ryanf

ryanf Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    06 AC 4X4 6cly/6spd TRD-OR
    Rain Visors,
    nice.

11. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    one thing fire just touched on that may not have been sufficiently covered

lethal force = 3 things - ability, opportunity, and jeopardy

the "threat" has to have the present ability to kill or severely hurt you, and the opportunity to do so...and you have to feel like your life is in jeopardy

as chris stated earlier...theres not many better ways of expressing that fear than pissing your pants

as far as my ignorance etc etc

i dont think i need to say anything further about what my training and skillset holds over a competition shooter

12. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You act like your a cop or something....:p

13. Aug 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i dont know shit

im making this up as i go

:anonymous:

14. Aug 18, 2009 at 10:57 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    seems as if this has turned into, " how I would kill somebody in my home"

funny how it got sooooooooo off topic. but what ever. hahaha. this is TW this stuff happens

15. Aug 21, 2009 at 11:27 PM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    Found this interesting piece for all you Californians out there. Number 3 tells you what you can do for home defense. http://www.self-defender.net/law4.htm

3. THE USE OF FIREARMS IN DEFENSE OF LIFE AND PROPERTY
    The question of whether use of a firearm is justified for self-defense cannot be reduced to a simple list of factors. This section is based on the instructions generally given to the jury in a criminal case where self-defense is claimed and illustrates the general rules regarding use of firearms in self-defense.
    Use of a Firearm or Other Deadly Force in Defense of Life and Body
    The killing of one person by another may be justifiable when necessary to resist the attempt to commit a forcible and life-threatening crime, provided that a reasonable person in the same or similar situation would believe that (a) the person killed intended to commit a forcible and life-threatening crime; (b) there was imminent danger of such crime being accomplished; and (c) the person acted under the belief that such force was necessary to save himself or herself or another from death or a forcible and life-threatening crime. Murder, mayhem, rape, and robbery are examples of forcible and life-threatening crimes.
    Self-Defense Against Assault
    It is lawful for a person being assaulted to defend himself or herself from attack if he or she has reasonable grounds for believing, and does in fact believe, that he or she will suffer bodily injury. In doing so, he or she may use such force, up to deadly force, as a reasonable person in the same or similar circumstances would believe necessary to prevent great bodily injury or death. An assault with fists does not justify use of a deadly weapon in self-defense unless the person being assaulted believes, and a reasonable person in the same or similar circumstances would also believe, that the assault is likely to inflict great bodily injury.
    It is lawful for a person who has grounds for believing, and does in fact believe, that great bodily injury is about to be inflicted upon another to protect the victim from attack. In so doing, the person may use such force as reasonably necessary to prevent the injury. Deadly force is only considered reasonable to prevent great bodily injury or death.
    NOTE: The use of excessive force to counter an assault may result in civil or criminal penalties.
    Protecting One’s Home
    A person may defend his or her home against anyone who attempts to enter in a violent manner intending violence to any person in the home. The amount of force that may be used in resisting such entry is limited to that which would appear necessary to a reasonable person in the same or similar circumstances to resist the violent entry. One is not bound to retreat, even though a retreat might safely be made. One may resist force with force, increasing it in proportion to the intruder’s persistence and violence, if the circumstances apparent to the occupant would cause a reasonable person in the same or similar situation to fear for his or her safety.
    The occupant may use a firearm when resisting the intruder’s attempt to commit a forcible and life-threatening crime against anyone in the home provided that a reasonable person in the same or similar situation would believe that (a) the intruder intends to commit a forcible and life-threatening crime; (b) there is imminent danger of such crime being accomplished; and (c) the occupant acts under the belief that use of a firearm is necessary to save himself or herself or another from death or great bodily injury. Murder, mayhem, rape, and robbery are examples of forcible and life-threatening crimes.
    Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or great bodily injury within his or her residence shall be presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household when that force is used against another person, not a member of the family or household, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence and the person using the force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry had occurred. Great bodily injury means a significant or substantial physical injury. (Penal Code § 198.5.)
    NOTE: If the presumption is rebutted by contrary evidence, the occupant may be criminally liable for an unlawful assault or homicide.
    Defense of Property
    The lawful occupant of real property has the right to request a trespasser to leave the premises. If the trespasser does not do so within a reasonable time, the occupant may use force to eject the trespasser.
    The amount of force that may be used to eject a trespasser is limited to that which a reasonable person would believe to be necessary under the same or similar circumstances.
    Limitations on the Use of Force in Self-Defense
    The right of self-defense ceases when there is no further danger from an assailant. Thus, where a person attacked under circumstances initially justifying self-defense renders the attacker incapable of inflicting further injuries, the law of self-defense ceases and no further force may be used.
    The right of self-defense is not initially available to a person who assaults another. However, if such person attempts to stop further combat and clearly informs the adversary of his or her desire for peace but the opponent nevertheless continues the fight, the right of self-defense returns and is the same as the right of any other person being assaulted.

16. Aug 22, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    well anyone considering buying a firearm for personal defense should take proper classes generally in these classes a lot of the laws are explained...I learned a lot from my Concealed Carry Class....I plan to go back and take some more classes that his Security company offers....He himself is retired swat and patrolman...other guys he has working for him are city vice/swat...and retired special forces....as I said take the classes and learn...b/c if you pay attention you will learn and you will be safer with your firearm...as many have said just b/c you have a gun doesnt mean your good with it...and you may unintenionally harm yourself,loved ones, or bystanders....

17. Aug 22, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    so if someone breaks into my home and i kill/shoot them, i should piss my pants... seems doable

18. Sep 3, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    375taco

375taco controlled pair?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    OME lift w/ 1" spacer. Built Right UCA's. Tinted all the way around. De-badged. Trimming up front
    someof you guys are funny, i think it depends on the house set up and situation. 12 gauge is great espically when the guy hears you rack it he is gone. but think tactically. what makes sense for the situation.

19. Mar 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM
    davestaco

davestaco TW's number one gear whore

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Schofield Barracks
    Vehicle:
    00' tacoma xtra cab trd v6 4x4
    hahah i got a 4-10 gauge shot gun at the ready. I dont wanna kill the intruder. I want him to suffer and remember the experience lol. But the 4-10 is about to be replaced by a Mossberg 590A1 or a 930 SPX......cant make up my mind

20. Mar 21, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    ViperJay

ViperJay These are the voyages...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    El Paso, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 Radiant Red DCLB Sport 4x4
    URD CAI, DTLT Headers, Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, Aero 2540i muffler, NST Pulleys, URD MAF Calibrator, Icon 2.5 Coilovers , Bilstein 5100s in rear with All Pro 3" Leaf pack, Total Chaos UCAs, 2 Kicker 12" CVT Subwoofers w/Kicker ZX350.2 Amp, JVC KD-AVX77 stereo, ARE Camper Shell, 1 20" LED bar and 2 7" LED bars in front, 4 KC 6" HID Slimlites mounted on Bajarack roof rack, sliders, Cobra 29 XLR CB Radio, Icom IC-207H UHF/VHF Radio, Bed Lighting, Fog light mod, Projector Retrofit Headlights HID 5000k, HID fog lights 4300k, BHLM, LED taillights and turn signals, Glassworks front fenders, Blue Sea Fuse Box, Mil-Spec Battery Terminals, Odyssey PC2150 battery, Satoshi Grill, All-Pro Front Bumper
    Dang no one would dare raid Chris' house....not with that^

Products Discussed in

To Top