1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XM Account Info in Non-Volatile RAM?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by RZRob, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    RZRob

RZRob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    Hi folks,

When I bought my used '06 Tacoma it had XM radio. I've had the truck for over a year and the XM hasn't quit. I'm curious though. If I disconnect the battery and reconnect will I need account info to reactivate it? What if I change the Tacoma radio? Can I switch XM receivers or is that going too far and I'll need some special account info? Anyone know the ins & outs of these things?

RZ Rob

XMReceiver_585aaf41fa9f9b99dfcf0a14537b734b6c1f1d38.jpg

2. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    There's only one way to find out. Let us know if it stops once you disconnect the battery cables, so I know not to do it.

3. Mar 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I think the XM subscription is based on the radio. I know I had to give them the serial number of the radio when it was activated. I don't think you would have a problem disconnecting the battery, but you might have a problem if you switched radios.

4. Mar 27, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    enigma429ad

enigma429ad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Olive Branch, MS
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DC LB
    I had that XM set up, believe it's a commander. No you won't lose your account if you disconnect. if you switch receivers you'll have to call and tell them to switch serials. the way the commander works though you could switch radios and still plug it into your aftermarket. it has an aux plugin set up or a radio signal you can use.

5. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    RZRob

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    Wow, good information. Thanks folks. I've been nervous about that since day 1. I probably won't switch head units then as I lack any authorization codes etc.

RZ Rob

6. Mar 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    Stack Knots

Stack Knots Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Off-Road

Listen to him 100% correct!

7. Mar 28, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    RZRob

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    I sort of knew this, but got my point across - and got the answer I needed. As always, TacomaWorld quenched my thirst for information.

Thanks,

RZ Rob

8. Mar 28, 2011 at 7:15 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    huh?

Non-volatile memory, nonvolatile memory, NVM or non-volatile storage, in the most basic sense, is computer memory that can retain the stored information even when not powered. Examples of non-volatile memory include read-only memory, flash memory, most types of magnetic computer storage devices (e.g. hard disks, floppy disks, and magnetic tape), optical discs, and early computer storage methods such as paper tape and punched cards.

9. Mar 28, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    but flash memory is also a form of NVRAM as my definition states, so there is such a thing as NVRAM. any RAM that maintains it's data when power is removed is NVRAM.

Non-volatile random-access memory (NVRAM) is random-access memory that retains its information when power is turned off, which is described technically as being non-volatile.

NVRAM is a subgroup of the more general class of non-volatile memory types, the difference being that NVRAM devices offer random access, unlike hard disks.

10. Mar 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    gbtoy4x4

gbtoy4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver TRD AC OR 4x4 6sp
    Factory Silver Sport Grill, Gray TRD Shift Knob, BFG 285/75/16 AT's, Debadged, AFE Cai, TRD Short Shifter, Redline Hood Struts, Leer Topper, Budbilt Front, Mid+Xcase Skids, ELocker Skid, Icon C/O, Built Right UCA's, Rear 2in AAL w/Bilstiens, AP U-Bolt flip, 1" 4Crawler Body Lift, Relentless Front Bumper w/Lights + Sliders, Rear Breather Mod, 5 ProComp 7089 Rims, AP SS Brake Lines, Famous Fab HC Rear Bumper W/Swing Out Tire Carrier, Synthetic Brake Fluid, Synthetic Power Steering Fluid, Front Superbumps, Hood Blackout,
    Your codes/serials are on channel 0 w/phone #

11. Mar 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    RZRob

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    Wow, I had no idea I'd learn so much today.

RZ Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top