1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worried about paint job

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by pyroskier, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Apr 7, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    pyroskier

pyroskier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    Alright guys, so I rolled my Taco 7 days after I bought it (3 weeks ago), and it's in the shop now getting fixed up. I have confidence in the body shop I took it to, but I can't help worrying about the paint quality when I get it back (matching and such). My truck is a 2004 Ext cab, in Silver (Lunar mist???). When I bought it, it looked BRAND new. Nothing wrong with it at all, a gem.

They're going to have to replace the passenger door skin, saw-off part of the body under the ext cab window and put new sheet metal on, and replace the pass. side fender and repaint the whole pass side bed. He said they'll have to re-paint 2/3 of the truck.

What are your guys' opinions? I know you kinda have to know how well a shop does to answer that, but should I be worried? I've been sitting here going over all of the worst-case scenarios in my head the last week. Do they usually do a good job matching paint if it's a reputable shop? I'm afraid my truck just isn't going to be the same when I get it back.

627817146_2243263302_0.jpg

2. Apr 7, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    It'll never be the same, but a good body shop can get it good enough so you'd have to try to remember wrecking it. You said you trust them, so.....

3. Apr 7, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Depending on the shop, it could come out better than factory. Toyota's are really cheap on the paint from the factory. Cheap on the clear too. A conventional 2-coat base, 2-coat clear at a body shop will actually provide you with MORE product on your panels than what came stock, so that's a good thing.

If you're concerned about the vehicle, why not ask exactly what is getting painted, and ask if they're blending. Blending is the process of lightly sanding the panel adjacent to the repair panel. The painter then paints the repaired panel, and shoots a bit of colour on the adjacent blend panel. The result is a colour match that is not noticable to the eye. As long as they're blending, you should be OK with colour match.

4. Apr 7, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    pyroskier

pyroskier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Laramie, WY
    Vehicle:
    2004 Ext Cab TRD 3.4
    Thanks man. It's the local GM collision center, and they did an awesome job when we hit an f-ing MOOSE in my dad's Chevy 2500. But again, GM car, GM body shop. But they did a great job, and I'm sure they'll do nothing less on my baby. I'm just panicking you know, (brand new truck :( )
    Thanks for the support.

5. Apr 7, 2011 at 8:30 PM
    Night

Night Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR AC MagGrey
    Banks Monster Exhaust, aFe ProGuard 7, 3M Film, UnderCoating, alpine 920 headunit, alpine 6.5 components, 20% tint all around, JL Stealthbox, PDX-V9 Amp, Avid Lightbar, Avid Sliders, Full Metal JackRabbit Tonneau, TRD S/C
    I had my scratch fixed(came with the truck) at the dealer as warranty work, they had to paint it 3 times, and now I have more scratches than originally. something you have to live with I guess.

Products Discussed in

To Top